Thread: Any Wooldridge Sport owners out there?

Default Any Wooldridge Sport owners out there?

So its the annual Moose hunt, and my new 20' Sports acid test, load wise.
    150 Optimax on it with jet pump. 4 of us, packing reasonably for 8 days, 45 USG in the tank, and an extra 45.
    So hopefully, we'll be coming home with 2 Moose. By then we'll be down on fuel and food.
    Think I'll have much trouble getting on step assuming we dress the Moose out, no horns etc?
    I had 7 people (no kids), 3 dogs, full fuel, and overnight gear/food for everyone earlier this year, and no problem at all popping up.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yukoner,

I have a 20 foot Wooldridge Sport with a Suzuki 140 and an Outboard Jet unit. I had a large load one time that I could not get on step. The total weight of the hull, engine, fuel, batteries, gear, cargo, and me was about 4465 lbs. Nothing but plowing at full throttle and 5300 rpm. I removed 300 lbs. The result was that I could sluggishly get on step at about 4165 lbs., and stay on step using not less than 4700 rpm.

I became more concerned about weight after that trip and tried to lighten the boat. I removed the fish drawer from the back of the boat and removed both bench seats. Then, one day, I happened to remove the two pieces of decking near the center of the boat while cleaning and discovered how heavy they are (at least 70 or 80 lbs. each!) Marine grade pressure treated plywood sure is heavy especially when itís wet! So I removed those too leaving the decking at the front and back of the boat in place. I donít use the boat as a fishing platform, but as a pickup truck to haul things. I just put down a piece of ordinary cdx plywood to cover and protect the fuel tank which runs along the boat centerline. It also serves as a catwalk to go aft.

I think Iíve saved over 200 lbs with these modifications. Now I estimate my zero fuel empty weight to be about 1800 lbs.

Good luck on your moose hunt!

Default sport with 150 obj

my Sport 2000 has mercury carburated 2-stroke 150 HP (410lbs), a remote control power tilt yamaha T-8 (130 lbs), a 12 gallon kicker tank (90lbs), an separate kicker battery (35lbs), bow rails, anchor rode locker, anchor mount, downrigger mounts & other misc BS at about (75lbs).

I have gotten on step with full main (338 lbs) and kicker gas tanks and 4 adults, 4 kids (say 900 lbs for these particular bodies) and maybe another 100 lbs of food, tools, water, clothing, etc....

all that stuff listed above including the engines and gas in both tanks weighs 2078 lbs beyond the bare stock empty hull.
    The empty windshield hull is 1500 lbs.................

thus (1500 lbs + 2100 lbs) / (150 HP power head X .70 power loss factor due to jet) = 34 lbs/hp

which is pretty heavy............

Howdy gents
    We just got back from the (succesfull!) hunt.
    In the end I harvested one moose, and we also had a goat in there too.
    On the return, there was the 4 of us, full fuel (45 USG and maybe 10 USG extra), all our gear and food (beer!) left over, the non-deboned moose, goat and its hide etc. Whats a average moose weigh quartered up? 700 lbs?
    I figure we were ~2000lbs if the moose was 600 lbs.
    The 150 got us up on step no problem, but I needed to stay at 4600-4700 to stay on step. 5000 is max RPM. The Opti purred like a kitten (a loud kittem to be sure), and was very good on fuel. I was shocked at how little it burned, relatively speaking.
    Bottom line is the 150 is a bit light for a trip like this, it did it, but just. There is no way I would have been able to carry a second moose.
    I wonder how much more jam a 200 Yamaha hung off the back would have?
    I like the idea of losing the plywood. Maybe next spring I'll put in checker plate Aluminum.

2011 Moose Hunt 040.jpg Its amazing how much weight you can save by ditching the bench seats eh?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.