Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Unit 13 hunt pressure increase??

Default Did Unit 13 hunt pressure increase??

what have you guys been seeing?
    this past week in one valley in one day i saw 6 super cubs, haven't seen a plane out there in that valley in a long long long time. three of them landed within sight of each other. pilot i fly with mentioned the same, he had never seen that much cub traffic in the area...wondering if the teir I tag offer has increased pressure in unit 13 across the unit...denali is busy anywhere else?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I can tell you without a doubt that has increase in the area's we hunt.. I have never seen that many people. Last year we hunted a section for 4 days and didn't see a soul.. I just got back tonight and we saw over a dozen guys in that same area.. In one area up the road I stopped counting at 24 vehicles as a drove by..

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    what have you guys been seeing?
    this past week in one valley in one day i saw 6 super cubs, haven't seen a plane out there in that valley in a long long long time. three of them landed within sight of each other. pilot i fly with mentioned the same, he had never seen that much cub traffic in the area...wondering if the teir I tag offer has increased pressure in unit 13 across the unit...denali is busy anywhere else?
    I only hunted 13 for about 9 days this year. Labor day weekend never did see another hunter other than my partners. The following weekend I saw less than the usual amount. Overall for me where I was hunting and usually hunt it seems to be the same or less. I was expecting much worse given the limitations of only able to hunt moose and caribou in 13 with the tier I thing. I was pleasantly surprised.

Had 3 different parties drive through our camp..(no they did not stop to say hi and one camped about 1500 yds from us)

Over the last 8 years in that same area we never see a soul.

I was on the Denali from about Sept 10-15 trying to fill my DC483 caribou tag. I spent time on the hwy between McLaren Summit and the Swede Lake Trail and then rode 25 miles out the Swede Lake trail. I saw bou scattered here and there, a couple hundred, but they were all cows, calves, and real small bulls. Where in the heck are the bigger bulls? I'm headed back today for one last effort.

Anyway, to your question, there was no shortage of moose hunters out the Swede Lake Trail (probably typical).

bigger bulls are south near the clarence lake area...
    i've wondered if sept hunting pressure would be higher as folks are trying to combine their moose and caribou into one trip.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    bigger bulls are south near the clarence lake area...
    i've wondered if sept hunting pressure would be higher as folks are trying to combine their moose and caribou into one trip.
    I was trying to combine mine, DC-480 with moose. We spent just over a couple weeks out there and turned up snake-eyes for both. No legal moose to be seen and only a handful of caribou passing through.

We talked to some guys that were first-timers in the area and wouldn't have been there if their usual area wasn't shut down.
    Now what ?

Highway traffic is huge. We went up last night with no less than six places in mind to tuck into with my three kids. All were already occupied, and I've never had that before. Unfortunately I didn't have a plan B or my wheelers with me. We'd planned on hunting on foot but still needed an access point. Since I wasn't too serious, I left those folks alone and camped at that little campground at E.Fork Chulitna. My boy and I put on a few miles along the river and some of the flats and never really cut a track, so we bagged it this morning and came home.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm sorry to hear that, Doug, but not really surprised. I'm heading up along that corridor for a day hunt tomorrow and will be hunting an area where I was all alone on a weekend last year at this same time, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at all if I have company. It won't be too big of a deal, as moose will be more of a target of opportunity for me as I head into the alpine for some hiking, climbing, and bear hunting, but still...I certainly prefer solitude. I suppose a road in Unit 13 in September isn't the place to find it, though.

As for my experiences thus far in Unit 13 during moose season, I was in an area that I haven't hunted since the late 90's over Labor Day weekend. We saw a few parties of day hunters, but only one other gentleman who was camped out and hunting. More pressure than used to be in that area when it wasn't much of a trail, but not too bad either with plenty of room to hunt without company.

No worries. Packing an almost 12 y.o. girl, a 15y.o, boy, and their 16 y.o. sister into the camper was a quick reminder why I usually hunt with only one of them at a time I'd love to paint a picture of perfect family unity..but I'd be a liar The weather up there was nice, so I hustled south this morning and found it to be raining at home. Of course, the one thing I want to get done is under the drip edge of the roof. So here I sit, bagel in hand, on the computer and doing laundry. I live in Unit 14, so I have one more weekend to go. This time it will just be the boy and I.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've hunted 13 almost exclusively for a number of years and yes...the amount of hunting pressure is definately up. I wanted to blame the Tier 1 factor entirely but 20D pressure is much higher than I've ever seen as well. A lot of the camps I've spoken with are from the KP and most were grumpin' about the new antler restrictions there so came up to GMU20 for moose hunting.

I saw a bunch of moose hunters in the north end of 13 today from Top of the World clear up to Black Rapids and that area is anything but productive for moose.

How is 13 on the Glenn highway side? I am really hoping to live on the Glenn and Hunt 13 and 11. I can smell my retirement coming.

I have been hunting the Denali Hiway for years and I do believe this year I have seen a lot more hunters than usual. I believe it is because of the Tier 1 hunt reqirements. I saw a lot more moose hanging in several camps this year. I believe fish and game will be increaseing the brow tines from 3 to 4 after this year. When you limit a large amount of hunters to just one area that puts a lot of pressure on the moose population.

Quote Originally Posted by jda52 View Post
    I have been hunting the Denali Hiway for years and I do believe this year I have seen a lot more hunters than usual. I believe it is because of the Tier 1 hunt reqirements. I saw a lot more moose hanging in several camps this year. I believe fish and game will be increaseing the brow tines from 3 to 4 after this year. When you limit a large amount of hunters to just one area that puts a lot of pressure on the moose population.
    The limit on the Denali hwy has been 4 brow tines for quite a few years now already.

I'd vote increased pressure as well. More people back in where we were than I've ever seen, but I'm not sure we had much to worry about. Half of em were broke down and the other half didn't appear to be hunting very hard...

We only got a forker, but made the best of the short time we had out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    The limit on the Denali hwy has been 4 brow tines for quite a few years now already.
    DOH! Hope the 50" rule hasn't changed!!! They go 55?!!

Just ribbing...

I've never seen as many other hunters as I did to day in unit 13. easily saw 5 hunters to every moose. Might be time to start looking outside of unit 13. Puritan creek looked like a truck stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    Might be time to start looking outside of unit 13
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I couldn't agree more.
    Yup, it's a big state, looks like we need to start spreading out...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Yup, it's a big state, looks like we need to start spreading out...
    God bless you and your offsprings.

Hard to believe some of the threads thus far regarding "my right to impose"..."he doesn't own the land..I do"

Such a BIG state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast