Thread: Tustumena Ducks?

Default Tustumena Ducks?

I have been pondering a duck hunt on Tustumena lake this summer and fall.
    I have seen ducks out there in past years while cruising around in the boat this time of year in the past.
    Anyway I came across this article while searching the net.
    http://kenai.fws.gov/overview/notebo...ct/27oct00.htm
    has anyone on here hunted Tustumena for ducks?
    I was going to bring some decoys and try my hand at some duck calling but the article mentions jump shooting on the flats.
    Just curious if anyone had any helpful advice.
    I will probably give it a shot sometime after I get off the slope on Tuesday.
    Might see if my dad wants to go and try the shotgun I bought him on something other than clay pigeons.
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

That is some very good info in that artical. Might be worth firing up the motorhome and heading down for a weekend. I was going to suggest Skilak but it is covered. Bud
    Wasilla

Chris, when I have been fishing at the landing in late September mornings I have heard shotgun fire coming from northwest of the outlet of the lake. I didn't investigate.
    Ducks move up and down that part river through the winter, and if a person had a retrieval craft they might do well on slackwater.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Chris, when I have been fishing at the landing in late September mornings I have heard shotgun fire coming from northwest of the outlet of the lake. I didn't investigate.
    Ducks move up and down that part river through the winter, and if a person had a retrieval craft they might do well on slackwater.
    Steve we have gotten a few ducks over the years from slackwater all the way down to the bridge. Especially from my 16' Driftboat.
    Plus you oftentimes pick up some silvers as well.
    Still I would like to try for ducks on the lake itself weather on the glacier flats or some of the other areas I have seen ducks on the lake in the fall.
    I am going to see if my dad wants to go as he has the lake boat(20' Lund Alaskan) and loves to boat on Tustumena. If not I have borrowed the boat in the past I just need to see if my hunting buddy can work it out to go with me.
    I will post a report after I go.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"