Thread: Kodiak Bear hunting

Default Kodiak Bear hunting

A quick question to people who have hunted bears on Kodiak in the past. After looking over hunt results for both res and non-res it looks like most hunt areas are only about 50 to 66% success rate. Is the success rate based on: A. Not seeing any bears. B. Seeing bears, but nothing big enough? C. Too hard of a hunt. D. Bad weather? Just wondering as I have hunted deer on Kodiak but this will be my first bear hunt. I have seen harvestable bears on my trips and just wondering why if you didn't harvest a bear the reason? Thanks for the info. Akdaniels

The weather, terrain, and any number of unforseeable circumstances play a big role.

I am in the process of trying to fill a goat tag....as I sip my coffee and type this from my recliner. It is pouring rain outside for about the fourth straight day. I have two weeks off for my hunt which is a hike in not three miles fom my house, DG471. I have the odds in my favor being a resident, but right now my plan is shot, my day will be spent drinking coffee and working in the shop.

The planets have to align for everything to work out as planned up here. In the past ten years I have had three schedules fall apart, and this is the second time that the weather has kept me off the mountains, luckily I can just reschedule, and go next week. But my out of state hunting partner will be out of luck.

Draw a hard to get tag, get flights when you are available and the airline has them, hunting partners vacation time, your vacation time, the weather, hunting partner prepped for two weeks to conquer the mountains, hunting partners blisters have blisters, man the list goes on and on. Add to this laundry list of things that can go wrong the fact that bears are pretty good at being bears, which is where those success numbers for past seasons come in.

Are the sucess percentages based on people that actually hunted or on those who drew the tag.
    I'm sure that most that draw a Kodiak bear tag do attempt to make the hunt, but I'm also sure that the sucess percentages could be screwed up by folks drawing a tag & then not getting out.
    As stated above, weather plays a BIG part of any Kodiak hunt. Schedule as much time as you can for hunting - I'd try to allow 2 weeks minimum, air taxi delays & days spent in the tent due to wind & rain could easily shorten a 7 day hunt to 0 days afield.

Bears act totally different in areas that they get hunted IMHO, they seem to know what you are thinking...

But, being there on the first day after a big blow... PRICELESS!!!

Plan for as much time as you can get and hunt until you get what you are after, be that success or desire for warmth and comfort.

Easier to ask for forgiveness than to seek permission!!!! Tried to get back weather just was too bad... sorry Boss, wife, whatever......

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't think his BOSS would be too impressed by an excuse of "sorry got weathered in"..

I spent 18 days on kodiak in fall of 07 , It rained 15 of those days Finally harvested a bear on day 15 never give up
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

Oh, Hey Boss. Didn't think you were on today. Thankfully still have a full week on the end of my hunt just for that problem. Hoping for sunny, windless days! Thanks for the responses everyone. Akdaniels

Good advice. That sounds like it was one heck of an 18 days.

I'm guessing the odds are skewed by many hunters drawing tags and not even going. There are probably more than you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by akdaniels View Post
    A quick question to people who have hunted bears on Kodiak in the past. After looking over hunt results for both res and non-res it looks like most hunt areas are only about 50 to 66% success rate. Is the success rate based on: A. Not seeing any bears. B. Seeing bears, but nothing big enough? C. Too hard of a hunt. D. Bad weather? Just wondering as I have hunted deer on Kodiak but this will be my first bear hunt. I have seen harvestable bears on my trips and just wondering why if you didn't harvest a bear the reason? Thanks for the info. Akdaniels

All the above and you can add being distracted by all those tasty Blacktails running around, land use fees, flaky partners, and life getting in the way. Also, never having hunted an area before, usually takes me a few days figuring out where NOT to hunt in a new area. Many folks get dog tired after a few days, because they can't sleep at night for fear of the bears.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I went with a hunting partner who had a goat and bear tag in the same area. We had a few days on the front end to chase goats and a few days to chase bears. This proved, in my opinion, to be a tall order to accomplish on Kodiak given the weather constraints we experience. And as stid pointed out, those tasty blacktails captured our attention a few days. But still, it was an amazing trip and can't wait until the next chance I have to get back to that island!