Thread: Shipping Moose Horns

Default Shipping Moose Horns

OK guys here's an odd one
    I need to ship some Moose Antlers to Alaksa
    They're 64" wide, and I'm told about 40" "tall" and about 22" "deep"

The Airline I'm flying on lets you ship antlers with total LxHxD of 115" and I'm almost a foot "over" Actually I think it might be more like 8" but my mom is taking these measurements.

I've thought about sawing them in half down the skull plate and epoxying them back once they're up here.

Right now they're on a panel mount which I'm thinking they're definitely going to have to come off of.

Any other suggestions?

I'm also thinking maybe the airline folks will just check them through as "antlers" and take my $100 without taking the tape to them, but who knows?

Default Good Luck

I have shipped a couple sets of sheds from here and could not find an affordable solution. Unless someone has a good method expect to pay big bucks.

Where are you shipping them from? Have you thought of having them trucked up?

A friend sent a mooose rack that was a similar size through the Packaging Store in Anchorage. They may be able to help you find someone in your area or tell you on how to ship them. I have heard others spliting the horns then having a taxidermist fix them -- I probably would not do this.

Default Shippint from Wis

looks like the airlines is a totally dead issue

I'm going to check some pack and ship places (good point on checking with one up here!!)

If that doesn't work out I may split them........the way epoxies are today I fell prettyconfident about being able to reunite them.......

Just leave 'em down there and shoot a bigger one!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Shipping moose antlers

Now THAT's a twist- shipping moose antlers TO Alaska! First time I heard of that.

Have you checked into crating them and shipping them air cargo? They will probably cube them out (dimensional weight), but it might be worth checking.

I'd call Alaska Airlines or FedEx. I think you're over the maximum size for the post office.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Pathfinder, what ever you do Don't saw them in half!!! not sure if you got the rack scored yet either. Its a pain doing an antler mount when they are seperated, those antlers are heavy and they have to be drilled and reinforced on each side if they are seperated. Unless you are doing a shoulder mount with removable antlers, which you probably don't want. As far as shipping, just go with UPS, you can even build the crate, wrap with foam, or packing. ...anyway justa thought.....K

Default UPS

Dont go to UPS unless it is your last resort, I had a set that was just two antlers no skull and they wanted around 300. The girl told me that she shipped a whole rack last fall for around 500 if I recall correctly. If you look around you might find a small time trucking outfit.

Good luck
    Last edited by whitepalm; 03-21-2007 at 02:22. Reason: additional info

Just a thought, go to EBAY and type in "moose antlers" and there are a couple of big racks and a few moose heards that these guys are selling and shipping all over.

One moose heads is 52x48x49 and it says they ship world wide. Just drop theses guys an e-mail asking how they would ship something that big, just to get some idea.

Another thought, put out an ad on Craigslist in AK and where the antlers are coming from to see if you can find anyone driving up this summer. I have had folks bring things up more than once this way. Throw in $100 to help with gas money and they are usually more than happy to throw them on their load somewhere.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....