Thread: Is there a 30# silver salmon out there

Default Is there a 30# silver salmon out there

OK, I know this one is controversial:

A near 27# silver was recorded by hook and line in Icy Strait this year. However, I caught an extremely large silver last week in a lightly fished remote area. Over the last decade or so, I have caught several like this; not many - but more than one. This makes me wonder, if there are more whoppers out there than the records indicate, as people who keep the fish may not bother with the process needed to report a world record (or even top 10), and many - myself included - release most fish.

What is the largest silver (by weight) that you have caught? (I'll post mine a little later; when I have properly evaluated the photos for girth and length - didn't have a tape measure, so I put the rod/net in the photo for reference; I don't want to sell a fish story, but it is very large fish).

And do you think a 30# silver is out there?

30# is very possible up here. They have caught them in the Great Lakes I believe. Some of the big ones are actually a coho/ chinook hybrid. Anything is possible.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Anything is possible.
    Amen to that. They are still discovering new species so a larger than average size fish is well within the realm of possibility.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

My wife and have chased Silvers in Southeast, South Central and Kodiak. We have caught three over 20#. they were on Kodiak and just barley over the 20# mark. 30 may be possible but not likely IMO. They seam to be getting smaller the last couple years. What have the size of the winners of some of the derbies been averaging the last few years? Bigger or smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    My wife and have chased Silvers in Southeast, South Central and Kodiak. We have caught three over 20#. they were on Kodiak and just barley over the 20# mark. 30 may be possible but not likely IMO. They seam to be getting smaller the last couple years. What have the size of the winners of some of the derbies been averaging the last few years? Bigger or smaller?
    There was a 27 lber reported this year.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    MTGUY you should read these 2 articles. It is very likely.

http://www.adn.com/2011/08/19/202288...landed-in.html
    http://www.igfa.org/species/199-salmon-coho.aspx
    Piscor Ergo Sum

it would be very easy to have a 30lb silver........they are the most predatory salmon so it wouldn't be hard for them to pack on a few extra pounds. Not to mention if you had one that stayed in the salt an extra year it is very possible givin the amount of food they can consume.

Stevesch, show us the pic eh?

I catch 30lb silvers all the time.....I have learned that the closer you hold them to the camera, the larger the fish will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Stevesch, show us the pic eh?
    OK, here is the biggest (with 9.5 ft z axis rod for reference) and smallest silver. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9100267.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	53536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9090225.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	53537

My guess, based on estimated length and girth would actually be ~18-20# for the big one. Seemed larger than that at the time. But still a nice fish.

The small one is ~ 13" and maybe 1#.