Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soldiers View on a Strange Hunting Season

Default Soldiers View on a Strange Hunting Season

To start this off I want to first say that I try to respect those that establish camps and try to figure out where I can fit in by talking to those that have camps out there. I believe all public hunting lands are for all of us to share and no matter what its not that serious.

Now the story. Myself and 2 other friends are heading into an area that I have done some scouting and hunting in for the last 10 years on and also talked to the old timers that have hunted the area for 40 years. When we got to the first old timers camp which was right on the trail, we checked in asked and chatted for a few and let him know where we were gonna set up. Of course he wasnt happy, but he asked us to set up so those running the main trail wont see us and we took the advise and followed it. As we were taking off I asked if he has seen anything and he stated no, then restated and said he had been watching a moose. I asked where and he wouldnt answer. From his advantage point he can see for miles in every direction. He acted like we wouldnt see it anyways and didnt trust us. So we took off and headed towards the ridge we planned to camp on. About a mile and a half from the old timers advantage point we jumped a bull. I tried to flag him down since from his advantage point I know he could see us. We got no reply. So I made the decision to put one of my partners on it. He was the first shooter. The moose was about 800 yards from us, about 400 yards from any trail. My partners put a stalk on him and got the bull. During the stalk the old timer come flying down the hill on his wheeler and pulled up by me and I pointed to the moose and he stated I know, I know and took off. I told him my partners were going at him from the bottom. The old timer tried to make enough noise to spook the moose. Once we got the moose cut up and continued on out to our camp. There is another camp hunting the back side of the ridge I plan to hunt, we stopped in and let him know we were out there. I met him the year before and he knew we were coming this year. Over the next couple days I worked my way out to my truck to pick up some more gear and stopped at a friend of mines camp whom happens to be friends with the first old timer and told me that If I plan to set any type of cache up for the next moose season next summer that I would probably find it burned. Later that same day I met a younger hunter that was hunting with the second old timer and he stated the same thing that we were not welcome to hunt out there. I am confused, I have been deployed to Iraq a couple times, get shot at, mortard and blown up on the roads in a foreign country, and when I come home to hunt with some friends I get this kind of garbage from people that think they are entitled because they have been there for fourty years on public land. I tried everything in my power to coexist and enjoy the outdoors. For one thing I am usually a hot head and am all for confrontation, but this time I relayed back to my mutual friend that I am here to stay and that if they continue to harass and try to intimidate I will get the troopers involved. I dont take threats kindly and would definately fight fire with fire if I had to. All I want to do is coexist and enjoy the outdoors. One of the hunters that went with me is a moderator on this forum and he may have some for to add. Im not sure where I went wrong. Overall the hunt with my friends was a blast, he harvested a decent moose and had a great time. Is it really that serious?
    Last edited by stid2677; 09-14-2011 at 20:46.

First of all, THANK YOU for your service to our country. Sounds like stuff I get from people I would like to hunt with. "we dont let anyone come with us because we dont want anymore people hunting there" I really just wanted to help out and learn from these peeps not steal there spot. I can moose hunt less than 6 miles from my door and I do, but I thought it would be good to learn some things from the "older" generation. Hunt where you want, if your stuff gets burned or disappears at least you already have some suspects to give to the troopers. I've never really understood the "this is my area" beef. Yes 40+ years ago there werent as many hunters, but that doesnt mean the area is yours.

The old timer should have been up front with you. If he had a bull staked out why wasn't he hunting it? There is no reason for you to bring up your service to our country. It makes you think you are entilted just like the "old timer" ( Who may be a Vet too) thinks he is entitled. Let it go and enjoy the hunt.
    You may have been knowingly encroaching (and chose to set up camp) on his area and thought you did your do dilligece by attempting to contact him but this is a big state and even so we are running out of room day by day.

i

It sounds like you guys will meet again. Be nice and welcome them or move. That is all you can do.

Probably half of this state is vets from Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Korea and probably a couple left that fought on the shores of Europe, Japan and maybe even our own Aleutian islands. I have pride in my own service but I don't want special treatment, free tags or special considerations in the field based on it.

