Thread: New fixed power Leupolds

Default New fixed power Leupolds

Anybody seen these new fixed Leupold scopes? Found them on SWFA but not on Leupolds web page. As a confirmed fixed power freak this is some good news.

It seems the old, long, straight tubed 3x is back and they show a 6x33 that's shorter and 2oz or so lighter than the current 6x36. I wonder if they're using the small ocular on these? I think a more compact 6x on my lightweight .300 would be great stuff.

Also have a fixed 8x back in the line as well.

My 6x36 with dot is probably my most favorite leupold I own
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Other than the obvious weight / size advantages is there any data as to any optical superiority of the fixed powers over variables?

I've got Zeiss and S&B 6X scopes I've got to get around to putting on a couple of my rifles but neither are small or light weight. Both are top quality optics but I can't tell any significant differences from the better quality variables I own.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Love the fixed power also and I've started buying old ElPaso Weavers off E-Bay and they have been top notch so far
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Other than the obvious weight / size advantages is there any data as to any optical superiority of the fixed powers over variables?

I've got Zeiss and S&B 6X scopes I've got to get around to putting on a couple of my rifles but neither are small or light weight. Both are top quality optics but I can't tell any significant differences from the better quality variables I own.
    I think with modern glass the optical differences are just too small to notice. In days gone by this wasn't the case, but in the last 20 years the coatings and pass rates for the glass are just incredible.

I also think the mechanical reliability is a thing of the past as well- fixed powers were historically more reliable than early variables but that's pretty much a wash now days too.

Myself- I just like the simplicity the fixed powers provide. Size and weight vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but I believe its generally accurate to say fixed powers are lighter within a particular manufacturer's series. I do like the fact that without a power ring I can mount a fixed scope farther forward- as a dedicated stock crawler I appreciate that a lot.

I actually hunted with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 this year....and killed everything on 6x.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Love the fixed power also and I've started buying old ElPaso Weavers off E-Bay and they have been top notch so far
    Dandy as dandy can get. Just doesn't seem "right" for something so cheap and plain jane to work so well does it? The difference between what I've paid for some of my El Paso's and modern glitzy glass would pay for the best part of a flyout hunt. Easy choice for me whether to spend money on a hunt or high fashion glass!