Thread: Duck Lake

Default Duck Lake

I am going to try to get out to duck lake for the first time in a little bit. Tried going out exploreing yesterday and got a ticket for not having my life jacket with me (forgot it in the truck). Wish me luck!

Troppers were checking guys on Maud Rd today also. A couple guys I know were checked, lic and tags in good order but had no safety gear on boat except life jackets. No flares, fire extingisher, state id numbers, etc and just got a warning for all that. Of course, they just bought the boat Thursday (from me) so I guess the cops went easy on them. Bud
    Wasilla

AWE....I just reach for the bag of decoys..I could make a raft out of the bags I carry...lol

All jokes aside...life vest do save lives. I very seldom see waterfowlers wearing them...I am just as guilty at times..

If we focused on that part of gear as much as we do decoys ducks and dogs..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

What is actually required safety equipment wise. Everyone in my boat has a life jacket. but Flares?? Extinguisher?? I have water and a shotgun...does that count? I realize that I am going to get beat up for this post but oh well A link would be fine and I can figure it out from there. The boat is registered and has numbers..etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark and the boys View Post
    What is actually required safety equipment wise. Everyone in my boat has a life jacket. but Flares?? Extinguisher?? I have water and a shotgun...does that count? I realize that I am going to get beat up for this post but oh well A link would be fine and I can figure it out from there. The boat is registered and has numbers..etc.
    The regs change for each size of boat. What is regired is listed on the Alaska DNR website (I figured requirements would be listed on the DMV website where I registered my boat, but the state doesn't like to make the rules easily known) the link to the summerized rules is http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/...uire120309.pdf.
    Don't ask a wildlife Trooper what the regs are, he told me I needed several safety items for my boat I didn't have, so I went out and purchased them. (Said he was giving me a break for not ticketing me for them) Then I read the regs and found out I wasn't required to have them.

I could be wrong this time, I was once. I think the posted rules are for "navigable waterways" only. Still have to look up the defination of "navigable waterways" but I don't include DL as one. It is a marsh, swamp more then a lake. In my big boat, I have all the safety equipment required for rivers, etc. But my 13' duck boat has nothing except its own built in flotation. I do have auto inflatable vests (suspender type) that I wear all the time on the big boat, but leave on the boat when I go over to duck lake (2' avg depth) The only safety devices I have on my duck boat would be a whistle which I use for my dog, and my cell phone, since I do get cell coverage on dl. The only time I will really worry about it will be late season when we can get air temp will below freezing, before the lake turns to ice. With flotation in the boat, and me with waders, I should be able to manuver it to dry ground or a reed patch to bail if it should swamp. Bud
    Wasilla

Where were you at when you got checked?

It doens't matter navigable waterways or not, it goes by boat size not which typeof waterways they are on. I will be adding a few items to my boat:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/...uire120309.pdf

I agree with you Bud, but the troopers probably would write us a ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I could be wrong this time, I was once. I think the posted rules are for "navigable waterways" only. Still have to look up the defination of "navigable waterways" but I don't include DL as one. It is a marsh, swamp more then a lake. In my big boat, I have all the safety equipment required for rivers, etc. But my 13' duck boat has nothing except its own built in flotation. I do have auto inflatable vests (suspender type) that I wear all the time on the big boat, but leave on the boat when I go over to duck lake (2' avg depth) The only safety devices I have on my duck boat would be a whistle which I use for my dog, and my cell phone, since I do get cell coverage on dl. The only time I will really worry about it will be late season when we can get air temp will below freezing, before the lake turns to ice. With flotation in the boat, and me with waders, I should be able to manuver it to dry ground or a reed patch to bail if it should swamp. Bud