Thread: Building the ultimate landing net....

Default Building the ultimate landing net....

Well my fishing season is over and I have broken 460 dollars worth of landing nets. I think I may be at the point where I am going to have custom nets fabricated. The problems I see with the poorly built mass produced nets are as follows:

metal net hoop connects to handle with plastic part that tends to strip out and fail

connection for net extension is plastic and weak

thickness of tubing for both the net and the handle are so thin that unless you lift a salmon stright up vertically the tubing breaks

A few thoughts about a custom net....

there still needs to me some way for the hoop to detach from the handle to hang the net on the hoop

there is a balance between tubing strength and weight of the net

Any suggestions would be welcome. I will document the construction and costs associated with building a proper net for use in Alaska.

I'm hoping you're not unhappy with Frabill. We dumped the big bux for one last year, and after our second season with lots of kings running up to 60# it's still pristine. We netted an 80# halibut with it too just for kicks, and it swallowed it without a hitch.

I will look and see what brand the net I bought at B&J's this spring was, it seems tough as nails. It was not the most expensive one they had either, I recall one there that had all metal parts and if I was a commercial guy that is what I would have. If you end up getting one made it would be interesting to see. I bet Mikes Welding in Sterling could hook you up with something, he makes indestructible dip nets so all he would have to do is down size the boat dip net and put some different net on it. Here is his website: http://www.alaskabushsleds.com/index.html
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We have broken every type of net there is. Keep in mind we are using it to net thousnds of silvers and hundreds of kings. I will contact Mike's welding, I am sure he can build me an 8' long dip net that will be exactly what I am looking for.
    Thanks for the tip!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    We have broken every type of net there is. Keep in mind we are using it to net thousnds of silvers and hundreds of kings. I will contact Mike's welding, I am sure he can build me an 8' long dip net that will be exactly what I am looking for.
    Thanks for the tip!!
    How about a carbon fiber one? It might hold up better than aluminum. Check this out: http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Landing-Nets.htm

On second thought those probably wouldn't work too well. They all seem to have a net diameter of 16". That could make landing a big old salmon or ling an interesting proposition, though it sure would add to the thrill of the catch!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Well my fishing season is over and I have broken 460 dollars worth of landing nets. I think I may be at the point where I am going to have custom nets fabricated. The problems I see with the poorly built mass produced nets are as follows:

metal net hoop connects to handle with plastic part that tends to strip out and fail

connection for net extension is plastic and weak

thickness of tubing for both the net and the handle are so thin that unless you lift a salmon stright up vertically the tubing breaks

A few thoughts about a custom net....

there still needs to me some way for the hoop to detach from the handle to hang the net on the hoop

there is a balance between tubing strength and weight of the net

Any suggestions would be welcome. I will document the construction and costs associated with building a proper net for use in Alaska.
    just sew the bag on to the hoop, all you have to do is sew on one extra mesh. If you don't know how to do it i'd be glad to do it for ya.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks for starting this thread - and I agree with you AKCAPT - my last two new landing nets haven't lasted the whole season. Mine get a lot of use and I am not a charter operation - I just catch fish and take a lot of my friends along. The overall landing net quality for brand-name products has been going down for years. The thin-wall aluminum tubing used for the hoops is ridiculous. Maybe all we are getting here in the Juneau stores is junk, but when I am paying over $100 for a landing net I would think they would be able to withstand a season of use. I will be curious to see what your welder comes up with - I would be interested in having a custom net built. We have welding shops here that can do the job, too.

If Mikes can not build it, it can not be built. Be sure to post up some pics of the final product.

Thanks for the tip!!
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson