Thread: Need holes in a stainless plate

Default Need holes in a stainless plate

Might be the wrong place but I check these boards and it is for saltwater fishing.

I have a stainless steel gimbal mount for a canon. I need it to fit a Penn mount. Basically I just need four holes drilled through it. None of my power tools are going to go through a 1/8 to 1/4 inch stainless plate.

Two questions:

1) Where can I get it done in Anchorage
    2) Is it going to cost me more than the $100 bucks for a new stainless steel mount?

Anyone with a drill press, or even a handheld Makita for that matter, and regular old HSS bits should be able to drill 1/4 inch SS plate with ease. Am I missing something?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I would just purchase the best high speed drill bit you can find.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Any machine shop can do the job, heck most people with a modicom of tools can pull it off at home, but there may be some inacuracy in drilling the holes.

I can't say how much a shop would charge, because I have no idea what the part looks like. What you need to undertand about rates at a machine shop is it's the labor to setup machine, being able to support and hold the part (many times much more difficult than you'd imagine and hence time consuming) grabbing a bit from the tool crib, drilling the part, deburring the holes. A classy joint will start the holes with a center drill to keep the holes on center, then switch out to an appropriate drill bit. Not a difficult job, but it takes time to set it up and do it right. Times money and a shop and employees cost money. I'd take a WAG of $20-50, depending on how difficult it is to hold the part, or perhaps a case of good beer

The one caveat with ss is many of the alloys are easily work hardened, so if you use a dull bit, turn the bit too fast with no lube and not enough pressure, you can make a harder n ell divot that'll take a carbide bit to go through it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Even if you go through 1 bit per hole it will be much less $$ than a machine shop. Just clamp it tight to a board and it can be done pretty easy with a hand held drill. Drill slow and use oil.

OK. Maybe it's just time to invest in the right tools.

I don't have the selection of power tools, vises, etc that most folks have. I know my limits and I let pros do almost all of my mechanical work...lol. I was told that stainless plate would be a very different animal and it might be easier to have it just done somewhere where they had everything ready to go. Drilling four holes isn't rocket science but like mentioned below, you gotta pay for the not only the job but the set up time.

Great excuse to spend some more money on fishing related stuff!! "But sweetie, I am SAVING money by buying that super nice drill with the super expensive drill bits.!"

Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    OK. Maybe it's just time to invest in the right tools.

I don't have the selection of power tools, vises, etc that most folks have. I know my limits and I let pros do almost all of my mechanical work...lol. I was told that stainless plate would be a very different animal and it might be easier to have it just done somewhere where they had everything ready to go. Drilling four holes isn't rocket science but like mentioned below, you gotta pay for the not only the job but the set up time.

Great excuse to spend some more money on fishing related stuff!! "But sweetie, I am SAVING money by buying that super nice drill with the super expensive drill bits.!"

Thanks folks!
    No, really, you don't need to get too fancy. For all intents and purposes, drilling stainless is no different than drilling other common steel. No specialty tools required.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

1. Use low RPM's for stainless.
    2. If you are drilling a hole bigger than 1/4" it might be best to drill first with about a 3/16"drill and then step up.
    3. Use some sort of oil as a lubricant. (NOT WD40)
    4. HSS drill bits should do fine.
    5. Be patient....... drilling to fast, to much feed pressure and you are just going to burn the bit or break it.
    6. IF it starts cutting good, don't change anything. Better to get the job done slowly than not at all.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Make sure you buy a bit with a pilot point (Dewalt) they cut easier ( From my experience anyway) and you can use a hand drill
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

SLOW is the key, I'm a slow learner, but slow is better than fast so if you do it yourself, set the drill to slow. I know it seems better to go fast but slow is better.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

The short answer to your original question, "where can I get these holes drilled in ANCHORAGE' I dont have. However if you'd like to take a drive to Wasilla I'll drill them for you.

As a machinist of 40 years I believe we could "get er done!" As for a price? I don't need your money, just stand still, out of my way for 5 min and you'll be headed home happy as a clam!

As to all the free advice you just got on this project. Much of it was sound, All of it was not. Enough said.

Mike, (the original "master of metal".)

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    The short answer to your original question, "where can I get these holes drilled in ANCHORAGE' I dont have. However if you'd like to take a drive to Wasilla I'll drill them for you.

As a machinist of 40 years I believe we could "get er done!" As for a price? I don't need your money, just stand still, out of my way for 5 min and you'll be headed home happy as a clam!

As to all the free advice you just got on this project. Much of it was sound, All of it was not. Enough said.

Mike, (the original "master of metal".)
    Thank you Master of Metal for your generous offer. I may take you up on it if my modifications don't work.

So here's a report of my efforts. In short...FAIL!

I bought a plug in dewalt hand drill since I needed one anyways. I bought titanium coated dewalt bits and oxide coated milwaukee bits. My first attempt I just slapped on the 5/16" titanium bit and it cut okay until it hit a hardened spot for the washers on the other side. Dead stop.

I re-read the advice on the forum and try the smaller 1/8" first with the oxide bits. They cut great for about 1/16 of an inch and then nothing. After 4 bits, I get about 3/4 of the way through the plate. I used oil as well at slow rpm's

So it can be done, but who knows what this alloy is. It seems really hard. With my level of expertise (zero) it would take me 3 or 4 drill bits per hole given my current progress. The titanium bits cut better than the oxide bits but at 5 to 8 dollars a bit, it's going to be pricey and not anywhere near as good as a pro.

I will say that it could most definitely be operator error. I recall 15 years ago, I was out riding my new 580 snowmachine in deep deep powder for the first time. My buddy driving a tundra can go anywhere. I am getting stuck every 10 ft. I say I can't do it with this heavy liquid cooled machine. He jumps on to my machine and goes EVERYWHERE. It was just a matter of experience and a delicate throttle control. So I am not anywhere near ready to blame my tools.

I need to McGyver a solution and test it first before I head down this path too far. I may need something more permanent than a gimbal mount and mounting a downrigger on the very edge of your kayak with an 8 pound weight might not be the best for stability. The only place I can put it on center is behind me which makes for awkward use. Still work in progress.

Thanks for all the advice. This forum is great. Alasgun, I will PM you if my solution doesn't work. Thank you for your very generous offer.

'Rudy,
    how about a plate/bracket made of aluminum? easier to fabricate/drill holes. DO TAKE UP Alasgun's offer, he is the master of metal and will have you in & out in minutes, plus you'll get to see and hear about all the great gear/gadgets he has made for his boat. I think they used to say "its worth the trip" on a TV commercial and thats more than true at MOMH (mater of metal headquarters)!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Rudy,

If you can, take Potbuilders advice, Alasgun knows his stuff.....way talented. If that doesn't work, PM me. I'm no machinist but we'll gittr' done here in Anchorage.

All you guys rock! MUCHO appreciated!

I opted for a semi permanent centerline mounted fix. Not sure I am liking it but will report if I use it.

I will say that I failed the measure twice cut once (or drill two extra holes in the yak) test. ARGH. But in my defense, the measurement I forgot to take was the length of my arm. I couldn't reach a bolt and place a plate on two of them because I couldn't reach it. Are you kidding me??? But fix was fairly easy and the damage minimal. Not liking the amount of play. Minimal but I can't think it's permanent.

May still need the gimbal altered for other purposes so I will keep the offers in mind. Thanks again!!!