Over the past 10 years of hunting out there I have watched both of these camps and they hunt them off the trails. Their very patient and I commend that. They dont go into the bottoms after them because of their both older men. I spoke to them both last year about me hunting the bottom and they both agreed that they dont go after moose in the bottoms, They hunt them in the saddles. I never said anything to either one of them about my experiences during my deployments and never referenced that in discussions with their lackies they sent to warn me. The one mutual friend is well aware of my experiences and know that I never pull that card. I was only stating that i cant believe the entitled feeling some have. My camp area is 5 miles straight line distance from the first old time. His advantage point can see for 15 to twenty miles in every direction and he stated last year that he hunts all the valleys. Our mutual friend stated to me that he has been doing to this for the 15 years hes known him and no one has stood up to him, the rest have just moved on. There are lots of moose in there and plenty of space for us to coexist. I appreciate your reply, and according to my friend either one are vets. They came up to AK during the late 60s and worked construction. Believe me this area is no secret. Camps are on top of camps, they just block off one ridge that stretched for 15 and a half miles with multiple drainages that they can only see one side of. Plenty of room for others to enjoy the outdoors. The second old time stated they had a good run. Plus I wasnt the only new blood in the ridge this year. There was another group that didnt even stop and talk to them, they just went in and set up. Im sure I getting some of the wrath from that also. Oh well, I plan to go again next year, but I wont stop and beg or drop off MRE's that I have left from training events to enjoy our public lands.

I never asked for special treatment. I dont feel that Im entitled, just want to enjoy the outdoors with friends and family. I never thought I would be threatened here at home over public lands and hunting. Most hunters I have met enjoy sharing resources as I do.

Be gracious, and treat him as you would like to to be treated. Enjoy the hunt.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

"I am confused"

Dont be, Friend!

You have (I'm very sure) met Fornicating Donkeyholes before, you will again, and you have described a fine shining example.

However, you done good!!! seems to me that you beat the armchair Hunter by actually being a Hunter.
    If he was actively hunting, lost sight of 'em, he should have told you his plan, and the turd would be you if he had described it and then you guys specifically went to where his plan to hunt was, found it knowing he was hunting it (he was old,right?, I give any Elder the respect of first strike) , then shooting it,...that would be wrong......to me.......... but he said no such plan nor intent, so who could know, ya know?

Golden Rule of Hunting is, it aint "Yours" till its shot and dead by YOU.

Hunt with respect for others is pretty basic.

Post some pix, tell the story and get the best revenge in this and most cases of such retardation, is to Forget those pieces of scat entirely and be Happy
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Two answers:

Quote Originally Posted by 350SuperDuty View Post
    All I want to do is coexist and enjoy the outdoors. ...Im not sure where I went wrong. Overall the hunt with my friends was a blast, he harvested a decent moose and had a great time. Is it really that serious?
    1) This land is YOUR land.

2) Listen to forum member stranger; he is so right (at least this time, anyway ;-).

350 it sounds like you definetly tried to do all the right things and sorry it still turned a bit sour.
    We all fight change and the older one gets the more we seem to fight it - these old boys are loosing there little private "honey hole" area and it stings some - they are not neccesarily mad at any single person - just progress that has more and more hunters in their "area".
    Everytime I see someone near me when hunting I have to breathe deep and remember they are looking for what I am - peace, time with nature, getting away from stress, and hopefully bag some game. Change is just part of life... Hopefully these 2 chaps will remember the 30 some odd years they had it all to themselves with great memories - nothing lasts forever...
    If it bothers you too much then perhaps explore a different place - however you'll likely run into a similar scenario eventually - thats life. Good luck and congrats on a successful hunt!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The funny thing is... I bet if you had a conversation with those old guys in that area you would find out they were vets of the armed forces also
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I bet you missed more than a couple of hunting seasons while deployed to the arm pit of the world. God bless you for your service and dedication to our country. Sorry a few bad apples soured your otherwise awesome experience. I missed a few seasons myself while ensuring these "Old timers" could continue to hord thier Honey hole. It is time to share the wealth, nobody wants to steal anything. As Stranger said "post some pix and let us see and hear the details.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The funny thing is... I bet if you had a conversation with those old guys in that area you would find out they were vets of the armed forces also
    Either one of them are. Both of them came up here in the late 70s and worked construction. Im going to continue to hunt the area and do my best not to step on their toes, Im just not going to be intimidated out there anymore. Over the last 10 years I have met lots of hunters out there that have been straight forward on what there intentions are, they would tell me where they hunt and I moved on. I did the same the end of last season with both these gentlemen and thought we worked it out. I set my camp up where I couldnt be seen as they directed, walked everywhere instead of running my wheeler, usually a couple miles in either direction in the drainage we hunted, which they didnt do, except for the one drainage right off the trail the last evening we were in there, then we ran with out headlight back to camp to not give away our location. Once they realized I was hunting in that area they imposed a bunch of rules on how I am to hunt the area I was hunting, which I did my best to comply with. Im gonna keep on driving on and eventually they will get over it or give up.

