Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Sightron optics anybody own one? Putting together a mountain rifle.

  1. #1
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default Sightron optics anybody own one? Putting together a mountain rifle.

    This winter I plan to put together a lightweight mountain rifle with a fixed 6x scope and have heard nothing but good things about Sightron.

    Before I decide on this model, I figured I'd find out what others had to say about it.

    My henry 22 magnum is 5.5 lbs and is horrible to shoot offhand due to the lightweight. It doesn't settle down in the offhand position which is my bread n butter shooting position. Because of this experience with this rifle, I'd never own a dmn sheep/goat rifle that is that light like others who go this route. A 6 lb. model 94......great off hand. A 6.5 lb Browning lever rifle......even better.

    Here's the rifle I'm going to put together and a fixed 6x is a definite.

    Browning Lever Rifle chambered for 358 Winchester (6.5lbs)

    Talley lightweight rings (3 0z)

    Sightron fixed 6 (12 0z)

    225 grain Nosler Accubond fullpower handload handload (2550 fps-2650 fps). I just received my chonograph so load development will start after the end of moose season.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    I think they are an inferior product at their price point.

  3. #3
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Leupy 6x36 is only 10oz.

    I think they are an inferior product at their price point.
    Which ones. Like everyone else, Sightron has several models. I've only used the ones in the $200 pricepoint and they were pretty even with every other $200 scope I have used.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  4. #4
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    I'm guessing ~90% of sheep/goat shots are from some variation of the seated or prone position. I don't know anyone that has ever taken a standing off hand shot at a sheep. Just something to think about. I know it can be done, but operating a lever from prone isn't ideal.

  5. #5
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Mainer- I believe it would be fine, all of the examples of Sightron I've seen looked pretty good and their owners seemed to like 'em fine...I'd put them on par with the Burris 6x (which seems hard to find lately).

    About $75 more than the (now) el-cheapo Weaver K6 and worth every cent of that in my book.

    A bit cheaper than the 6x36 FII Leupold, quite a bit cheaper than the 6x42 FIII Leupold and certainly lots cheaper than the Schmidt and Bender 6x42...which sort of sadly describes the entire world of fixed 6x scopes commonly produced today. No experience with IOR Valdada but they're three times the price.

    If it were mine I'd spend another $50 and get the FII Leupold- I've had/have several and they gave really excellent service- but the Sightron is probably quite sufficient.

  6. #6
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    I'm curious why your using a lever gun for a mountain rifle?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  7. #7
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    You sure know how to poke the hornets nest
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'm curious why your using a lever gun for a mountain rifle?
    I grew up with a model 94 in my younger years and later bought a 358 BLR because it was such a similar feel to what I was used to. It was a toss up between a model 70 featherweight compact, or a BLR both weighing 6.5lbs. Since the 358 is my caliber of choice (always was) I knew that the model 70 would have to go to JES reboring for a little work. The compact also had no open sights and would have to be fitted with em as no rifle I own is without open sights. The BLR has both open sights, and is still chambered for 358. I like to be different I guess, not a single person I know of takes to the mountains with a Lever gun.

  10. #10
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Its really amazing how hard it is to find a new production rifle with sights isn't it? It would be nice to have one you could remove the sights and slip them into a cavity in the buttstock for back-up IMO....
    Saw a very nice Ruger 77R 358 with tang safety on Gunbroker I think for about $500 a couple days ago...Pretty sweet.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  11. #11
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I'm guessing ~90% of sheep/goat shots are from some variation of the seated or prone position. I don't know anyone that has ever taken a standing off hand shot at a sheep. Just something to think about. I know it can be done, but operating a lever from prone isn't ideal.
    Almost every sheep/goat hunter that replied to my thread on the hunting forum has taken an offhand shot at a sheep or goat.
    "Just something to think about".

  12. #12
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Can't say I've direct experience with the 6X model, but I had a 3-9X42 SII that I used for awhile. It was overpriced IMO. I gave it to a guy that shoots very little and kills quite a lot. He's perfectly happy with the Sightron and it serves him well, but I'll not throw anymore money their way. IMO & E there are better, in fact much better options. Obviously YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  13. #13
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Almost every sheep/goat hunter that replied to my thread on the hunting forum has taken an offhand shot at a sheep or goat.
    "Just something to think about".
    I count 46 prone/seated/supported/mix first shots on sheep and goats and 5 off hand in your thread. I'd call that pretty close to 90% for a WAG. Some that took off hand then mentioned that prone was the preferred position. There's a good reason you don't know anybody using a lever for a mountain gun and it ain't because nobody thought of it yet. Do what you want, but levers would never be my first choice for a sheep gun. I do think you are barking up the right tree looking at a fixed, lightweight 6x though, I'd just put it on a nice, light flat shooting bolt action.

  14. #14
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    I just looked through a year old 3x9 sightron and the looked through a 20 year old 3x9 leupold. The sightron isn't in the same league sorry keep barking I'm sure you'll be selling lots canoes with your great salemanship. If the customer doesn't agree just lose your mind on them they'll buy. <rolls eyes>


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  15. #15
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I count 46 prone/seated/supported/mix first shots on sheep and goats and 5 off hand in your thread. I'd call that pretty close to 90&#37; for a WAG. Some that took off hand then mentioned that prone was the preferred position. There's a good reason you don't know anybody using a lever for a mountain gun and it ain't because nobody thought of it yet. Do what you want, but levers would never be my first choice for a sheep gun. I do think you are barking up the right tree looking at a fixed, lightweight 6x though, I'd just put it on a nice, light flat shooting bolt action.
    Been shooting levers prown all my life and donít loose sight picture any more than I do with a bolt gun. In the field there is usually enough room under the gun to cycle the lever and even if there isnĎt itís not any harder to tip it over as you cycle than to move your head and arm to stroke a bolt.

    The reason most use bolts is because most think they are more accurate rifles so thatís what they go with. It is true most bolts are more accurate than most levers and autos but only because most levers are beat up old 30/30s and most autos are old surplus AKs. A good BLR or model 88 will do just as well as any bolt in a like caliber though and be just fine as a mountain gun . . . donít need to be a one size fits all world.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default new production rifle with iron sights packed within...

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Its really amazing how hard it is to find a new production rifle with sights isn't it? It would be nice to have one you could remove the sights and slip them into a cavity in the buttstock for back-up IMO....
    That's funny that you say that.

    Mainer put me onto (via this forum) my latest and quite greatest rifle, a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in the .338 RCM caliber, and it DID come with some nice iron sights, and I DID put ("permanently" duct-taped) the front sight into a buttstock pouch in case I lose my scope in a fall.

    Finest rifle I've ever owned.... or even shot, for that matter. Nice, flat shooting, hard hitting round. Doesn't kick too bad, since Hornady and Ruger worked together to invent it just a couple of years ago, specifically to use a shorter barrel (yet shoot straight repeatedly) using less powder than any other .338.

    After I tested it on a caribou this year, back in camp each of us shot it. I set out a 16 oz. (plastic) bottled water, and mainer hit it first shot; it blew a hole into the ground about 5 inches diameter; a hole I could stick my fist into. That's some power, there. Yet the entry wound on the caribou was small, as was the exit wound, and he fell where he stood - he didn't even hear it coming.

  17. #17
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I personally wouldn't pick a lever for a mountain rifle but I don't see any particular reason not to. I do very much like FM's 338 RCM carbine he mentioned, I've heard these short tubed Rugers shoot really well...eventually the fever will strike while I have a little money. I got a left handed kid and in a couple years the lefty version would make him a great rifle.

    Back to the mountain rifle thing- the only reason I wouldn't use a lever is that most of them I have come with uniformly inferior triggers but a modern BLR with scope and a decent trigger shooting HV spitzer ammunition is not really at any significant disadvantage....even with a Sightron scope

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WASHINGTON, UTAH
    Posts
    46

    Talking SIGHTRON Scopes

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I grew up with a model 94 in my younger years and later bought a 358 BLR because it was such a similar feel to what I was used to. It was a toss up between a model 70 featherweight compact, or a BLR both weighing 6.5lbs. Since the 358 is my caliber of choice (always was) I knew that the model 70 would have to go to JES reboring for a little work. The compact also had no open sights and would have to be fitted with em as no rifle I own is without open sights. The BLR has both open sights, and is still chambered for 358. I like to be different I guess,
    not a single person I know of takes to the mountains with a Lever gun.
    Have a sightron on the ruger 358 win. have a chance to upgrade here soon,and yes it will be a sightron.
    Impressed with there waranty,service,and clarity looking thru the scope.
    Will never talk a person out from buying a sightron.


    bye,4 now, Coutro

  19. #19
    Member BrentC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    318

    Default

    I've had a few sightrons. IMO their higher end scopes (SIII) are extremely hard to beat. They are a fantastic scope! I'd take one over any Leupold in the same price range. The warranty is unbeatable, and the optics are supreme. The SI is trash. The SII is slightly better than the SI, but it does have better features in the mechanical function.

    If you want more information about the SIII, go to longrangehunting.com and do a search for Sightron. You'll see.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I grew up with a model 94 in my younger years and later bought a 358 BLR because it was such a similar feel to what I was used to. It was a toss up between a model 70 featherweight compact, or a BLR both weighing 6.5lbs. Since the 358 is my caliber of choice (always was) I knew that the model 70 would have to go to JES reboring for a little work. The compact also had no open sights and would have to be fitted with em as no rifle I own is without open sights. The BLR has both open sights, and is still chambered for 358. I like to be different I guess, not a single person I know of takes to the mountains with a Lever gun.
    Just out of curiosity, are you going to try and load the 225gr Accubond in a BLR 358Win? If I have assumed correctly I thought you might like to know that it won't work in the BLR, the 225gr Accubond is to long for it. Now if you are talking a Ruger Hawkeye, then yes it will work. Just wondering.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •