Thread: Bauer reels. Any opinions on them?

Default Bauer reels. Any opinions on them?

Picked up a 10' 6 wt at Mossy's the other day. Interested in a large arbor reel to go with. Saw the Bauer Rogue and it caught my eye. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Bauer reels. They seem pretty proud of them so I figured I would ask around a bit before buying.

http://www.bauerflyreel.com/rogue.html

-Dan

I have a couple of MacKenzie Extremes and a Rogue. They are well made and trouble free, but in light of some others on the market these days, probably overpriced for comparable features. I need to pick up 4 more reels this winter, and I'll be comparing Bauer with Ross and a few others that cost a little to a lot less before I buy.

I've had a MacKenzie for about 12 years. I think it used to be called the Mini-Mac. It's now the Junior Mac. It's been a great 6wt reel.

those are fine - but don't get the bauer model with the drag adjust on the right side of the reel (same side as handle); kinda hard to tighten with a fish taking out line, ya think?

I was doing some real searching last night and found that The Gorge Fly Shop in Hood River OR has Abels on sale for half price or roughly $400. I won't pay full pop for Abel or Bauer, but in that price range Abel has my attention.

They may have improved them, but I had an older M5 that looked great but was never worth the trouble. Sent in for upgraded drag, but didn't help for long. I bought it for steelhead, but was disappointed. Now the wooden handle broke. Haven't had the energy or interest to even send it in.

It's tough to beat the lamson drag. They may not be pretty but they land fish and the drag is reliable. Check out the ULA Force. It's a large arbor and has an awesome drag. I fished the lamson in 4 wt last week for every fish landed (except the barbie rod ) and never had a single hiccup. Awesome shet for the price.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

If you're made of money I guess they are great. But there are PLENTY of reels that are just as good for a LOT less. Especially if its only going on a 6 wt.

If I was going to spend that kind of dough-- I'd buy a HATCH reel.

I just looked at the Hatch site, and really anybody that starts their slide show with a photo of beer caps can't be all bad.
    Looks great if your looking for small hand made runs.
    I'm pretty happy with Lamson and as was said they have a great drag. That to me is about all that's important as the rest of a reel is pretty much just something to spool your line onto.

I got the Rogue 3 pictured in the middle up top, the yellow/black one.

I called Bauer and spoke with John Bauer. Very helpful guy to say the least.

Should do well on the 10' 6 wt Z-Axis Mike at Mossy's sold me last week.

I am sending it in to Sage for a spare tip soon.

Thanks for the comment here. I appreciate it.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I got the Rogue 3 pictured in the middle up top, the yellow/black one.

I called Bauer and spoke with John Bauer. Very helpful guy to say the least.

Should do well on the 10' 6 wt Z-Axis Mike at Mossy's sold me last week.

I am sending it in to Sage for a spare tip soon.

Thanks for the comment here. I appreciate it.

-Dan
    Is that a switch z-axis? I'm really considering a 7wt z-axis switch rod. And then I'll be in the same boat as you were, deciding on a reel...

No, that is a 10' 6wt single hander. With a 7wt switch you will want a reel in the 3.5" range.
    "The Tug is the Drug"