• Harvested a bear or other predator

22 35.48%
  • Never seen anything

29 46.77%
  • Seen an animal but did not connect

11 17.74%

Thread: Gut pile poll

Default Gut pile poll

I have meant to do this poll for awhile now and keep forgetting. I have created many guy piles in the last 20 years and have on a number of occasions sat a watched them sometimes for days. I have never had any bears or predators of any kind in my efforts. Would like to hear about positive results if you got them.

Quote Originally Posted by jnalaska View Post
    I have created many guy piles in the last 20 years and have on a number of occasions sat a watched them sometimes for days. I have never had any bears or predators of any kind in my efforts. Would like to hear about positive results if you got them.
    this doesnt sound right........

spell check is a cool feature.....jus sayin

Release Lake Trout

it all depends on where and when you do this.....most scavengers, bears included, are mainly nocturnal....ive rarely seen anything on a pile after dawn.....usually 2 hours before or after light is the best bet IMO.......there are exceptions but IME its been mostly during the dark hours....seems most critters get nervous feeding on scraps in the daylight....

Release Lake Trout

Specifically in Spring, with 24 hour light, I will hunt March Fat Cow Caribou, they like ridges and such, and in area's predators look for them. When I catch a few in an area that is easily seen for miles, I will skin and gut them where I drop them.
    I place the hides right on top of the guts and leave these dotting the landscape, 'cause warbel fly Larva holes in the skin and the easily slipped hairs make the hide useless.

Then the Ravens come in and feast. I believe the predators are often brought in by seeing the birds circling above.

With the hide atop, it can take days for Ravens and fox to finish the guts and a ride that brings me around them will let me cross tracks for tracking or spot and stalk, or just take a nice long well rested shot, as Fur to me requires no "Look over" before shooting.

Hours, days, weeks Later, I will ride the ridges above looking to cut tracks on later animals that are investigating the scraps or get a shot.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

When I lived in Barrow, before my residency kicked in I went out with 2 of other NSB Police Officers (one was a Alaska Native) to help out when they shot some caribou. We were right on the coast and about 20 miles from town on the return trip and their was a polar bear on one of our gut piles.

The Native cop would have shot it if we had any more room on the kamatik. Wasn't a huge bear, probably a 3 year old boar, but still really cool. I only saw a couple other polar bears when I lived there. Mostly they are a pain in the ass. Thanks to the Gov they are the freaking holy cow of India.

I shot at a coyote over a roadkill pile last Tuesday. Unfortunately I was using my 223 that I haven't shot lately. Needless to say that yote learned a valuable lesson and is a smarter one to boot. Darn it!

I've seen two grizz shot off gut piles of moose shot a week or less before. One was taken mid-day the other was about an hour before dark.

What was the mid day one? I think I remember the evening one

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    What was the mid day one? I think I remember the evening one
    You weren't there, it came off the gut pile of PolarisBlake's first moose.

Ah, on the float?

i shot a 7.5 ft grizz off my moose gut pile i shot 4 days earlier. i watched it every day for 6 days and on the 4th i shot my grizz. he was burying it
    NRA life Member JVJ

Shot a wolf off one 2 years ago however it took two weeks before he started to hit it. Hint: put a tree cam on it if in a well hidden area

Watched three moose gut piles this year for a week and nothing hit them other than ravens

I once shot a grizz off a 2 day old sheep gut pile about an hour before dark in the Brooks. Was only able to connect because the gut pile just happened to be up the mountain and within sight of our spike camp on the river. If not for the convenient location, we would not have made an effort to keep an eye on the guts. Kind of a lucky event really.

I shot my first bear, a sow black bear, off a two day old moose gut pile, mid-day. We could have had two if we had been more ready. The other was a big boar which had already eaten his fill.

Lol, I had a bear circling us when we was butchering my brothers last moose....in teh dark, 15 miles from home
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I few seasons back I was glassing down to the gut pile of a caribou I shot the day before. All the sudden a wolverine came scurrying out of the trees and climbed into the carcass. He stayed there for a few minutes then scurried back out and I never saw him again. Unfortunately season was closed for wolverine so he survived the day...

He would have made a dandy little rug!