LOL...late 70's...pipeline trash ( <---it's a joke people..)Hell, I've been up here that long and I'm only 42. I'd do exactly what you are doing and not worry about it.

I was with these guys, the reference to being vets was this..... People make threats all the time that they don't really mean. However, guys just coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan are accustomed to people threatening them during the day and coming back at night to cause harm. Just saying, that making threats of arson and personal harm can be taken differently by different groups of folks.

I as a Vet feel no sense of entitlement, however if there is to be gunplay, being a Vet has prepared me for that event and if absolutely necessary I will not hesitate to defend myself and my friends.

These older Gents sit on a high spot and wait until the moose walk near a trail and then they ride down and kill them. They are not accustomed to people who are willing to go after moose. If that Gent would have said he was waiting for that bull to get near the trail, we would have kept on riding. However, he did not say anything other than he has seen a few.

IMHO, the days of having miles of PUBLIC land near town and ATV accessible to yourself are both over and unrealistic. These are the GOOD OLE DAYS and there will only be more folks looking for both game and solitude.

I felt horrible that we may have taken a bull he was watching, but on the other hand it was awesome to be with a guy new to Alaska and help him take his first ever bull.

I encouraged my friend to speak with the Gentleman and see how we could make it right, meat and help was offered and threats was the answer and warnings that we should leave and not return.

I'm a turn the other cheek type of guy, however after you have slapped both cheeks and gave me a shove, I have been known to push back!!!!!

With all this said it was still an awesome hunt. Got to be with a new friend and help him get a Bull and got to watch the leaves change colors and see the fall start to arrive.

This one had old wounds from other predators.

Last load!!

Nothing like fresh still warm meat!!!

A old shed is proof that there are some nice ones around.

Views like this never gets old.

I think I like HEAVY camping.

Does the AO10 and stove make me look SOFT???

Good luck and full meat poles to all.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for the clarification Steve. Crummy deal the way this guy handled himself!

You know, the best revenge would just be to post exactly where you shot this moose

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    The old timer should have been up front with you. If he had a bull staked out why wasn't he hunting it? There is no reason for you to bring up your service to our country. It makes you think you are entilted just like the "old timer" ( Who may be a Vet too) thinks he is entitled. Let it go and enjoy the hunt.
    You may have been knowingly encroaching (and chose to set up camp) on his area and thought you did your do dilligece by attempting to contact him but this is a big state and even so we are running out of room day by day.
    Conrats on the hunt. I am active duty serving here in Iraq as we speak. I know that there are numerous military vets on here. This is what I have a problem with. None of "us" expect anything but respect. I expect that after serving multiple tours that when I return home I do not have to put up with the same Americans I am protecting threatening me whether it is over a hunting spot on public land or fishing spot on the river. I know that it isn't going to happen all the time. So with all being said "we" are entitled to a well deserved deep respect for what "we" have done. Just my 2 cents. (Not saying that others who don't deserve that same respect)

As a fellow veteran myself, I understand the points F350 and Blue8Gulf are making...<br><br>That, after coming home, we should not have deal with confrontation over something so small as territorial hunting "rights" in Public Land from our fellow countrymen and women.&nbsp; <br><br>Serving in the military, is an honor, a job, a choice, but after serving to protect your home, family and country from hostile company in foreign land, there's nothing wrong with wanting to come home to rest, and pursue the activities you enjoy and love...free from the strife you thought you left in whatever hostile country you just came from.&nbsp; <br><br>Some people just don't, or can't understand that.&nbsp; <br><br>And, if it wasn't important to F350, he wouldn't have brought it up.&nbsp; So, it IS important to him.&nbsp; <br><br>If we're talking about respect, then...let's respect his statement and the time he took to start this thread.&nbsp; He's trying to get a handle on what happened, an "after-action review" if you will.<br><br>It IS public land, and I believe he did the right thing by trying to respect other people's "rights" and trying not to step on any toes, respectfully contacting others who were already hunting in that area.<br><br>I've been in the exact, same situation, and have hunted in that kind of area for the past 5 years.<br><br>Truth is, just about every where you go, even in The Great Land of Alaska, there's usually going to be someone near you hunting, and, they may not even be from this state or even this country.&nbsp; <br><br>Everyone wants to hunt in the magical land of bounty we are blessed with here in Alaska.&nbsp; <br><br>Hunting in a new state, a new area, and trying to learn the nuances of the complicated regulations as well as trying to respect the rights and boundaries of other hunters can be a very intimidating juggling act.<br><br>F350...Congrats on your bull.&nbsp; Welcome home. <br><br>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast