Thread: 6 Mile Changes

Default 6 Mile Changes

A couple weeks ago 6 Mile Creek hit an all time high of 13.86 feet (since they started recording). Apparently the first canyon was a pretty impressive. The commercial guys thankfully cleared out a lot of wood, so the river is clean. However, the recent event has modified the river and some of the rapids.

Full disclosure….I am not some wily 6 Mile vet, nor have I studied every nook and cranny of the river. My trips are a success when I don’t flip, break any gear, or get injured; I have about a 70 percent success rate. With the exception of a few trips, all of my experience has been above 10 feet. Yesterday when I ran it at 10.2 feet (a good level for me and my boat), I noticed some changes I thought worth mentioning. The guys from Chugach Outdoor Center explained them to me beforehand, but I have limited comprehension skills.

First of all, the top of Staicase has some new rocks near the entrance (right and center)….uh I think. I was knocked off my line and had an almost-flip at the top. This is not a place for a flip. Fortunately, I was able to do a high-side/YANK to get myself free; sending me out of position, into the froth at the bottom for a wild ride. I clearly do not know exactly what has changed at the top, but trust me, it’s different. You will have to see for yourself.

The other major change is at Merry-Go-Round. The big rock is no longer visible…it must have flipped or rolled down river. All of the gnar that was behind the former rock is still there. I used the rock as a reference point to help me with my move, not anymore.

I’m sure the river will reveal some more new features as the water level drops (it has yet to dip below 10 since the high water event). Please let me know of anything else you observe. The guys and gals from Chugach Outdoor Center are shutting down for the season, and they are a most excellent reference/guiding outfit.

By the way, the colors were incredible on the river yesterday. Get out there and get after it while it’s still warm enough to do so.

Josh

The COC guys are the best on that river, not saying the NOVA guys aren't good, but the not as good as COC.

Man-- that's a really bold statement!!! You must have a lot time on that river!!!
    Jay and chuck were the first running that program for the 30 years i have been here!! A lot of others have come and gone, but they are both still doing a great job!!
    Goo

Both groups are really good about letting you follow along behind too. I've been rescued a couple times by them over the years. All pleasant people to deal with. But I gotta say, I'm glad for the competition between them too.

Merry-Go-Round changed a few years ago and went from just being a hoot to run, to being something that routinely knocked people out of the boat. I swam there twice last year, but seemed to be getting the hang of it this season. It'll be interesting to see the additional changes from the recent high water; wondering if it will be better or worse. Would like to hear more of what you find as the water drops, Josh. Thanks for the info so far.

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Jay and chuck were the first running that program for the 30 years i have been here!! A lot of others have come and gone, but they are both still doing a great job!!
    Goo
    Goo, I 100% agree. They are both very knowledgeable, safe, and experienced outfits, and both Chuck and Jay are super cool dudes.

Jim, Merry-Go-Round has accounted for all of my 6-Mile flips, and I'm still not sure what really happened??? Unless it starts snowing, I'm going to try and get down there a couple more times.

Josh