Thread: Sealing Marine Plywood

Default Sealing Marine Plywood

At least a year ago there was a thread on sealing/protecting marine ply with several products recommended. Of course, I can't find the thread now.

Anyone have a link to the thread or sealer recommendations they can pass along? I have to replace the wooden deck in an aluminum skiff, and I don't want to do it again any time soon.

Spar varnish. Tough and chemical resistant. Used it to finish new floor boards I built for an inflatabgle I owned years ago, (the originals were sealed with same) also used it to finish some shop benches I built for my auto repair shop some years ago and it held up admirably. Designed for the marine environment.

That was my inclination, but I wanted to check on some of the newer finishes guys were talking about in that thread.

I'm going to carpet it over anyway, but in my experience carpet can be pretty hard on wood beneath it due to holding the water and gurry lots longer.

Epoxy coat it. Isn't too hard to do and super durable.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Epoxy with a layer of fiberblass, 4 oz cloth as a minimum. It's also critical you properly seal the edges of the ply. That is best done by supporting the sheet on edge, paiting the edge with epoxy, and repeat as the epoxy soaks in. Once the edge won't suck up any more epoxy, then put a layer of glass on the edge. You'll also need to put a slight radius on the edge so the glass contours around the edge. Then you'll need to prime and paint to protect the epoxy from UV exposure.

If you use fir marine ply, it is prone to checking, so you defintaley want to use a layer of glass.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'd just soak it in Thomsons Water Seal unless you are going for a photo in Better Homes & Boats!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    I'd just soak it in Thomsons Water Seal unless you are going for a photo in Better Homes & Boats!
    Hadn't thought of Thomsons, but that's a good addition to the list of possibilities. Thanks.

All the old maine wooden boat builders used to use red lead bridge paint, they painted the entire bilge with it. I'm betting you can't get it anymore but maybe a few good coats of driveway sealer would seal up the wood. Make sure that you can get air flow to the bottom of the deck it sure makes it last a lot longer. The deck in my bowpicker was fiberglass coated plywood with the underside left raw, i always opened up hatches to let it air/dry out, that deck was in perfect shape after 20 years.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I am a newbe just joined because I purchaes some Property at Canyon Lake. I am currently emplyed as a Yacht Carprnter
    in Ft. Lauderdale. The sealer we use is called "E-Bond" its a two part epoxy paint the penatrates great, dries fast and is
    much easier and cheaper than regular epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    I am a newbe just joined because I purchaes some Property at Canyon Lake. I am currently emplyed as a Yacht Carprnter
    in Ft. Lauderdale. The sealer we use is called "E-Bond" its a two part epoxy paint the penatrates great, dries fast and is
    much easier and cheaper than regular epoxy.
    Are you using this on wood? I did a search and it sounds like a metal treatment only...I found no mention of its use with wood or any pricing info. I'm all about cheaper and easier, so if you could provide a source, link, etc., that would be very helpful. Thanks!

I had to replace a piece of marine ply on my boat this summer. I think water got into the piece during winter several years ago, then froze and expanded, which got progressively worse over several years. To the point that I finally cut out the old piece and put in a new piece, completely wrapped with fiberglass and sealed with epoxy.

Just a note that cheap and easy may result in having to replace a part again in the future, perhaps sooner than later.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Found some more info on the E Bond and this thread...http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26738. It's a hazmat, so although the product is less costly, shipping would be expensive. I use Raka epoxy which can be shipped parcel post. Slow hardener for sealing..it is very slow so the wood really soaks it up. For general laminating and mixing various putties, I go 50/50 slow /fast hardener which gives about a 15 minute pot life. Almost no blush and sanding is rarely needed.

What If? Just wondering if after the wood was coated, then put in a "bag" and hooked up to a vacumn pump or shop vac and pumped down. Probably able to use a pad outside the bag to wipe down for a smooth finish. For sure do a test sample first!!

Yes its was our SOP to use this on any and all unfinished wood on Yachts. Any unsealed wood in any moist environment with
    eventually break down. And then there is the Plywood issue. In my experience you need to use the plywood immediatly
    after purchase for the best results. Letting it sit around for a season before using it for boats is not a good Idea as it may dry out,
    warp a begin to separate. E-Bond is made here in Lauderdale but have heard they ship all over the world. I will see if I can
    find an AK distributor. There may be a product for metal the has a simalar name. The e-bond in the link does not seem
    like the same thing. The one I am talking about mixes 1 to 1 and is thin and wets out right away.

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    Yes its was our SOP to use this on any and all unfinished wood on Yachts. Any unsealed wood in any moist environment with
    eventually break down. And then there is the Plywood issue. In my experience you need to use the plywood immediatly
    after purchase for the best results. Letting it sit around for a season before using it for boats is not a good Idea as it may dry out,
    warp a begin to separate. E-Bond is made here in Lauderdale but have heard they ship all over the world. I will see if I can
    find an AK distributor. There may be a product for metal the has a simalar name. The e-bond in the link does not seem
    like the same thing. The one I am talking about mixes 1 to 1 and is thin and wets out right away.
    Thanks for posting back...and I agree, looks like the info I found is for a different product.

I have spoken to the E-Bond people and they have sent to Alaska before a few times but do not have a distributor there. You can
    get it if you order it but any savings will probably be lost on frieght. I guess your back to epoxy.