Thread: Yamaha 4 stroke Problem

Default Yamaha 4 stroke Problem

I have a 2006 Yamaha 115 four stroke with just over 500 hours on it. About a month ago it started sputtering as I was idling out of the harbor (after about 5 minutes of idling). I checked the racor filter and it was full of water. I cleaned it out and replaced the filter and it ran great for about a week. Then it started fine but as I was idling out of the harbor it started sputering again. If I give it throttle it runs fine until I shut it off. Once it's warm it just doesn't run right. It feels like it is running out of gas. But if I let it sit for 8 hours or so it will start and run fine. I checked the internal fuel filter and there was a little water in the bottom but the element seems fine. Has anyone had this problem before?

You need to resolve the water contamination issue. You may need to go so far as to drain the tank completely, add fresh fuel and isopropyl. Drain and clean the fuel system from injectors to filter.

Having your racor filter full of water is not a good thing. The motor running rough is obviously water related. The bigger questions is how does your filter get full of water?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

The first order of business is where is the water coming from and second the entire system has to have the water removed. Until you get all of the moisture out you will have the same recuring problem. Just as 338 said it has got to be clean . Good Luck

Change filters and get water out of tank.

Default Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think my problem is water related but I don't think water in the tank is the problem now. After changing out the Racor and running the motor for several hours no water is showing up in the bowl.

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by giten-a-life View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think my problem is water related but I don't think water in the tank is the problem now. After changing out the Racor and running the motor for several hours no water is showing up in the bowl.

Thanks again,
    How does the motor run now ? How old is the fuel in the tank ? Did the fuel come from a clean trusted source ?

The motor starts fine. If I run 1000 RPMs or less for 5 minutes or so it starts running rough. If I run the rpm up to 4000 it runs fine until I shut it off. If I run for 15 minutes or an hour it is fine but if I shut it off I am stuck until it cools down.

The gas is only a month or so old and i suspect the water may be condensation in my tank or the fuel dock. This is the first problem I have had in 5 years.

If you live in an area with good access to a certified mechanic, take it in if you suspect the issue is still there.

I strap my tank with water finding paste, halibut line with a small round weight tryed on, cover weight and line in paste & drop it down the fill line. If it touches water the paste turns red. That will tell ya if you have water in the tank which is almost for sure it sounds like, but why drain a tank if ya don't!

had same boat with the 115s, there is small check valves on top of tank. pulled them and replaced with flow threw ones. put manual ball valves in line. end of full problums