Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4 Wheeler

15 46.88%
  • Argo

17 53.13%

Thread: 4 Wheeler or Argo?

Default 4 Wheeler or Argo?

So im looking at getting something for next season. Not quite sure on what would be better since I haven't been out in the wood on either, mostly on foot. I would be hunting mostly units 13 and 14. The argo seems like it would be the better bet as I can just go through small ponds/lakes, carry another person. A 4 wheeler seems a little more versatile and maneuverable.

Just wanted to get the opinions of those with more experience

Apples and oranges,....if you decide to go with an argo I know of a very low hours, late model, efi avenger 8x with tracks,topper, etc for a good price....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I vote neither

Polaris Big Boss 6x6....I yearn for one parked in my yard. The lucky guys that have 'em love 'em...

What about maintenance with an argo? pretty involved ?

If your outings involve a lot of travel in boggy, swampy areas then a tracked Argo would be a better bet. Aside from that my vote is Polaris Ranger. I spent the weekend in very wet, muddy conditions and I never had an issue skirting the edges of swamps and crossing bogs- though I didn't dare stop. This was my first weekend on 27s and an epi muddier clutch kit and I'm absolutely impressed. Trekked the entire petersville loop back to the Forks Roadhouse bridge and didn't get stuck once and the trail, per regular users, was horrible this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I vote neither

Polaris Big Boss 6x6....I yearn for one parked in my yard. The lucky guys that have 'em love 'em...
    What he said. You can get tracks for the 6x6 to power through swamps, etc...

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    What he said. You can get tracks for the 6x6 to power through swamps, etc...

Tim
    Tracks for the new ones are a bit pricey, but yeah, you can...

You priced out an argo w/ tracks lately? I'm with you, for those GMU's I'd go with a 6x sportsman....if you want room to take a buddy (or 2) with you I'd be looking at a 6x Ranger...
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    You priced out an argo w/ tracks lately? I'm with you, for those GMU's I'd go with a 6x sportsman....if you want room to take a buddy (or 2) with you I'd be looking at a 6x Ranger...
    No doubt. You go from pricey to PRICEY! I just don't know if I could swallow the cost of a new argo and wonder if I would've been better off with two brand new Big Boss 6x6s loaded on a brand new 4 place trailer hooked to two ATV trailers. Argos do have their place though and will go a few places a six wheeler wont...

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    What about maintenance with an argo? pretty involved ?
    The regular maintenance is very simple and quick....maintenance is not the reason I'd shy away from an Argo in your hunting area...they are simply awesome machines when they are in their element...ride quality is the main reason I'd avoid them, they are brutal for your passengers and not much better for the driver, and put tracks on 'em and they are worse...when they are out of their element that is...kinda like trying to pound a nail with your shoe, the tool (argo) just isn't well suited for most areas....but if you're primarily running where it gets sloppy nothing can touch'em
    pull my finger....

Good point. I was thinking of a pre-'09. Seen tracks on AKList for $500-1000.

Probably run more like $6000-8000 for the triangles on the new machines.

Tim

After following a 6x6 Boss (Sportsman) I'd say it is the best compromise. Only drawback I witnessed is the horrid fuel economy and tiny fuel tank.

Depends on the terrain you want to hunt. A friend and I we're up in chicken years ago, both of us had argo's, his with a cab and mine without. He was nice and warm AND dry, while I had on goggles and lots of layers when it rained. The only problem we had was having to get a running start for going up a rocky ridge while it was raining. Neither of us had tracks. Down in the valleys we didn't have ant problems at all. Now I have a prowler with a windshield. I still have my argo, but it needs a little work. The one thing I have come to enjoy is the cab on wheeler's. just my 2 cents worth

I'll always offer an open seat to anyone who wants to see what a Ranger is capable of. I really enjoyed Petersville recently so thatd be my trail of choice. pville rd to dollar creek back down to the bridge

Try this again, how do you have your Ranger set up, tires, axles, or whatever? Is it a 4x4 or x6? Sorry for the hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Try this again, how do you have your Ranger set up, tires, axles, or whatever? Is it a 4x4 or x6? Sorry for the hijack.
    Fishkill-

Drivetrain mods alone....
    '011 4x Ranger
    EPI Mudder clutch kit w/ HD belt
    27" Swamp lites
    2" lift from highlifter
    Outboarded rear shocks

Clutch kit is just....amazing. Combined with the tires I went everywhere I wanted to go in Petersville. Anyone who's run Dollar Creek knows once you drop down from the north into the wetlands, it doesn't stop until you make the bridge at Peters Creek. this year was horrible, someone has recently been though in a very large tracked vehicle, I'm assuming a dozer.

Most folks I see with ranger drivetrain problems, they haven't figured out that fine line of driving. It's not all the machine- there's some fancy foot work involved.

Saw a guy rip out both front axles in eureka- had it pinned hard right with a full foot on the throttle.

Found a guy on monument with a blown belt - he ran it in high range the entire time.

I'm on my second and am still pleased, that's not to say I won't have problems, but I do my best to avoid them.

Rides a bit like a tank but I haven't had time to adjust tire pressure or shocks since the new tires went on.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have owned both 4 wheelers and argos. Both have advantages and disadvantages. When I had 4 wheelers it seemed the guys I hunted with didn't have one, so we doubled up or we had to find one to use. Neither was a fun option. That was the main reason I went with an argo. The thing about an argo is, you need to have outgrown your need for speed. Because the only suspension they have is the bounce from the tires, it can be hard on the body if you are in a hurry. The up side is, they can carry and entire moose or two (cut up and bagged) and still have room for at least two guys (been there done that). The upside to 4 wheelers is that they fit well in a pickup and are light enough to man handle around. They are faster if you have good trail and want to hunt single day or weekend trips. As for maintenance of the argo, it's really not too bad. It's a good practice to keep the chains lubricated and I also pump grease into the hub bearings after trips involving extensive water crossings. The fresh grease pushes any water or mud that may have made its way into the bearings. That's really the only maintenance that differs from the 4 wheelers. Another advantage to the argo has is it takes no effort to steer one. There is no arm/shoulder fatigue at the end of the day like I have experienced driving a wheeler over rough terrain. I hope this helps.