Thread: Seward

Default Seward

Just wanting a recent report on how the beach fishery is doing for Silvers. Each year they seem to arrive later and later, so I thought I'd make a post before deciding on whether or not to venture a trip. Thanks

im heading out there early tomorrow morning to hopefully get some trolling. i'll let you know how it goes.

Just got back. Tried my yak. Didn't see a soul fishing along the rocks. A few folks at millers landing. I didn't see a single jumper from Tonsina cr to Lowell Pt. Water was flat calm so you would have saw them. Hundreds of the 8 inch salmon hopping around.

I was focused on trying out new equipment but didn't touch one in 4 hours.

Fished the bay from 9am to 2 pm and caught two small 10 inch salmon lol. That was all i hooked. The water was flat and hardly any wind. There are still some cohos left but they arent worth the gas money to go there. I saw 1 jumper as i was heading in to the boat launch. Thats it for the salmon season... Time to break out the trout gear and hit the upper kenai.

Hit the tide Sunday morning over at Lowell Point. Water was completely flat, no wind. Did not see any salmon jump. Fished near the mouth of a stream for a couple of hours with marginal luck. Hooked one bright silver that spit the fly but that was it for the salt down there. However, did get into a school of pinks in the same spot and landed several nice fish, a few of which were still chrome as could be and full of sea lice (surprising, considering it is almost late September).

Retreated to the lower sections of Resurrection River instead, again with modest success. Silver fishing was only slightly better but in total saw very small numbers. Remember seeing literally hundreds of silvers in some of these places in years past but definitely not this year. Landed a couple of fresh pinks in addition to about a dozen blushed or dark ones. Spotted a few late-run sockeye coming through as well. Decent char action in a couple of locations.

If you have some time on your hands and willing to scout around a bit, it might be worth it. Bears are out in force down there.

Good luck if you decide to go.

"Bears are out in force down there."

We're headed for Seward next weekend. Are those black bears you're seeing? How many are still out? Doing some kayaking, but plan to swing a fly rod a least part of the time.

fishnhunt,

All of the bears along the Resurrection River have been of the brown kind. They seem very active at dawn and dusk and often come right up to the Seward Highway bridges. The month of September is usually a peak time for them as the side channels, sloughs, and tributaries are full of spawning salmon. Beyond Lowell Point towards Tonsina Creek, black bears are more common.

Stay safe and have fun.

I didn't realize there were brown bears in the Resurrection River area. I've always been told you wouldn't see them in the area, only blacks. I hunt black bears around the Lost Lakes trail and other areas down there, but usually see them all around Resurrection Bay.
    Thanks for the info and we'll be looking fish around Lowell Point and maybe try the river.