Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hudson bay and a Moose

Default The Hudson bay and a Moose

The Scott at our moose site.

Jesse's moose and my 8 year old boy... He was the young partner

The work begins....shortly before 9:00AM. We are going to gutless..clean this one.

Almost done....the camera craps out here so no pictures of the Scott on the way home or the moose cow and calf we saw on the way out.

I can say three things.

1) The Scott Canoe can handle 800 pounds+ of meat without a hitch.
    2) Don't put it all in the front of the boat. We needed to adjust the trim on the way out...not dangerous..just need to get it sem-planning right
    3) If you haven't done so..put on some spray rails. I followed the directions on this site with two pieces of ash and now I ride dry!

Let me add a 4th...
    At 51 years, I really need to hit the gym more often!

One more....the Spyderco Impala looks bigger in an 8 years old hands

I like the little helper you got will you hirer him out, next time I have a moose down I will call to see if he can make it,
    just kiding good job [was there 2 yound kids on that hunt] SID

Very nice. Canoe pretty stable with all that weight down low?

congratulations on your harvest ..
    good to see the helpers excited to get involved.
    very nice indeed..
    did I say Congratulations???
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Great info and wonderful to see the youngster pitching in with the chores

Congrats on Winter rations!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Very nice. Canoe pretty stable with all that weight down low?
    Very stable...could still dance on the gunnel!

At first we had all the meat in the front. Loaded that way, the bow road too low and I couldn't get the bow up on step. It was ok at half throttle but when I tried to get her faster the front wouldn't rise and I got a lot of splash. Loaded in a more balanced way and the bow would raise normally and away we went.

Great job N61 and little partner.

Glad to see you got settled in in Whitehorse.....

Wish I'd moved here earlier.... It's some kind of country!

Thumbs up Great Scott!

Bad camera crapping out before its work was done. Good you, getting your moose, and involving an 8 year old; that's how our future hunters will do it - same way they saw us do it.

Beautiful Scott you got there, and I believe you about the spray rails, though my alder boards are still sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting for me to carve them into spray rails for next year.

Yup..we had the moose head up front like the bow head of an old Viking long ship. Would have been worth a shot!

The spray rails...make a great boat even greater.

Awesome! I can't wait to take my son to do the same thing!

Congrats I hope to be posting very similar pics of my HB and boy doing the same soon. My experiance has been that the HB dosent really start to shine till there is 700+ pounds on board.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Hope everybody got there moose! Here are some of my musings on equipment after reflecting on the hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZdO7yOcMHY

Default Cool Videos

Cool video/s North61. Got to looking at the others videos you have. I hadn't seen a 2 wheeler Rokon in years. They had a pretty good following before 4 wheelers became so common. Zack

Thanks! You know..they really do work well and go most anywhere you can walk. I realized on this trip that it would be pretty easy to stow the Rokon on the big canoe. It would do a pretty good job of hauling meat as you need to do a little trail work to walk back the quarters anyway. I am pretty tempted to take it next year. At 210 pounds it weighs about the same as another guy and can do the work of 10 in the right conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Cool video/s North61. Got to looking at the others videos you have. I hadn't seen a 2 wheeler Rokon in years. They had a pretty good following before 4 wheelers became so common. Zack

Default ditto re: Rokon

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    I realized on this trip that it would be pretty easy to stow the Rokon on the big canoe.
    I had the same revelation when zack posted that.

Further thinking makes me wonder if its technically possible to have a watercraft of some sort (inflatable canoe maybe, with a kicker) that would fit on the Rokon's trailer. Imagine a series of hops
    - with boat carried on the Rokon's trailer
    - then in boat that can contain the Rokon, me, trailer, and a moose
    - then back on the Rokon, with the boat, gear and moose in trailer.

I just doesn't seem possible to me. If we have this technology today, I'm unaware of it. I'm probably just dreamin'...

Here's a video of the Rokon + its trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXc5Q...layer_embedded

Hey Family,

Never say never!! Just need a big enough raft!!

I've been looking for a used Rokon in good shape for about a year now to replace my Yamaha TW 200. That is a very capable bike and mine is tagged so I can run on the road but it is a little too big and heavy (close to 300 lbs) to take in the Cargo, but a Rokon (at 200 lbs)...with a big rear rack...and someone to help lift it into the Cargo and back out....that could sit in the spot where I removed the 3rd seat....hmmmm....wonder if you could make the trailer with inflatable pontoons...of course you could!

Default Travios

Rokons have a huge amount of low end torque. Forget that trailer business and make a travios on site after your kill if all you're wanting it for is to haul a moose out of the woods. Hatchet up some 2 or 3 inch quaking aspen, or what ever you got and wire a travios together and onto the back of the Rokon. Looks like you could packrat out a moose in 3 or 4 loads. Then just leave the travios in the woods. You could build one in 30 minutes with some tie wire, a hatchet and pleirs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast