Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berkley Gulp crabs

Default Berkley Gulp crabs

Anybody try the Berkley Gulp peeler crabs ? My brother sent me a few packs for a present. Look interesting
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Anybody try the Berkley Gulp peeler crabs ? My brother sent me a few packs for a present. Look interesting
    I haven't, but one of these days I'm going to. I open the stomach of most of the halibut I catch to see what they've been eating and I'd say about 95% have either whole crabs, or at least crab parts in them. I guess the question would be whether or not the halibut up here would go for them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I open the stomach of most of the halibut I catch to see what they've been eating and I'd say about 95% have either whole crabs, or at least crab parts in them. I guess the question would be whether or not the halibut up here would go for them.
    Not to sound stupid but....What color were they? Orange ? Reason I asked there are many colors in the Gulp collection. My brother sent me the (New Penny) color orange with black specs. Got the 4 and 2 inch kind

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Not to sound stupid but....What color were they? Orange ? Reason I asked there are many colors in the Gulp collection. My brother sent me the (New Penny) color orange with black specs. Got the 4 and 2 inch kind
    I don't know my crabs, but I'd guess they were baby dungies. They were the same color as a dungie and about 2" across. But I wouldn't be that concerned about the color since they'll be colorless at halibut fishing depths. I would think that they look and smell like a crab would be the ticket.

Roger,
    Someone a while back posted about using fake crabs and they did really well. In fact the person was looking for more in the Anchorage area if I remember correctly.
    I think they would work great.
    BK

Haven't used them in Alaska but they were deadly in Washington for perch, rockfish, and anything near jetties and other crabby places. I used a lot of them by just pinching off a chunk and sweetening crappie and small jigs for surfperch and rockfish.

The only reason I don't use them here is they don't make them big enough for what i want to use them for...mainly salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    The only reason I don't use them here is they don't make them big enough for what i want to use them for...mainly salt.
    I wouldn't let that stop you. The vast majority of crabs I pull out of halibut stomachs are only about 2" to 3" in diameter at the most.

They will work 100%. I know of a few guys every year that try to catch halibut on rubber or plastic toys. No scent is added, just visual appeal. They have caught many halibut over 100# on Godzilla, Barbie, and G.I. Joe dolls. They have also used ten inch rubber grasshopper, lobster, kingkong, preying mantis etc. toys and they ALL worked!! It was some of the funniest shat I've ever seen. The point is, they are opportunistic feeders and even if they have never seen the food item before, (ie godzilla), they will try it. Most of the crabs I've seen in halibut stomachs around Deep Cr. & Anchor are Green Shore Crabs.

http://www.wallawalla.edu/academics/...egonensis.html
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

FishGod, That's some funny stuff.

What color were they?
    Roger,

Here you go, a picture is worth a thousand words.

P7250088.jpg

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    Roger,

Here you go, a picture is worth a thousand words.

P7250088.jpg

Doug
    Nice!!! Exact same colors and size of the Gulps (New Penny) crabs. Now I just need my boat back LOL!!!! He said Monday. Hopefully get a few days out in the sound before I have to winterize it

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Haven't used them in Alaska but they were deadly in Washington for perch, rockfish, and anything near jetties and other crabby places. I used a lot of them by just pinching off a chunk and sweetening crappie and small jigs for surfperch and rockfish.

I miss surf perch. Is there any in Alaska? Being from Oregon we used to catch them all the time
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

the crabs in the pic are not dungies, baby dungies look like big dungies. all my books are at the office, but iirc those are "black-tipped rock crabs" or something similar...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    I miss surf perch. Is there any in Alaska?
    not up here, maybe in SE... like i said, my books are at the office....

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I wouldn't let that stop you. The vast majority of crabs I pull out of halibut stomachs are only about 2" to 3" in diameter at the most.
    I agree that they will work. I think my issue is I think they are too small in the sense that anything alive on the bottom would hit them. It' be like fishing for halibut with a half a green label herring. it's going to work...if you can get it by the irish lords, cod, flounder, greenling, etc. Cook Inlet seems to be the only place I can decently isolate myself to halibut. Everywhere else, if I am not using larger baits, I seem to spend all day removing the other species.

I also wonder how big a hook you can put into one. They looked small on one oz jig heads. Maybe a small circle hook and fish it just like bait.

I was thinking more like this for a crab imitation..... the only problem is it does create a bit of a drag. 16 oz jig head but fishes like a 32 oz jighead.... a few whacks, nothing big enuf to take it completely yet!

you know, halibut are so freakin' stupid it cracks me up to see people trying to "outsmart" them.
    the same fish that hits your carefully presented gulp crab or $20 "special" jig rigged on flourocarbon line is just as happy to grab a skanky freezer burned herring on a 16/0 circle hook with a parachute cord "leader".
    keeps the tackle manufacturers in business though....

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    you know, halibut are so freakin' stupid it cracks me up to see people trying to "outsmart" them.
    the same fish that hits your carefully presented gulp crab or $20 "special" jig rigged on flourocarbon line is just as happy to grab a skanky freezer burned herring on a 16/0 circle hook with a parachute cord "leader".
    What's the fun in that?!?!?! lol. Maybe that is the trick! Rather than outsmart them, maybe we need to find the dumbest or at least most aggressive fish. Use thick rope and see if it keeps the "Line shy" P-Cod away...then again, P-cod don't seem too smart either.

For me it's fun. But also, herring is just too dang good of a bait. It catches EVERYTHING. Though it's likely not the case, it's interesting to me to see if you can't find something that will more selectively catch what you are targeting.

For where I fish (which is not where most fish) and from my direct experience, bottom fishing with herring is ineffective and not the most efficient use of my time so far. Not because it doesn't catch enough fish. It catches too many of everything and even if you don't get hit, it seems like I am replacing my baits every 10 minutes due to sand fleas and other small critters just mutilating the bait.

If I use herring, I seem to catch more fish but not the fish I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    I agree with you to a point there Dave, but I've had days when I'd put herring on one hook, squid on another, octo on a third and salmon carcass on the fourth and I can't tell you the number of days I had out there last year where one bait would produce 95% better than the other 3. And then I've had days where I'd put bait on all my clients' hooks and I'd drop a Boneyard curly tail down there and I'd be picking up fish every 5 minutes while the bait was only being moderately productive. And, of course, there are always the days when you can drop anything you could find in your boat down there and catch something. They certainly are freakin' stupid, but fickle.

When I tried the "fake" crabs, all I did was soak 'em. No hits, zero, zilch. I have caught a lot of fish on plastic bodies on jig heads, and metal lures though. Caught a little over 150 lb halibut this summer on purple boby with a white 24 oz head- no teaser added.

I think I'll stick to stuff that's worked for me or the boat capton from now now.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    When I tried the "fake" crabs, all I did was soak 'em. No hits, zero, zilch. I have caught a lot of fish on plastic bodies on jig heads, and metal lures though. Caught a little over 150 lb halibut this summer on purple boby with a white 24 oz head- no teaser added.

I think I'll stick to stuff that's worked for me or the boat capton from now now.

Chris
    Like I said. Don't be afraid to experiment. When I have clients on board I'll try a little bit of everything I've got and whatever gets the first fish is what I'll switch everyone else to. Some days it's one thing and other days something else. And some days it just doesn't seem to matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast