Thread: Porky Skull

Default Porky Skull

Not really a trophy, but I found a fully intact porcupine skull and wanted to clean it up for my son. I'm afraid if I boil it that it may start to fall apart (maybe not). Would like to have the white bleached look when finished. Anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks for the help.

Unless you contact the guy that has the bettle colony and let him (them) clean it, boiling is just about the only way to go. After you get all the meat, connective tissue, etc off the skull, you can bleach it with hydrozine peroxide. You can use over the counter stuff, it just takes awhile. Then wash thoroughly and seal.

Look back or use the search function is this section,this process has been described multiple times for goats, moose, bear and others. Basically it is a 3 step process, remove meat, de-grease and then whiten. Once it is white and grease free then seal if desired. Beetles don't get the grease out, only does step one.

You can but it in a bucket of water and let it macerate off. I have used a 5 gallon bucket filled it with water added a beer to help speed up the bacteria growth(not sure if this works or not)put the lid on a checked it a month later. The meat and all tissue had fallen right off but boy did that water smell! Rinse it off real good then soak in a container of water and liquid dishwashing soap to degrease it. Keep changing it out as the water gets cloudy from the oil leaching out, once the water is no longer turning cloudy it should be degreased then soak it in the hydrogen peroxide. Either store bought or the higher strength stuff from a beauty supply place like Maries.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    You can but it in a bucket of water and let it macerate off. I have used a 5 gallon bucket filled it with water added a beer to help speed up the bacteria growth(not sure if this works or not)put the lid on a checked it a month later. The meat and all tissue had fallen right off but boy did that water smell! Rinse it off real good then soak in a container of water and liquid dishwashing soap to degrease it. Keep changing it out as the water gets cloudy from the oil leaching out, once the water is no longer turning cloudy it should be degreased then soak it in the hydrogen peroxide. Either store bought or the higher strength stuff from a beauty supply place like Maries.
    Exactly what he said,, resist the urge to do it the quick way and boil it. I have not done a Porkey, but other similar sized animals have had very delicate skulls. If boiled or handled rough they will fall apart.

After you do has Buddy said. Mix some Elmer's glue with enough water to thin it to a thick paint and use multiple coats to both seal and bond the bones.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for all the ideas , that's great.

The teeth are really neat looking,like a beaver I guess, they just keep growing out as they use them up.

It had a bunch of maggots on it when I found it, so I left them on to eat the rest of the flesh, but its taking along time. So I'll go to the next level.

Scott

Here are a couple of pic's of the completed Porky.Attachment 69500Attachment 69499

Scott

pics won't come up.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!