Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody using 300 AAC out there?

Default Anybody using 300 AAC out there?

Sounds like a good platform for dear hunting. Has anybody seen any ammo or brass around Anchorage? If you've used it, what are your opinions of it? Thanks.

Big problem is velocity and energy in this short case. The 300 Blackout has a stated velocity of only 1000 fps with 220 gr, 1300 fps with a 180 gr, 1500 fps with 150, and a whopping 2000 with a 120 gr projectile. If you work the math that is just not enough energy to reliabily take deer sized game.
    However if you are looking at clearing rooms at close range with low recoil, quick second, or third shots and good knockdown power up close- then this cartridge might have a niche.

I looked, didn't get impressed, moved on.
    Am looking at one of the 45 cal conversions though for a 100 yard deer gun- 460 S & W would be nice but the 450 Bushmaster looks more easy to get.

My nickels worth,
    Chris

Why not a .30 Remington AR? Significantly better speed with a 150gr bullet. Or better yet a 6.8 SPC.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Not used that cartridge specifically (however the 300 Whisper is very similar and its a good one), but I'd have no qualms killing deer with it. 30 caliber bullets in the right place simply kill deer sized game, regardless if it develops what some people demand in sufficient energy. However a subsonic .30 in an AR would only interest me in a suppressed platform...Obviously YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'd go 6.8 every day and twice on Sunday. Hit up AR Performance outta Colorado...you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'd go 6.8 every day and twice on Sunday. Hit up AR Performance outta Colorado...you won't be disappointed.
    So would I. Come to think of it I already did!!!

Blah, blah, blah...

Nice sticks for sure.

I have been playing with it for a couple months with a suppressed 9" and a 16" barrel. The subs go without much explaination since it is a 300 Whisper...they are quiet and hit with considerable whallop out to 100 yds or so. Shooting into gallon milk jugs filled with water shows the 225 gr tumble and fragment almost immediately and would cause extensive damage to a man/deer/hog or most anything for 16 -18" penetration. They do drop very quickly after 100 yds or so.

I'm working with both the 9" and 16" with 110 gr V-max and they will shoot at or under MOA out to 200 yds. 2325 FPS is the best I have seen and 2250 FPS is very easy with the 16". 2100 out of the 9" seems about right. I have not hunted with these rounds but will in November on deer.

I have killed maybe 15 deer and others have killed a lot more with my 16" 7mm TCU shooting a 115 gr at about 2000 FPS. That is my loaner for young kids and any good shot with it will kill deer so I believe the 300 Blackout should do just as good a job. I also use a 6x45 and 6.5mm TCU with great success on deer up to 180 - 200 lbs. No reason it shouldn't kill Caribou too within maybe 200 yds. I don't think I'd streach to elk but then punch an elk in the ribs and it will die from a lung shot.

I have a Grendel and a couple 6.8's and they are fine rounds out to 300 yds or so. I think at this point I would limit the 300 Blackout to 200 yds with supersonic and 125 yds for subsonic, but then it will certainly kill beyond that distance with a properly placed shot and a good bullet.

There have been train loads of deer killed with an M1 Carbine shooting 110 gr SP at less than 2000 FPS. But then my Grandfather killed deer and black bear with a .32-20 in an old Winchester 92....and anything else that got in front of him. I remember my Dad saying he was going buy his Dad a big gun like a .30-30 someday, but Grandpa was the preverbial one gun man and that's all he needed. He died at 89 still carrying his .32-20.

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Big problem is velocity and energy in this short case. The 300 Blackout has a stated velocity of only 1000 fps with 220 gr, 1300 fps with a 180 gr, 1500 fps with 150, and a whopping 2000 with a 120 gr projectile. If you work the math that is just not enough energy to reliabily take deer sized game.
    Those numbers are not correct. 300 AAC BLACKOUT is a 110 grain bullet at about 2400 fps from a 16 inch barrel, or a 125 grain bullet at 2250 fps. At 30 yards, it has as much energy as a 357 Magnum (from a 4 inch revolver) at the muzzle.

Also, it uses normal AR mags and will hold 30 rounds - and uses a normal bolt.

Lots of info here:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=128

rsilvers,

I was looking at and tried a 14" barrel. It was accucate though, just not what I was looking for. Still looking at figures for another upper though. But, I want to be able to harvest deer with it.

Chris

Shot with Remington 125 grain Match ammo (not hunting ammo), and 9 inch barrel AAC upper at 75 yards:

I've been interested with the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel, but it seems neither got the industry support the 300 aac is getting. All the deer
    I've taken or seen taken in Kodiak were well within 100 yards, so I don't think power will be a problem. But I'll have to get back into reloading and ordering supplies, as I have not seen anything in Alaska for 300 aac.

6.8 has way more industry support than the blackout does so far. Hit up 68forums.com

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    6.8 has way more industry support than the blackout does so far. Hit up 68forums.com
    Probably true at this point, with 300 AAC BLACKOUT being less than a year old and 6.8 being about 8 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinAK View Post
    I've been interested with the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel, but it seems neither got the industry support the 300 aac is getting. All the deer
    I've taken or seen taken in Kodiak were well within 100 yards, so I don't think power will be a problem. But I'll have to get back into reloading and ordering supplies, as I have not seen anything in Alaska for 300 aac.
    Between the Grendel and the 6.8 hey are about a wash out ot 400 yds or so. I like the Grendel best of those two because of the variety of lighter bullets available vs the .277's.

The BO has run for me flawlessly for about 600 rounds, mostly supersonic. The 6.8 and the Grendel not so much and you need a different bolt and sometimes you need to fool around with the mags to get them to feed properly. The BO runs like a watch with two uppers and 3 different lowers. I don't have a full auto to run it on anymore and that is such a waste of ammo anyway...when Uncle Sam isn't buying it!!

I'm still holding my breath for Remington management to let the other shoe fall but if they actually come thru with things they have promised the BO is cheaper to shoot from a brass and powder standpoint and you only need a new barrel to make the change over vs bolt, mag and brass for the other two.

I just put a YHM .308 can on my 16" and it sounds about like a 22LR if you ignor the supersonic crack. With the subs, it is "whisper" quiet....as you would expect. My 16" is a carbine length gas tube and a carbine buffer in an A2 stock and it works great.

I think if you can only have one of the 3 calibers, I would probably take the Grendel which has the least factory/industry support of all 3 even though several folks are trying to breath life into it again. I did build a .50 Beowulf but I have no real feeling for Alexander Arms...on the other hand the BO is probably more fun to shoot and it loads like the .223/5.56 on my 550B.

Best answer is to have all three calibers then you can't go wrong!!

From what I have seen doing internet research,(for whatever that is worth) the 30 cals that fit in a standard AR 15 platform will not produce the velocity that 30 cal users are otherwise used to. You have to adjust to limits on effective range.

I own 2 6.8s. Lots of support for it. Got them for the kid to use.............well I guess I'm one of the kids cuz the 2nd one was for me! Like the 30 cals on an AR, there are limits to the calibers effective range. Maybe not so much for deer. You need to handload to get the best performance for most of these newer AR platform calibers. There are also noticeable differences in velocity IMO with the standard 16-18 in. barrels used on ARs vs. the 22-24 in. barrels bolt gun shooters commonly use. You can certainly use longer barrels on ARs tho.

I recently read (again, on the internet) of Olympic Arms 300 OSSM. A 30 cal in a WSSM case. You can also get uppers for this cal from DTECH. Supposed to produce 30-06 150 and 180 gr. bullet velocities on an AR 15 platform. Looked pretty interesting to me. Might be just the place to spend my dividend!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The larger the case head in the AR-15 the less meat you have in the bolt to support the lugs. The WSSM cases scare me in the AR for that reason.

If you want the power and range step up to the AR-10 in .243, .260 or bigger. I think the 16" AR-10/A3 in 338 Federal or 358 Win. and a 2-7x Leupold compact would be a fine gun!! Not much you couldn't kill with that.

I've also done a bit of research on the .300 OSM and it sure looks like there are issues with getting any good velocity out of the 180's since they go down into the case so far. The other issue (for me) is that they need 24" barrels to get the high velocities. I haven't found any numbers showing velocities with 16" barrels. Too me, I have no interest in AR's with longer barrels.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    From what I have seen doing internet research,(for whatever that is worth) the 30 cals that fit in a standard AR 15 platform will not produce the velocity that 30 cal users are otherwise used to. You have to adjust to limits on effective range.
    The velocities are like 30-30 or 7.62x39 - two of the most popular 30 cals in the world, but it is not like 308 or 300 WM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast