Thread: Polaris stalls when wet

Default Polaris stalls when wet

I just bought a 07 polaris 500 and took it for its first test ride tonight. I took it to Jims creek, and tried to cross some water which was not very deep ( just above the floorboards) and it stalled out. It seemed like it was electrical the way it was cutting out. Once it dried out, it ran fine again. Any suggestions as to what I should start looking for that may cause it to stall like that? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    I just bought a 07 polaris 500 and took it for its first test ride tonight. I took it to Jims creek, and tried to cross some water which was not very deep ( just above the floorboards) and it stalled out. It seemed like it was electrical the way it was cutting out. Once it dried out, it ran fine again. Any suggestions as to what I should start looking for that may cause it to stall like that? Thanks!
    A very respected Inupiat elder from up north told me of this issue he had. He won't run a Polaris. Keep in mind, boat, dogs, and atv are his main mode of transportation.

The first step in troubleshooting that should be the rubber plug boot and wire. If the rubber boot is wore out at all, it can cause the plug to get wet and stall, if the wire has even a hairline pinhole in it, the quad will loose spark.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    The first step in troubleshooting that should be the rubber plug boot and wire. If the rubber boot is wore out at all, it can cause the plug to get wet and stall, if the wire has even a hairline pinhole in it, the quad will loose spark.
    I didnt think of that, thanks! Also what bothered me was that the starter was disabled too. That is what really bothered me, cause it would pull start fine and idle, but as soon as you gave it some gas it would stumble for about 10 minutes. I am guessing whatever was wet dried out as the engine got hotter. Ill be looking for the culprit tonight when I get home from work. I have never owned an EFI toy (sled, motorcycle boat) and this is the first 4 wheeler I have owned, I have ridden a few, but this one is mine. Are there any other recurring issues or advice out there for a new polaris owner?

Not trying to turn this thread into a brand bashing party.........

I have a lot of electrical problems. Granted they were my fault (I crossed a river with the pull starter plug not seated!). My advice: Grease all of your electrical connections and keep spare fuses...

Start your machine in the driveway. Pour/spray water until it dies. Dielectric grease or repair the damaged connector.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    A very respected Inupiat elder from up north told me of this issue he had. He won't run a Polaris. Keep in mind, boat, dogs, and atv are his main mode of transportation.
    And this helps the original poster how? I understand that the 90s era Polaris machines didn't like water. I am on my 4th Polaris and never had a problem. I liked my Hondas, but they don't have near the ride or performance for the same dollar.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Start your machine in the driveway. Pour/spray water until it dies. Dielectric grease or repair the damaged connector.
    Brilliant! I'm gonna try it in the morning!

We have seen this in the past. The connection for the stator behind the recoil is getting water in it. There is two plugs do them both. Unplug it, blow it out / dry it, and use some dielectric grease on the conection and the rubber seal.

I went ahead and put die electric grease on every connection and it did the trick. I found a deep spot last night and had water over the front rack and no issues. Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    I didnt think of that, thanks! Also what bothered me was that the starter was disabled too. That is what really bothered me, cause it would pull start fine and idle, but as soon as you gave it some gas it would stumble for about 10 minutes. I am guessing whatever was wet dried out as the engine got hotter. Ill be looking for the culprit tonight when I get home from work. I have never owned an EFI toy (sled, motorcycle boat) and this is the first 4 wheeler I have owned, I have ridden a few, but this one is mine. Are there any other recurring issues or advice out there for a new polaris owner?

Not trying to turn this thread into a brand bashing party.........
    I may be reading into your post wrong, but do you know if your machine is carb's or fuel injected?

As far as I know if its a polaris with a pull start then its carb'd. Their four fourwheelers with EFI require 12 volts to pressurize the fuel system dead battery no 12 volts so no sense having a pull start

It is EFI. I found the problem, it was one of the connections getting wet. Even when it cut out, I still had power to the dash and could pull start it. The battery is new and has plenty of power. I have been having SO much fun and my wife and son had also had such a good time that I just bought a second four wheeler. I picked up a CHERRY 99 Arctic Cat 500- 1200 miles, runs like a champ and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! I am having a blast!

Thumbs up EFI means no (working) pull start?

So does anyone have a 4 wheeler with a TOTALLY dead battery and EFI and a pull start, and the pull start works?

Heck, if I had a pull start on my grizzly 700 with EFI, I'd pull the battery from it and find out myself.

So far, looks like a great call, rdrash.

My 800 does not have a pull start to try it out. When I turn the key on I can here the pump pressurize the system.

It has been reliable enough for me, last winter it was still starting at lake louise with the temps down to -24. Putting it on the back of the moose buggy and hauling it all the way into the black river gave me concern about a dead battery but then I realize with two in the buggy and a generator lack of juice is not a real concern.

Oh and if anyone was concerned with leaving there key in the on position and it draining the battery, just stop using your kill switch and use the key to turn it on and off.