Thread: What a hunt, thanks Steve.

Default What a hunt, thanks Steve.

My wife and I had been planning a trip to Ak for a while, I was looking for someone to let us tag along on a ptarmigan hunt. Steve (sameyer) was nice enough to extend an invitation. Last Saturday the time for the hunt finally arrived. We met Steve, Christine, and his dog Winchester at 6:00 am. We had a short drive to the trailhead. We sarted up the mountain in the twighlight. Steve took it easy on us with a nice steady pace on the trail. We made it up to the tree line and took a short break. We shed our rain pants, got something to drink and were on our way again. Winchester was ranging out to the sides of the trail as we made our way. About 10 minuets after reaching the tree line, winchester bumped some birds. We asked Steve if that's what we were after. He said that they were. My wife and I headed that way. As we neared the location where the first birds got up from, two more flushed. My wife shot first, dumping hers. Then I shot, we had our first ptarmigans. We retrieved the birds, and tryed to work the area where the others flew. We weren't able to find the others, so we headed up the mountain on the same bench. Not long into it, winchester bumped another bird that flew to our left. My wife shot first and missed, I followed up with a miss and a score. We had another one on the ground. After we retrieved the bird, we worked our way to where it had gotten up. Winchester worked into the area slowly. Steve worked him in to a nice point. We had a hard time getting the birds to flush, but they finally did. All together we ended up with 6 white tails. As we were collecting up the birds and chatting about how great it all was, Steve noticed that winchester had cut one of his paws pretty deep. It wasn't life threating, but it did need to be taken care of soon. So we decided to head down the mountain. My wife and I were thrilled with the morning. It was already more than we expected or dreamed of. By the time we made it down to the bottom of the mountain, I don't think these flat-landers could of handled any more anyway.

heading up the mountain
    th_004-3.jpg
    taking a break
    th_005-2.jpg

More pics next post.

more pics,

th_010-3.jpg

the subject of the point
    th_009-2.jpg

More pis next post

more pics
    th_024-2.jpg

Steve and winchester
    th_030-3.jpg

Thanks a million again Steve, we had a great time.

You are more than welcome Dan and Linda, we certainly enjoyed you company, your great shooting and your love of dogs, you are welcome to hunt with us any time. Winchester is doing great and should be ready to hunt in a few days (he doesn't think he is hurt at all of course and I can't wait to have him back in the field.)

Sounds like a nice trip!!!! Hard to get Alaska out of your system after a trip like that! I've taken rock and willow ptarmigan, but not a white-tail yet! Congrats!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans