Thread: Friday Duck Hunt

Default Friday Duck Hunt

Me and my buddy decided to take the day off work and head out to cottonwood this morning. After fighting the mud and spiderwebs we got to our hole and set up the decoys. I told my buddy, it was probably going to be slow today because we were the only guys out there.Two minutes after shooting time we had a huge flock of widgeon blast through the decoys. We were able to knock a couple down, I was kind of upset because my buddy shot my bird. I saw it fold when I fired, then a second later he fired and I saw feathers come out. It was kind of mangled, but I was able to salvage most of the breast. The cool thing was they were almost in full color. After that one flock came through things got really SLOW. We didn't hear any shooting from the Knik, or from Duck Lake. We had a couple jump shooters show up for a little while, but they didn't move many birds around. We had singles and doubles trickle in about every 30 to 45 minutes. Mostly widgeon flying around today. We had a group of 3 cranes fly by that were almost in shooting range. About another 20 yards lower and I would have taken a poke at them. By noon we had not seen any birds flying for about an hour. My buddy looks over and asks if we should pick up the decoys and go get a burger. I told him I wanted to wait until 1230. He agreed, and we sat there for another 25 minutes without seeing a single bird fly. Suddenly I hear the jet engine sound of a flock of birds descending on our decoys. I look around and see nothing, then look up and HOLY CRAP!!! About 20 mallards cupped with landing gear down right overhead. I yell "take em" to my buddy, and shot, knocking down a duck. He was looking all around trying to find them and finally figured out they were right on top of us. He emptied his gun and missed all 3 shots. At this point I had 7 birds on the string, and wasn't expecting to see anything else. So I head out to pick up my mallard and get about half way there and notice something moving out of the corner of my eye. I look and see a single, but too late. He was flairing out of range, and he busted me. I pulled out my call gave him a couple quacks and he turned and came back. As he closed the distance, I put the bead right on his bill, pulled the trigger and folded a really nice pintail. Against all odds I managed to scratch out a limit today. 4 Widgeon, 2 Mallards, 1 Gadwall, and 1 Pintail. My buddy got 2 Widgeon, 2 Teal, and a Mallard. Not bad for being the only guys out on the flats.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Nice work, nothing beats the sound of ducks cupped and committed!! Funny how they always know when you are thinking of heading out, buddies dad always said the best duck call was the sound of a gun case being zipped up.

Goood job man...congrats. Bet it was peacefull out there. Sounds like a great morning sitting in the marsh.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Every morning in the marsh is a great one
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!