Thread: powder hog cartriges questions?

Default powder hog cartriges questions?

I have been thinking about getting another rifle built and I was looking at my manuals. I looked at the 7 STW and the 7 RUM. I already have a 280 AI with a 24 barrel that I get 2990 with a 160 accubond. I just can't see why people for crazy over them. I run 59 grains of RL-19 in my 280 AI with no pressure signs. The 7 STW takes more powder to get the same speeds anywhere from 66 to 74 grains. The 7 RUM I wont even go in to that powder hog. It will get 200FPS faster, but at almost 30 more grains if powder. For those numbers I will have to stick with my 280 AI. Modest recoil and I get more out of a pound of powder. My question is what is the appeal of the powder hogs?

I dunno.... I am saving for a Kimber 280AI.

The 300 RUM gets my vote as the big pig 90 grs of powder to achieve another 200 f.p.s over the std 30 cal mags.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have been thinking about getting another rifle built and I was looking at my manuals. I looked at the 7 STW and the 7 RUM. I already have a 280 AI with a 24 barrel that I get 2990 with a 160 accubond. I just can't see why people for crazy over them. I run 59 grains of RL-19 in my 280 AI with no pressure signs. The 7 STW takes more powder to get the same speeds anywhere from 66 to 74 grains. The 7 RUM I wont even go in to that powder hog. It will get 200FPS faster, but at almost 30 more grains if powder. For those numbers I will have to stick with my 280 AI. Modest recoil and I get more out of a pound of powder. My question is what is the appeal of the powder hogs?
    I tend to agree with YOU, but The "appeal" is performance.

You could make the case that the difference in velocity won't make a great difference in terminal performance, or flatter trajectory, but there IS a difference even if it is of dubious value.

It's the reason why folks choose a 300 Mag. over a 30-06, and a 7 Mag. over a 280.

The RUMs and the STW do seem to be pushing things to the extreme, but what is extreme and unreasonable to some, others love.

I have both a 280, and 7 Mags. I've not shot truckloads of game, but my 7 Mags. seem to have more knockdown. ??? They require more powder, barrel length/weight for the gain in velocity, but they increase performance over the 280 at at the same pressures.

Yeah, I've noticed that a lb. of powder doesn't load as many rounds.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I shoot 150 grain NBTs in my STW at 3450 with good case life and no pressure signs, but surely I'm maxed out. To say that it is highly effective is an understatement. I like all kinds of cartridges, but it's tough to top the STW when distances can get stretched and the wind is an issue IMO. Easy on the shoulder and hard on the target makes the STW an easy choice for me.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I tend to agree with YOU, but The "appeal" is performance.

You could make the case that the difference in velocity won't make a great difference in terminal performance, or flatter trajectory, but there IS a difference even if it is of dubious value.

It's the reason why folks choose a 300 Mag. over a 30-06, and a 7 Mag. over a 280.

The RUMs and the STW do seem to be pushing things to the extreme, but what is extreme and unreasonable to some, others love.

I have both a 280, and 7 Mags. I've not shot truckloads of game, but my 7 Mags. seem to have more knockdown. ??? They require more powder, barrel length/weight for the gain in velocity, but they increase performance over the 280 at at the same pressures.

Yeah, I've noticed that a lb. of powder doesn't load as many rounds.

Smitty of the North
    My rifle was a 280 rem and I had it rebarreled to a 280 to get every extra FPS (my moutain rifle). I really don't think im a speed demond when it comes to rifles as my other go to rifle is a 338-06. I think that I got lucky and reached the volicity that the book said(something that I never get by the way) with a 2" shorter barrel. I guess I got lucky and got a fast barrel. I was not willing go with a mag to save weight. A person could go with a short mag, but i'm alread short and fat I really don't need to shoot a round that is too. I hate to say it, but I really like anyy round that is based off the 30-06 and the 280, 280 AI, and 338-06 being the best from I think. I'm sure that will PO all the whelen and 270 fans, but if they like them shoot them. Who really cares what some guys is saying over the internet.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    My rifle was a 280 rem and I had it rebarreled to a 280 to get every extra FPS (my moutain rifle). I really don't think im a speed demond when it comes to rifles as my other go to rifle is a 338-06. I think that I got lucky and reached the volicity that the book said(something that I never get by the way) with a 2" shorter barrel. I guess I got lucky and got a fast barrel. I was not willing go with a mag to save weight. A person could go with a short mag, but i'm alread short and fat I really don't need to shoot a round that is too. I hate to say it, but I really like anyy round that is based off the 30-06 and the 280, 280 AI, and 338-06 being the best from I think. I'm sure that will PO all the whelen and 270 fans, but if they like them shoot them. Who really cares what some guys is saying over the internet.
    I had my 280 rebarreled too. It was an early model & hadda 20 inch barrel before. Velocity was not much at all. It has 26" now.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I was thinking about that last night when my hunting partner shot a 'bou with a .300 RUM.

