Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shootable????

Default Shootable????

My Bro-in-law ran across a bull, hanging with a cow and two calf's. On one side, it was a four spiker, no brow tines at all. On the other side he said it had a two inch spike only. Only @ 2 inch. In a spike/fork area, would you have shot? He didn't. What is your interpretation of the regs, concerning this bull? Would you have put it down? When in doubt, I don't shoot but that is just me. The regs say a horn must be at least 1 inch, my interpretation of same. Anyone care to answer? Almost seems like that little bull got hit by something to knock the one side out?? Still, do you think it would have flown if Fish and Game got involved??? It almost like the horns of a broomed sheep. May not be full curl but there was a reason behind that Car damage to amount to a spike . Legal or not????? Just curious
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 09-17-2011 at 17:17. Reason: cause I can!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

shooter IMO, regs say a spike or fork on atleast ONE side.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

So long as the 2" spike was longer than the width of it's base then it was a legal bull in a spike fork area.
    If hunting for the larder? Bang.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I thought I read somewhere that a horn cant be destroyed or altered meaning by a hunter or by nature seems there was a fella near seward that got a ticket cause of something similar as this. If i recall right it was a nice horn on one side and the other was a broken horn which resembled a thick spike but was all worn down from normal moose movements but he still got a ticket if I recall...

Antler damage only disqualifies a bull in some units in southeast. Up here its a shooter.

Willphish has it correct. As per the regs "A damaged, broken or altered antler is not considered a spike-fork antler in units 1B, that portion of 1C south of Port Hobart, including all Port Hobart drainages, and 3."
    I had a similar instance in unit 13 where a small bull came by me and my son that had a small paddle on the left and on the right it was palmed but had no points that could be counted. I failed to have a copy of the regs with so we let it walk. Big mistake as my son found the regs later and pointed out that a point is only a point if it is over 1 inch long and less than 1 inch wide from the base. Both my son and I both make it a point to familiarize ourselves with the regs and have a copy in the back pack. I did teach him a lesson on patience though...
    Steve

[QUOTE=Steve_O;1009023I had a similar instance in unit 13 where a small bull came by me and my son that had a small paddle on the left and on the right it was palmed but had no points that could be counted. I failed to have a copy of the regs with so we let it walk. Big mistake as my son found the regs later and pointed out that a point is only a point if it is over 1 inch long and less than 1 inch wide from the base. Both my son and I both make it a point to familiarize ourselves with the regs and have a copy in the back pack. I did teach him a lesson on patience though...
    Steve[/QUOTE]

My interpritation is that a palm with or without points disqualifies this as a legal spike fork..

Maybe i'm wrong for once...lol

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_grizz View Post
    My interpritation is that a palm with or without points disqualifies this as a legal spike fork..

Maybe i'm wrong for once...lol
    I believe you are right Grizz. I sure wouldn't want to try and convince a trooper that a palm without points is the same as a spike.

Base has to be wider than the tip, regardless of length, for any point to qualify as a point. It would have to be an enormous base to make a palm a legal point!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Base has to be wider than the tip, regardless of length, for any point to qualify as a point. It would have to be an enormous base to make a palm a legal point!
    Or would it? If the palm is wider than it is long, by the definition in the regs, the entire palm becomes a point. Don't read into it, just read the legal definition of a point.

It even says that palmated bulls are seldom legal a spike/forks in the regs, meaning that some ARE legal. I've got a PM into the 'ask a wildlife trooper' section...

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    And by the way, that is not correct.

It has to be at least an inch long and longer than it is wide...nothin else in the regs says anything else other than those two cut and dried criteria...

Not sure on the damaged part, I made a post in another thread about my buddy getting cited $4500 and lost his hunting priv. for 2 yrs for shooting a damaged forked horn. In his case he shot it for a fork, only after getting it home he noticed the antler looked like it had broken one point that use to protrued off the base on the backside early in the season or while in velvet but was worn down almost smooth. He and his neighbor did not agree and wanted a expert opinion and WHAM, good old F&G nailed him even after the three individuals in the room couldn't agree. The one individual who one the argument quoted the part out of the Reg about damaging/damaged antlers and it held up in court. I'd pass on any that looked like it could be in the gray area. (this was in the valley area) JMOP

Yes, i misspoke- must be longer than wide, not the other way around. So if the palm is wider than the length, don't shoot!

It was only about 3 inches wide at the widest point and about 8-10 inches from his head. No brow tines on either side. There were only nubs around this palm and the other side only had 3 little points, just big enough to call points. The one side in question looked like a tall spike with a club at the end. Kind of a neat looking set up he had on top. Wish I had thought to pull out the camera.
    After reading the part about seldom are antlers with palms legal I feel this was one of those seldom times. If given that chance again I would have let the boy shoot. It was only about 10 yards away pushing a cow. (Really he was driving her nuts!) She probably led him by us so we could get him off her back. Almost literally!
    Steve

what about the little side note that says "a point or tine is an antler projection at least one inch long, and longer than it is wide, WITH THE WIDTH MEASURED ONE INCH OR MORE FROM THE TIP."
    we saw a fork horn this year but passed on him because of the last part of that sentence. he was for sure a point on the front but the back was two inches wide all the way from the base to the tip. it was longer than it was wide but if measured one inch down from the tip it would have been wider than one inch.

Still doesn't matter. It meets both criteria for a point.

I"ve never read that part in the regs that the width of the point can not exceed 1" wide 1" or more from the tip? That sound weird and I can't find that part.
    The reason I'm posting. I shot a small bull with a paddle and 7 points on one side and a brow tine and a small paddle with no points on the other side. Due to my understanding of the defintion of a point. I even took the bull by fish and game in Glennallen and showed it to them, they said its a rare site but perfectly legal under a Fork horn, there were along 2 points anyway you figure it, one if you dont count the paddle. Either way it was a shooter.

If it was a broken antler, a broken antler is not a spike. That one will get you in trouble. If it was a spike, it was legal.

Funny how there are many interpretations of the regs? !8 posts with over half having a different take on what is written in the regs. That is why I posted this, I was as confused as the next guy. Guess I'll have to have my lawyer with me next time I go to kill something!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by akmike84 View Post
    I"ve never read that part in the regs that the width of the point can not exceed 1" wide 1" or more from the tip? That sound weird and I can't find that part.
    The reason I'm posting. I shot a small bull with a paddle and 7 points on one side and a brow tine and a small paddle with no points on the other side. Due to my understanding of the defintion of a point. I even took the bull by fish and game in Glennallen and showed it to them, they said its a rare site but perfectly legal under a Fork horn, there were along 2 points anyway you figure it, one if you dont count the paddle. Either way it was a shooter.
    This is my understanding. Post a pic please...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast