Thread: First duck hunt.

Default First duck hunt.

Went out to Jim's lake yesterday with Phystech and we got skunked. We did see plenty of ducks but couldn't get them close. They really like the middle of the lake though.
    A big thanks to Gary for taking me out and showing me alot of tips. Even though we didn't get anything, it was fun anyways. Can't wait to get back out there!

Always great to hear of a new duck hunter learning the ropes! Tell us something you learned on this first trip. What didn't you know or what did you not realize before you went out?

Erich

Canoes are nice for sneaking, w or w/o a quiet motor. We glass for ducks across a lake and then approach them quietly. We take turns as the shooter while the other guy paddles or mans the motor. When they are within shooting distance they start to look antsy, maybe even flex their wings a bit. When they finally take off, it is usually an easy job to bring them down over the water where they are retrievable w/o a dog. I look for areas with reeds or lilly pads and for signs of wake on the water. Binoculars really help.

First I learned that my purchase of a Primos duck call was a mistake. It sounded horrible once I could compare sounds. I was shown different techniques of calling that I never knew, Different ways to set up your decoys etc. It was a great learning experience. We did try a little bit at the end to sneak up on some teals but they just swam away rather than taking off. Get 'em next time.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Canoes are nice for sneaking, w or w/o a quiet motor. We glass for ducks across a lake and then approach them quietly. We take turns as the shooter while the other guy paddles or mans the motor. When they are within shooting distance they start to look antsy, maybe even flex their wings a bit. When they finally take off, it is usually an easy job to bring them down over the water where they are retrievable w/o a dog. I look for areas with reeds or lilly pads and for signs of wake on the water. Binoculars really help.
    That's a good technique, but since Ammo Jay is a beginner, it's important to remember that it is NOT legal to shoot ducks from a moving boat even after the motor has been killed or put in neutral. Human power is A-OK, but running up on birds with a motor and coasting is not legal. You have to come to a complete stop. FYI.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    ...it is NOT legal to shoot ducks from a moving boat even after the motor has been killed or put in neutral. Human power is A-OK, but running up on birds with a motor and coasting is not legal. You have to come to a complete stop. FYI.

Erich
    Yup, that is the hard part, but not impossible. I can't shoot for beans if the boat is moving anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AMMO JAY View Post
    First I learned that my purchase of a Primos duck call was a mistake. It sounded horrible once I could compare sounds. I was shown different techniques of calling that I never knew, Different ways to set up your decoys etc. It was a great learning experience. We did try a little bit at the end to sneak up on some teals but they just swam away rather than taking off. Get 'em next time.
    Learning to call is always a steep learning curve! Everyone sounded horrible when they first started, so don't let that discourage you, lol! Just keep looking for better methods, don't get stuck in a rut and you'll be surprised how much better you get. There are people out there who have hunted ducks for decades, but never evaluated their methods and keep making the same mistakes over and over. It's always difficult to buy a call when you don't have the option to try it, or hear a friend use it. A lot of independent call makers have pretty good websites where they share the benefits of their calls and some come with instructional cd's.

I bought one from Basin Calls and his instructional cd is pretty good. It's not what Iíd call a beginnerís call though. I started hunting with a Haydel Mallard hen when I was 12 then moved to the Duck Commander lines, then to the Basin Calls. I've never been one to spend too much on calls though.

Erich

Welcome to the "Sport of Kings," just go ahead and take out a second mortgage on your home for all the stuff you will end up buying (including a hunting dog) in the name of shooting a few ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Welcome to the "Sport of Kings," just go ahead and take out a second mortgage on your home for all the stuff you will end up buying (including a hunting dog) in the name of shooting a few ducks.
    Too true!!

ya that a boy bust up all the roosts/safe zones and kick them ducks out faster then they already leave....
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

hmmmm. you do realize that the motor portion you discribe is highly illegal? prob not good advice for someone who is brand new to the sport

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    hmmmm. you do realize that the motor portion you discribe is highly illegal? prob not good advice for someone who is brand new to the sport
    You are assuming things you shouldn't... or perhaps I didn't clarify. The motor is for getting across the lake, and I'm not talking ponds here; Stormy would be a good example. The motor is stopped some distance from the birds (do I need to give yardage?) and paddles are used to get close to the ducks. That is why we use a canoe and not a small skiff. We generally ship the paddles when the birds are ready to fly so the shooter can be ready. I hope that is clear.

Were I offering the advice of sneaking up on ducks with a full on motor assault, well, that would be bad advice in more ways than one, now wouldn't it?

You are assuming things you shouldn't... or perhaps I didn't clarify. The motor is for getting across the lake, and I'm not talking ponds here; Stormy would be a good example. The motor is stopped some distance from the birds (do I need to give yardage?) and paddles are used to get close to the ducks. That is why we use a canoe and not a small skiff. We generally ship the paddles when the birds are ready to fly so the shooter can be ready. I hope that is clear.

Were I offering the advice of sneaking up on ducks with a full on motor assault, well, that would be bad advice in more ways than one, now wouldn't it?
    Woops! Not Stormy, Dolly Varden (lest anyone pounce). Stormy is in a state park and therefore unhuntable to my knowledge. Although there is a pond outside the park that has ducks and is accessible, but you'd need to use a dog.

yea no worries and figured thats what you ment. But someone brand new to the sport prob would not. And dispite it being a bad idea in more way then one i have seen more the one person do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    yea no worries and figured thats what you ment. But someone brand new to the sport prob would not. And dispite it being a bad idea in more way then one i have seen more the one person do it.
    Ditto here. Looking back over my original post I was not clear at all, and didn't clarify my thoughts in my second post either.
    Were I using a canoe on small bodies of water I would dispense with a motor all together. But man, ducks can have moved a long way by the time you get across a sizable lake, and that is where it is nice to make some distance up a little faster before you approach them by paddle.

I enjoy a canoe because they are so quiet, present less of a head-on profile, and because I don't have (and can't have) a dog. It might be the solution for a person new to duck hunting who didn't yet have a bunch of dekes, a dog and a blind just yet.

No worries, I got what you meant.