Thread: Juneau opening day...

Default Juneau opening day...

was a zoo! Lol! I'm not griping, it's to be expect. My opening day trip turned out to be a comedy of errors. Sleeping through the alarm, heading to the refuge at the most poplar spot. There were 30 rigs at the airport dike trail at 4:45 am. A couple tumbles in the dark, dropping my wallet and having to back track. Anyway, a little buddy from church and I were able to head home with one bird each. Sitting on the flats for a couple hours is always enjoyable, ducks or not.

Almost everyone we ran into was very friendly and polite. Had a band of high-schoolers help me look for my wallet. Stand up kids.

The only grumpy guys were the ones who rode back to their rigs as we were just getting started down the trail. They were ticked that it was so crowded. "We shouldn't have to get up at [beeping] 2am to shoot ducks!" Lol, well, you do on opening day on the refuge in Juneau!

I'm a fowl weather hunter, so opening day is always a too warm, dry and calm for my liking. The real hunting will start in October when everyone else stays home.

How did the rest of the Juneau guys do? I know of at least two spots that had to have limited out with the amount of shooting we heard.

Erich

No one else on here hunted, huh?

Erich

I havent even gotten stamps. Not gonna do any duck hunting this year I think. Got too much going on, plus going to be out of town for the majority of the season!

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    I havent even gotten stamps. Not gonna do any duck hunting this year I think. Got too much going on, plus going to be out of town for the majority of the season!
    One less crazy nut out there! Yipee!

Jesse and I will give heck for you.

Erich

I can't believe you have the discipline to take a season off it's INCONCEIVABLE to me

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    I can't believe you have the discipline to take a season off it's INCONCEIVABLE to me
    Not like I really want to, but I'm going to be in Sitka for 7 weeks, then off to somewhere else for at least 15 more weeks, all for more training :S

I agree was a zoo. Only managed one bird because there was at least 4 groups of people hunting around me. Any bird that wanted to land on me had to go through everyone else. Not the best opening day for me

Quote Originally Posted by alaskafudge12 View Post
    I agree was a zoo. Only managed one bird because there was at least 4 groups of people hunting around me. Any bird that wanted to land on me had to go through everyone else. Not the best opening day for me
    Yeah, that's just how it is when you have such an awesome and accessible refuge right inside town. It will cool down here soon. Today's storm would have been fun to hunt. I love days like this on really high tides!

Which entry point did you go in? We rode to the end of the airport dike trail.

Erich

High tides? Yesterday there was only 4ft of water that moved between high and low. I went out early yesterday and there was no wind at all (lots of rain but no wind). I limited out in 1.5hrs and each of my friends got 4 each. Pretty mixed bag mallards, pintails, wiggon, a blue bill, and a few sneaky spoonbills. Opening day is for suckers

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    High tides? Yesterday there was only 4ft of water that moved between high and low. I went out early yesterday and there was no wind at all (lots of rain but no wind). I limited out in 1.5hrs and each of my friends got 4 each. Pretty mixed bag mallards, pintails, wiggon, a blue bill, and a few sneaky spoonbills. Opening day is for suckers
    I meant that I love to hunt stormy days, like yesterday, especially when they come with super high tides, but yesterday was NOT one of those high tide days.

Since we're talking about storms and tides. That low that came through yesterday brought a 1.8' storm surge with it. I watched it deviate from the tide predictions on the tide gauge downtown. Pretty cool to see.

Glad you did well. You must have gone out early because it was RIPPING downtown by lunch time.

Erich

Was set up by 5:30 and back at the truck by 9:30. The weather started picking up right after we left. lots of birds moving though, and no one else out there pushing them around, which was kind of odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    I meant that I love to hunt stormy days, like yesterday, especially when they come with super high tides, but yesterday was NOT one of those high tide days.

Since we're talking about storms and tides. That low that came through yesterday brought a 1.8' storm surge with it. I watched it deviate from the tide predictions on the tide gauge downtown. Pretty cool to see.

Glad you did well. You must have gone out early because it was RIPPING downtown by lunch time.

Erich
    For some reason I can just picture you out there in your marsh rat...3 foot curls coming over top of it

For some reason I can just picture you out there in your marsh rat...3 foot curls coming over top of it
    I stay out of that stuff. I like slipping into a protected spot and have the birds pile in!

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    I stay out of that stuff. I like slipping into a protected spot and have the birds pile in!

Erich
    I thought you were a brave man!?

I thought you were a brave man!?
    I've got an amazing wife and two of the test kids there ever was. I don't purposely set out to chance my making it home again!

Erich