Thread: Eklutna Lake anyone hunt it.

Default Eklutna Lake anyone hunt it.

Hi everyone.

I am new to Bow hunting and I get the Eklutna Lake registration hunt for moose. I just wanted to know if anyone has hunted the area and if they could tell me anything about it the best way to hunt the area, are people successful, or good advice.

Thanks.

People are successful, but at a fairly low rate. If I recall, the average quota in there is 4 moose, and despite people being out there every day, it usually takes weeks to fill that quota if it gets filled at all. The moose densities are surprisingly low around the lake (not great browse and lots of bears) and almost the entire valley leading up to the lake is private property. Still, it can't hurt to try. Take along a black bear tag and some small game arrowheads and you should have a great time. For what it's worth, I've only hunted up there twice and both times called in other hunters. I'd head as far afield as possible.

I've hunted it and had the same success as Brian above stated. (Although it is fun to call in other hunters and then scoot quietly out of there.) Had a friend whack one two years ago so they are there but not in numbers. Seems there were more hunters than moose every time I went.
    BK

That really sucks to hear, but I will give it a try, there is only one way to get a moose and that is to get out and try.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Seems there were more hunters than moose every time I went.
    BK
    You just described all of South Central AK!!!!

Moose hunting is not what it used to be.

Small game hunting is the way to go at Eklutna. Bring the flu-flu arrows and/or small game tips. Snowshoe hares are abundant, and grouse are fairly plentiful. There are decent numbers of black bear along the North East section of the lake... a few brown bear seem to inhabit the southern borders of the lake. The moose, are scarce. But, it is nice to get out.

I just got done doing this hunt and all I can say is thank goodness it goes until late OCT because I am not giving up. I spent a week up there and didn't see a dang thing. I think I had a moose come into camp at about 0400 on a Friday morning but never got a glimpse of it, only heard it snort. I called for 4 days and got nothing. In the words of General McArthur " I will return"
    Diamond Marquis

I have plans to go up there this weekend and try to get to the back of the lake and just see what happens. my be i will get lucky