Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-51 crashes at Nevada Air Races.

Default P-51 crashes at Nevada Air Races.

Video shows it coming almost straight down, maybe 70-degrees or so and hitting at high speed.

Reports say 30+injured and deaths. Not sure tho. I'm sure the pilot died.Still looking for info.

Earliest video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNeP...ature=youtu.be

RR

Reportedly it was Jimmy Leeward in "Galloping Ghost"
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/...h_8684965.html

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    Video shows it coming almost straight down, maybe 70-degrees or so and hitting at high speed.

Reports say 30+injured and deaths. Not sure tho. I'm sure the pilot died.Still looking for info.

Earliest video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNeP...ature=youtu.be

RR
    It appears all video links have been terminated. I was in the middle of downloading a link to upload here and my connection got terminated.

There's a video on CNN but it's not a very good quality.

Very sad. Anyone who's ever been to the air races knows how it could happen. Part of the excitement is because you're so close to the action. It'll never be the same.

Official report says 3 dead, and 56 injured.
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Reportedly it was Jimmy Leeward in "Galloping Ghost"
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/...h_8684965.html
    Yeah, out of Ocala, Florida. Another good driver gone west.

My snow-bird mechanic, John, was at the race and has been there every year, like forever. Yesterday I called his cell phone and eamiled him ... no response yet, got my fingers crossed.

Death toll is now 9. Sad
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have seen that modified P-51 race a couple times. One news source claimed that some eye-witnesses saw part or all of a trim tab fly off just before he lost control. As least he went doing what he loved.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Report from Reno .... John and his wife were helping out in the open air tower and were 150 ft from impact. At first it looked like the plane was heading stright at them and at the last instant veered off. Box seat seat 42 was the "Alaskan" box seat and John said that the plane hit box seat 44 but the blast was away from them, all are OK. John also reported a trim tab came off the plane and that the pilot G'ed out on the way up and was not visable in the cockpit when the plane impacted. On the way down the pilot was not flying the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have seen that modified P-51 race a couple times. One news source claimed that some eye-witnesses saw part or all of a trim tab fly off just before he lost control. As least he went doing what he loved.
    With 5' chopped off each wing, and a myriad other "modifications," that airplane must have been prertty tough to fly . . . but fast!!!

Sorry to see another good pilot go west like that.

Photo showing missing trim tab just before impact. Scroll down for another photo showing nothing but clear canopy, no pilot visible. That photo supports the G'd out possibility.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44556695/ns/us_news-life/#.Tnc5K9RCg4O

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    Photo showing missing trim tab just before impact. Scroll down for another photo showing nothing but clear canopy, no pilot visible. That photo supports the G'd out possibility.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44556695.../#.Tnc5K9RCg4O

Can someone explain to me where the aircraft and pilot could have reached a debilitating G-force situation? It seems that everything in those Unlimited Class air races are positive Gs created by tight, high-speed turns. Might the pilot have bent over to take care of the fuel shut-off valve, fuel selector valve, ignition switch, emergency hydraulic release, or even one of the several trim wheels mounted below him? Just askin'.

this is why i never attend airshows, they should be outlawed and are a disaster waiting to happen.

If you never attend you have nothing to fear. Your choice. If I attend I accept the risk. My choice. I've been to the Reno Air Races. Had an all week pit pass. It was more fun than you can imagine.

I feel like I'm attending an airshow race every weekend or whenever the sun comes out in the summer. Whether I like it or not.

To me it's akin to someone passing by on their snomachine at 100 MPH while I'm skiiing or running a dogteam on the river: Threatening someone with a deadly weapon.

You pilots who fly over people's homes at less than 500 feet really ought to rethink how you are representing the pilot population. Especially the guys with crazy loud props.

its a shame so many people had to die and get injured just because that guy died doing what he loved.
    Semper Fi!

I'd love to see the Air Races some day and I hope they don't go away. I'd personally feel a lot safer there than I would at a big soccer game or rock concert. I don't hear as much talk of ending sporting events or concerts when multiple casualties occur at those venues. Aviation does seem to be a rather juicy target for the media, however. I'm just surprised I haven't seen any stories like: "That was just an accident. and it just shows the carnage that could happen if a terrorist got ahold of one of those evil flying machines!"
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I'd love to see the Air Races some day and I hope they don't go away. I'd personally feel a lot safer there than I would at a big soccer game or rock concert. I don't hear as much talk of ending sporting events or concerts when multiple casualties occur at those venues. Aviation does seem to be a rather juicy target for the media, however. I'm just surprised I haven't seen any stories like: "That was just an accident. and it just shows the carnage that could happen if a terrorist got ahold of one of those evil flying machines!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast