Thread: First one-on-one with a nice bull!

Talking First one-on-one with a nice bull!

I don't post much here but wanted to share a quick story. I grew up in the lower 48 hunting whitetails and have taken a good number of nice bucks and a lot of smaller bucks. It was what my father raised me on.. Going to camp every year and hunting deer was an annual event and still is today.. I fly back every year to spend time with Dad and hunt deer out of the same camp we have for 35 years.

My wife and I moved here 4 years ago. I shot a Bou this year which was exciting but the moose hunt we just got back from was well..

We were up high glassing an area below us when we spotted a nice bull with his harem.. After looking at him for a while we decided to go after him. My buddy and I took the wheelers down to the bottom and proceeded to head in below them since they were feeding in that direction. There was a clearing that I figured they would pass through so I headed for the bottom of the clearing. When I got to the edge of the clearing I noticed a big cow in the middle feeding.. She spotted me but after a few minutes she decided all was well and move on by.. For the next hour 10 cows very slowly feed by. I new that bull had to be in the area and behind the cows so I started glassing the upper end of the clearing and sure enough I spotted him.. I could see he was a nice bull but was only 1X2 and not the 4 that I needed so I would have to go on width. Being new to Moose hunting that didn't make me to comfortable.. Anyway, so I figure he was going to follow the cows and well, he didn't. I waited for him to come out of the willows/pines and nothing.. After about 1 1/2 hours I thought he had skirted the clearing through the thicket. I was really disappointed to say the least. I was glassing the area and couldn't see him when the sun broke through for just a moment and I caught has palms flashing white in the sunlight! He bedded down on me.. Wham, disappointment gone and excitement back on! Dad taught me well hunting whitetails and since they are much more jumpy than moose I decided to stalk him in his bed. So, I took off my jacket and anything that would catch brush and put on the ol' Indian super sneak.. I took the edge of a creek that ran about 50 yards from where he was bedded down to help cover any noise I made. I took a step and glassed took another and glassed. Just when I was in the area he was in I spotted a cow laying about 30 yards off to my left. I got by her and sure enough there he was about 40 yards away looking at me! I'm tell you, I have taken some big whitetails but I felt more excitement than I did the night before my first whitetail hunt 35 years ago! I couldn't get a good look at him because of the willows but he stood up and started walking out in the clearing! My legs were actually shaking! As he walked into the clearly I paralleled him until he was standing about 50 yards away and turn and look right at me.. At that point I tried to make him 50"+ but just couldn't.. He was sooooo close. I could get two sets of ears on each side (I think), he palms went back and out not up in a V. When he turned his head he was right on the hump but not over. If it was over it was just a weebit.. I thought about it, I tried to talk my self into it, I double checked, triple checked but just didn't feel comfortable pulling the trigger. About the time I decided that I wasn't going to take him and let him walk he started grunting and took a couple of steps in my direction.. Spun around a couple of times and look at me again all the time grunting as to tell me they were his cows and that was that!

I gotta tell you, that was by far the most exciting hunt I ever had even though I didn't pull the trigger. He was a mature old bull and I walked right into his bedroom.. To top it off we saw 7 bulls in 3 days and 4 of those bulls were shovel heads but just didn't quite make 50"+. One was a big 2X3 that was very close to 50" as well. To add to all that the wolves were howling, coyotes calling and sheep were on the mountain behind us.. This state is heaven and they will spread my ashes in the Talkeetna's!

I guess that wasn't a short story but I do have a question. I was going to stop down to Palmer at the F&G office and see if they had that CD "Is He Legal?" but does anyone else have a good resource in judging size? I have argued with myself about not pulling the trigger even though I know it was the right thing to do! So I am going to spend more time reading up on judging size.

Close in on a big bull like that will get anyone's hear pumping!

You can get the video online at the ADF&G website. No need to drive to the office...

I did the math last year on using a range finding reticle like that found on the Vortex tactical monocular "backwards" in conjunction with a range finder to measure width. It is feasible, but you would need a chart or calculator. I have both and have been thinking of doing a tutorial thread someday...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

You seem to have a computer so you can probably just watch the video online at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ultimedia.main

Joe W. posted up last year 12" per ear 6" between the ears. If you had and extra ear length on each side then 12+12+6+12+12= 54"

Where did he go, BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Where did he go, BTW?
    Well, I wondered that as well.. After it was all over I was telling my buddy and we looked for him the next two days and no were to be found.. I know he's still in that area though.. I wanted him to take a lookie see and told him if he started to say it's legal he wouldn't get the entire word legal out of his mouth before the rifle cracked..

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You seem to have a computer so you can probably just watch the video online at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ultimedia.main
    Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.. I searched the site but the title I was given was exactly correct which is why I could find it..

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I did the math last year on using a range finding reticle like that found on the Vortex tactical monocular "backwards" in conjunction with a range finder to measure width. It is feasible, but you would need a chart or calculator. I have both and have been thinking of doing a tutorial thread someday...

So you used the mil's/numbers and calculated a width based on range? How comfortable are you with the numbers you got? Did you practice with know width's at different distances?

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    So you used the mil's/numbers and calculated a width based on range? How comfortable are you with the numbers you got? Did you practice with know width's at different distances?
    I have only done it on paper and in the driveway so far. Im pretty confident one could be very accurate with it. In the neighborhood of 5% anyway.

Default trophy scale

Just wondering if any of you out there have tried leupold's boone and crockett model rangefinder? This model has a function that allows you to input a specific width and then displays bars on the screen that go from 2" under to 2" over set width, it displays these bars after animal has been ranged. Never tried one but would sure like to hear from someone who has. I carry a rangefinder with me anyways, might not be a bad investment.