It makes my .300WSM look like a pipsqueak but I get 3200fps with 68gr powder and 150gr bullets. He gets "more" but 3450/150gr or so with a staggering 90-100grs of powder sounds like a serious trade off. 40% more powder for less than 10% more velocity sounds like the pure definition of "overbore"...

I will admit he made dropping a bou at 350yards look pretty easy though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I shoot 150 grain NBTs in my STW at 3450 with good case life and no pressure signs, but surely I'm maxed out. To say that it is highly effective is an understatement. I like all kinds of cartridges, but it's tough to top the STW when distances can get stretched and the wind is an issue IMO. Easy on the shoulder and hard on the target makes the STW an easy choice for me.
    Yes, the 7mmSTW is an outstanding cartridge and extremely accurate to boot. My Savage 7mmSTW is my AT&T gun "REACH OUT AND TOUCH THEM" but it does not touch them as much as it really reaches out and slaps the tar out of them and a 280 or 280AI can't get close slapping anything unless we are talking shorter ranges. I hit a black bear at 354yds with a 160gr Accubond out of my 7mmSTW and he went down right where I hit him, instant death. Why do you think some folks want a 280AI instead of a 280 It is performance they are looking for. Why? because the extra performance does translate into greater terminal results. Of course I would not choose a 280 or 280AI if I want more performance, I would choose one of the powder hogs. Now that said I like the 7mm08 for a lot reasons, go figure. Well, I don't go figure, because I shoot what I want to shoot and I am not into justifying it because it is an efficient cartridge or over bore cartridge, I just own and shoot them for what they are and for what they can do.

The target said 130gr game king but it was a match king
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I was thinking about that last night when my hunting partner shot a 'bou with a .300 RUM.

It makes my .300WSM look like a pipsqueak but I get 3200fps with 68gr powder and 150gr bullets. He gets "more" but 3450/150gr or so with a staggering 90-100grs of powder sounds like a serious trade off. 40% more powder for less than 10% more velocity sounds like the pure definition of "overbore"...

I will admit he made dropping a bou at 350yards look pretty easy though.

that seems kinda slow for a 150gr, He should be able to get 3500+ easy. I'm getting 3340fps with 168gr TSX and its not even a warm load. Even burning 20+ grs more powder thats less than 8 cents more per round. I gotta figure that extra powder is probably the cheapest thing that goes into shooting these rifles.

Pretty much works out to be about the difference between your 300 WSM and a 308. If efficiency is your goal I guess you should probably trade in your 300 WSM for a 308.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    that seems kinda slow for a 150gr, He should be able to get 3500+ easy.

Pretty much works out to be about the difference between your 300 WSM and a 308. If efficiency is your goal I guess you should probably trade in your 300 WSM for a 308.
    If he were handloading he could probably get more, but that was the velocity listed on the box. I never said efficiency was my goal- but it does seem like a lot of burning gunpowder for small gains, and a lot more rifle to burn it in.

That said- I'm really intrigued by this beast and just may have to have one...

250 gr 338 cal 106.0 gr imr5010 3100 mv or 250 gr 338cal 115 gr Retumbo also 3100mv. 338-378 Wtby chamber. That is a pile of powder. Just love to shoot the thing. Even these are only 30 cents worth of powder, not to much in this day and times.

As was said, the answer is more performance. And yes with the big cases it can take quite a bit more powder for a small gain. But,it is still a gain. If maximum velocity for a given bullet is your goal, a bigger case with more powder is the answer. Efficency does not fit well in this equation but so what.