Thread: Finding Sheep Information

Default Finding Sheep Information

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I just got back a couple of weekends ago from a backpacking trip in the Wrangells, and after seeing tons of sheep on the trip, I've now got a major itch to get out and do some sheep hunting! I've been big into backpacking and hiking for a number of years, and am in very good shape overall, but I've never hunted big game in Alaska. It's too late in the season for me to realistically be ready for a sheep hunt this year, but my goal is to start learning and preparing now so that I'm good and ready by the time next season rolls around.

I've spent a number of hours perusing the ADFG website, looking at the regs, hunting areas, harvest statistics, etc. I've also purchased a couple of Tony Russ' books on sheep hunting.

I'm planning to get out for some scouting trips as soon as possible so I can get a feel for where sheep might typically be towards the tail end of the hunting season, but I'm somewhat at a loss as to where to start looking. I do have a 4x4 truck, but I dont have access to a boat, ATV, or airplane. However, I'm more than happy to hike like crazy to get away from roads or heavily hunted areas.

I feel like I'm rambling, but what it boils down to is that I'm looking for every available resource to help me plan my first hunt. Is there anywhere I can look that will provide me with information on where to find out what areas are most heavily hunted (i.e. where to avoid) and what areas might be good for sheep but see light hunting pressure? What should I be looking at other than the ADFG website? I'm not looking for anybody's secret honey hole, just some general info for helping me get started in the right direction.

Thanks!

-Daniel

You just finished a hike whereupon you saw lots of sheep.... Sounds like you've already answered your own question of where to go to find sheep! And presumably, given that you had the means to get there once, you could do it again. Or can you not legally hunt in the area you referred to? Unless that's an issue, you're well on your way. Many folks more qualified in matters of sheep than am I are about to chime in tho....

Welcome to the forum.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Good point, haha! We were hiking in unit 12, so it is a legal area to hunt. However, we saw several sheep hunters heading into the area on ATV's, and while we saw lots of sheep, I dont know whether there were any legal rams (no binoculars unfortunately). The area we hiked is definitely an option, but since i've got plenty of time i'm hoping to look at several areas around the state so i've got some options to consider. Maybe i'm over thinking it

-Daniel

If you show me on a topo exactly where you saw lots of sheep, I'll tell you about a really good place to go sheep hunting...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan4142 View Post
    but since i've got plenty of time i'm hoping to look at several areas around the state so i've got some options to consider.
    Sounds nice... I'm jealous

Season closes on the 20'th

You've got some expenses ahead gear wise. Get good optics, thats an essential. You have to judge a ram for legality. You need to have a reliable firearm and be well practiced with it. Learn how to break down an animal. Do spring bear. Offer to help with a bou or moose.

Your right on in regards to hunting pressure. Big Mature 9+ rams don't just grow everywhere. If you learn a place that holds a few bruisers, don't share it with anyone but your wife and very very tight friends.

Welcome to the world of hunting. It's a natural progression from backpacker to hunter. Now you get to bring something home after all the trail mix is munched down. Make sure your well versed in land access issues and ADF&G laws. Try getting a special permit for next year too.

Good luck and come back with a good rookie story to share with us all.

Thanks for the info guys. After digging around a bit more, I found a great report on the ADFG website that is full of good info on sheep populations in the different areas. I'm sure many of you have already seen it, but I'll definitely keep it in mind while looking for hunting areas.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...s/08_sheep.pdf

I agree with what the others have said, you aren't going to get any specific areas on here, nor do I think that is very important for your first hunt. I have several pieces of advice (I've been on 3 sheep hunts, 2 x ATV, 1 x Airplane...so you know my experience level.

1. As someone else said you already know where the sheep are and you can presumably access them according to your post. Go there your first season, doesn't really matter if you get one the first time you'll learn a hell of a lot on that first trip.

2. Don't spend the money on an airplane until you have a hunt or two under your belt and understand where to find sheep based on a topo map and not someones "advice" unless its a really good friend whom you trust.

3. When you do know what your doing pay the money for the airplane....I'm sure there are honeyholes with walkable access from the highway and even some reclusive ATV trails that get you to a relatively low pressure area. Good luck finding those. For all the other road accessible and ATV accesible roads there are sheep....good luck finding legal ones.

I started out blind like you went to an area with easy road access and supposedly "heavy" pressure....in two years I never saw another hunter out there, although I followed plenty of horsetracks (read....guide tracks). Talk each piece of advice with a grain of salt, and just pick an area.....you'll figure the rest out.