Thread: I think I need a new hunting buddy or group

Default I think I need a new hunting buddy or group

Well my current group of duck hunters have proved to be useless. I come from the Midwest, Illinois, where the duck hunting is tough. We are half way through the missisissppi flyway and ducks are call shy decoy shy and just all around shy. So I had to learn how to call like a pro and quick, or my dad wouldn't let me go with lol. Up here I'm finding it hard to find spots that produce a good amount of working ducks. Also my party, they don't know how to sit still. It will be 700am when shooting hours started at 630 and we had been set up since 540, not a lot of sitting by any of us who have really hunted. So after we get the first few ducks to fly by and take a shot or two and I call some they instantly wanna go jump shooting. I have no problems with jump shooting, but not what I want. I'm hoping to find someone who has some good spots and willing to let me tag alone. Along with being a veteran caller I also have 12 full size mallard, 12 small mallards(all of those being floaters), and 12 field decoys mallards. And a mojo of course. Maybe I'm being greedy but I just want a duck hunting partner who isnt a moron and likes just being outside waiting for that next group to come in. Btw I'm In anchorage so no Fairbanks lol

pm sent, check your pm box pls. Bud
    Wasilla

hmmmm havent got it yet...

hey duckhunter, I too am looking for a group to hunt with, recently moved from MN, hunted a lot in ND and MN I do not have a boat, but if you do and are looking for some one to tag along I would be interested, I also have 2 dozen field mallard, 6 ffd field geese, and 6 ffd floater geese, and a mojo (lucky duck). I am appreciate letting birds work the decoys and shooting them when they are in your face, am perfectly content hanging outside over a decoy spread anytime. Let me know what you think

duckhunter, give me a call. Bud 373 6208
    Wasilla

Harker give me a call sometime at 9078300986 and let's set something up

Duckhunter - I would be more than happy to sit over some decoys with you. I have only been up here in AK for a few years now but came from MT and ID where you could limit and get off the water and still make breakfast at the local cafe. I have several dozen floating malards, a robo duck and a well seasoned and behaved lab. I am heading out for my last moose hunt this weekend but would be up for getting together any time between next week and the end of the season. Let me know.

Sounds like we are cut from the same cloth..lol

I now surround myself with friends who appreaciate a good marsh sitting when it comes to waterfowling...

Good luck on your quest..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Also from Illinois. You duck hunt the Illinois River area, the resevoirs or elsewhere?
    Shot my first duck on Shelbyville, where I hunted a lot. Also spent quite a bit of time at Carlyle walk-in area. Only hunted Illinois River area a couple of times.

Like you, I never saw he attraction of jump shooting, and the older I get the less I enjoy it.

I am not the most experienced Alaska waterfowler, but I have noticed that calling doesn't work the same here as in Illinois. For me, it seems that much sparser calling is more effective. The ducks aren't as vocal, I think because a lot of them are still youngsters and haven't started thinking of dating, lol. Or it could also be that I am just not that good of a caller, and less of my calling is better.

I too am from the Illinois River Valley and have been hunting ducks up here for almost 11 years. I also like to sit and have the ducks work the spreads. But for me up here I dont start hitting them hard until the end of September/early October. Ducks start to get a little more vocal, group up and work the spreads a lot more. By the middle of October its almost like being in the midwest again except up here in the interior, there is usually snow by then. Cant wait to get out in a few weeks and start blasting some greenheads!

Hey duckhunter, sorry did not see this post in time today but will give you a call tomorrow (saturday) and see if we can set something up. I have a 952 area code on my cell phone so if you see some weird number that would be me.

Brandon

In response to my other illinois friends. I am from mercer country which boarders the Mississippi river near the quad cities if you've ever heard of that area lol. I did most of my hunting in new Boston bay which is just a big pocket of water and great when we had water lol. Some main river hunting when me or my dad drew a blind. That's the thing I miss the most is drawing for blinds every 3 years. I also did a bunch of hunting in Canada in the big fields up there, and a distant cousin who I got close with owns a guide service in arkansas, stuttgrat. So I feel like I've hunted some of the way areas of duck hunting the lower 48 has to offer. And know I'm looking for those good spots. An my main problem from what I've gathered is lack of boat. I do have access to a 22 ft inboard jet, but just not exactly what I need, little to heavy, and as long as my buddy goes a 10 ft boat, no motor or anything and it's rather small but can float for decoys and ducks also help us get to the deeper areas if need be. I am waiting for the ducks to get down here for now I have a little honey hole that I hit this morning but it's about 3 mile walk with decoys and through some thick bush. But I don't complain and bagged myself 2 wigeons this morning, most ducks I've got so far in one day. And gonna hit tomorrow all day instead of the little hour and half I did this morning. Maybe get some later ducks.

If you havnt done it yet, try walking out cottonwood creek access and find a little pond to hunt. Somebody posted here this week of his success. Cottonwood is off Fairview loop rd in wasilla, easy to find. Bud
    Wasilla

Default duck hunting

hey, don't be so hard on your duck hunnting buddies. you have apparently recently arrived here from the lower 48 and don't like the way we hunt ducks. the thing is people here often want to hunt in a more proactive way. personally i love to jump shoot ducks and prefer it to sitting around with a call in my mouth. both are good ways to hunt ducks as long as you are enjoying it.

I was bummed with the sky busting on opening day. I like to let the birds work and take cupped wings. I swear if a bird flew over the marsh regardless of how high it was shot at by several different groups. It happens everywhere but I was really surprised at how bad it was here.

sounds just like my group. I'm the only one who has practiced and gotten any good at calling...they all go and start jump shooting within the 1st hour....I stay in the blind half the time and shoot what they kick up lol. PM me if your still looking...seems like you have a lot of applicants though. thanks

Lee

Hunt solo. Then you only have yourself to swear it. Or, maybe the dog watches you throw a fit after your missed shot and then just goes back to watching the marsh shaking her head wondering what your problem is.

New to area, my wife and i got relocated from Ohio to Anchorage. seeing if anyone needs a reliable duck hunting buddy. i was able to bring 150 decoys (floaters, shells and full body) ducks and geese, 2 mojo's teal, laydown blind and 17ft canoe on our move. but the kicker is my boat is still down in ohio. Thanks again Kyle L.