Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasted Moose

Angry Wasted Moose

I got out moose hunting today for the first and probably last time of the year. Weather was outstanding, but the hunting pressure was more intense than I have ever seen before. It seemed everywhere I looked there was other hunters and 4 wheelers running around. This is really no surprise as its no secret spot and an active trail system that generally gets hunted hard.

I got to one of my favorite glassing spots and noticed a moose laying down about 350 yards away. It looked funny and after a few minutes I decided to get up and check it out. I smelled it before I got to it. It was dead and bloated. A small bull 35-40" with three brow tines (4 tine area) on the side that was sticking up out of the grass, I didn't check the other side. It had one perfectly placed hole in its vitals and from the looks of things didn't go anywhere but down after it was shot, it was in a pretty open area and even had it run 100-200 yards it would have been visible from the shooter. It looked to have been there for several days.

I'm guessing somebody shot it and when they realized it wasn't legal just let it lay. This really pisses me off. This was a healthy bull moose with several hundred pounds of meat for the taking. It was no trophy so there was really no other reason to shoot this moose other than for the meat, so why in the world would somebody leave it lay.

I just don't understand people sometimes. Even if they didn't want to do the right thing and turn it over to the state at least they could have taken it out and not wasted it.

In any case I guess it leaves a carcass to watch over, might be able to get a bear off it.

Wow, that does suck...some people's kids, eh?

Sorry to hear about this. I would suggest reporting the location to the Troopers. There have been a couple found in the burns, and a Trooper i spoke with recently was discussing a reward program. Even if the meat is spoiled they will saw the antlers off and do what they may.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

I didn't happen to see any troopers on the way home and my cell phone was dead, was going to stop in a report it to fish and game monday

You wont believe this! I watched a guy and his kids load a hind leg in their boat from my property on the Su yesterdat just before dark. Next morning they flew out so I spent three hours finding the kill. It was a bull over 60 inches with 3 quaters of the meat still there. Finaly got home to call the troopers when the same guy shows up in my yard to ask for my help to get the rest out. I told him I wasnt going to help unless he was totaly legal and it turns out he was, It also turns out he was a Trooper! Hard to believe but at least he did the right thing and everything turned out good. Usually ask for Rum when I help someone out as AlaskaBliss cant attest to but asked for Crown reserve this time. Turns out hes a stand up guy and everything is cool, Just when you think youve seen it all!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    You wont believe this! I watched a guy and his kids load a hind leg in their boat from my property on the Su yesterdat just before dark. Next morning they flew out so I spent three hours finding the kill. It was a bull over 60 inches with 3 quaters of the meat still there. Finaly got home to call the troopers when the same guy shows up in my yard to ask for my help to get the rest out. I told him I wasnt going to help unless he was totaly legal and it turns out he was, It also turns out he was a Trooper! Hard to believe but at least he did the right thing and everything turned out good. Usually ask for Rum when I help someone out as AlaskaBliss cant attest to but asked for Crown reserve this time. Turns out hes a stand up guy and everything is cool, Just when you think youve seen it all!
    So was he accidentally hunting your property?

Oh no, I watched him load from the other side of the river. I have the Big Su on one side of the property and the Alexander on the other side. I only paid attention to him cuz he had trouble getting up river in the low water. When it was getting close to dark I went up and checked on him because he had two younger kids. He was loading meat and said he was ok. When he left the next morning in a plane I knew he hadnt gotten all the meat and me and a neighbor went looking for the kill. He came back later in the day after finding someone to help him after we found the kill. When he came to me I told him it looked like he chewed off more than he could handle and he should have asked for help sooner, He agreed but said he had a didnt like to ask for help but learned a lesson from this. It is his first moose so everything turned out fine and he learned a little bit more. You should have seen the look on my face when I was giving him a lecture and making sure he was legal. I said I was minutes away from calling Fish & Feathers and he said "I am a State Trooper"

Can't people at least call in anonymously so somebody can salvage the meat while its still good? I understand that people don't want to call it in because of the circus it can become, but that just screams of laziness. Not just rotten ethics, but sheer laziness. You could always call in, lie, say you found a sub-legal moose that had just been shot and the meat at least wouldn't be wasted. People should at least phone it in to make the situation somewhat better.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Makes me sick. Wasting any meat makes me sick (especially moose as that is about the only red meat my wife and I eat anymore). I found a spruce grouse shoat and left on a trail by the house the other day. It was a day or two old, and probably left becasue it was a spruce grouse. Disgusted.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I hate to hear that....I found one like that 2 years ago.

My partner and I was coming back from up north moose hunting when my buddy stuck a nice bou, there were 4 in the group which headed back from the direction they came from, they were standing about a 100 yrds off the road when a truck came by, stoped just beyond the crest of the hill and shot one of the caribou with a rifle, (bow only area) then had the gull to drive back by to see what we were doing, came back by once more and asked if this was a bow area and then left. After we finished up with our bou we went up the road and found the one he shot and left to rot. We processed that one and brought it into the troopers the next day. Wish I could have seen his plates, they were covered in mud and couldnt make them out. Couldnt believe this A&^ H$@# had the never to shot from the road in a bow only area with us being less than 400 yrds away

That's pretty ballsy...

Make/model/color of vehicle reported?

is it really a waste if its left in the woods and other animals / creatures get to eat it? seems a little self-righteous
    to claim its a waste because a human did not get to devour it.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    is it really a waste if its left in the woods and other animals / creatures get to eat it? seems a little self-righteous
    Rep points to you...

180 grains of lead and copper wasted, not to mention the carbon footprint left by such cartridges.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    180 grains of lead and copper wasted, not to mention the carbon footprint left by such cartridges.
    Not really a waste of lead and copper...just returned to the earth from which they came...

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Oh no, I watched him load from the other side of the river. I have the Big Su on one side of the property and the Alexander on the other side. I only paid attention to him cuz he had trouble getting up river in the low water. When it was getting close to dark I went up and checked on him because he had two younger kids. He was loading meat and said he was ok. When he left the next morning in a plane I knew he hadnt gotten all the meat and me and a neighbor went looking for the kill. He came back later in the day after finding someone to help him after we found the kill. When he came to me I told him it looked like he chewed off more than he could handle and he should have asked for help sooner, He agreed but said he had a didnt like to ask for help but learned a lesson from this. It is his first moose so everything turned out fine and he learned a little bit more. You should have seen the look on my face when I was giving him a lecture and making sure he was legal. I said I was minutes away from calling Fish & Feathers and he said "I am a State Trooper"
    It is my understanding that leaving meat in the field is against the law, even if one is a trooper. Call him in.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    It is my understanding that leaving meat in the field is against the law, even if one is a trooper. Call him in.
    He didn't leave it, he got it out in stages, just like most folks do.

It's still not legal, regardless of whether it makes a few squirrels and bears happy.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    He didn't leave it, he got it out in stages, just like most folks do.
    I believe that is a big negative. I just re-read the regs, there is nothing to say all meat must be removed in a certain amount of time, or that it must be done that day, but it does say all meat must be salvaged, which is a catch-22 if you leave the majority of the animal and some wolves or a bear comes in and begins eating the carcass. You know if you left it, and lost it, the brownshirts would have you instantly and easily provable in court that there was nothing to show you intended to come back the next day.

Step up to the plate alexander and call him in. He broke the law.

I'm tired of the leo groupies and sycophants, I want to see some action, not hypocrisy.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast