Thread: Successful 26B caribou fly-in

Post Successful 26B caribou fly-in

For starters, I'd like to thank everyone on here who recommended 70 North as a flight service- great guys, fantastic service, and, considering the location, pretty reasonable rates.
    My wife and I flew in from Happy Valley on Friday, Sept. 2. Bob Gill, our pilot, dropped us on a gravel bar where camp was an easy set-up. We'd seen some animals on the way in- not lots, but enough to let us know there were some in the neighborhood. We did some glassing that evening, and noticed a number of caribou heading north (?) in bunches.
    Got up on Saturday and headed east from camp, over a mile or so of nasty tussocks. When we got out in the flats, we saw a small bunch of medium-sized bulls not far away. This was really open tundra, so there as no place to hide- these guys knew we were there, and were a bit wary. So, we decided to try a trick we'd heard about and used successfully at Denali, and were wondering if it'd work on animals who'd been hunted. What we did was crawl around on all fours and wave our hiking sticks around our heads like they were antlers. Sure enough, their curiosity got the better of the group, and it was one guy's last mistake. We weren't able to get it to work on bigger bulls, but if you're looking for a meat bull, this might help.
    And of course, as we were cleaning my wife's animal, three bigger bulls came into view and wandered a bit too close. Soon enough, we had two animals on the ground- then, of course, the work started.
    We got them opened up and quarters off, got the meat into bags, covered them with a tarp, and took our first load of meat to camp. Man, there's nothing more fun than carrying weight over those evil, treacherous, satanic tundra tussocks.
    Got the rest of the meat boned out and moved over the next two days- great conditions for field dressing. Cool and overcast, temps in the 40s, no wind, and no bugs- can't beat that!
    Tuesday we had five bulls try to walk through camp, but like a dope I managed to scare them off- my wife really wanted to take a big bull but, alas, it was not to be. Wednesday it snowed about 2 inches on us, Thursday they couldn't get in to pick us up due to fog, but we finally got out late on Friday. Mike offered to let us sleep in their bunkhouse, and even treated us to dinner, and breakfast the next morning. Quite a class act.
    Then my wife wanted to see Deadhorse and the Arctic Ocean, but the tour company was closed. So, we gassed up and headed back down the road. After about 60 miles we got the obligatory flat tire, and had to take boxes, packs and crates out so we could get at the tire tools and laid stuff on a tarp on the muddy roadside.
    We eventually got back on the road, but going over the pass was a white-knuckle affair- getting dark, blowing snow, just plain nasty. Glad to have that behind us. Spent the night in a luxurious room in Coldfoot for a mere $199.00, got gassed up and on the road in the morning.
    Then, to complete the adventure, about 10 miles north of Healy, my alternator blew up. After scrambling around to find a mechanic, then having to drive back to Fairbanks to get the right part, we eventually made it home. Kept one rack, and had about 200 lbs. of boned out meat for our troubles. All in all, a great experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ANCguy; 09-14-2011 at 17:56. Reason: Spelling

Great post ANCguy - congrats to you and the Mrs ! You are right it is very open country where you scored from the looks of the picks - and you got creative and scored - that's what hunting's all about!
    Sweet!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The more problems you have, the more of an adventure it is! Least that's the way it should be remembered.
    Good story!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Sucks about the problems but glad to hear you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing
    Jason

Oh yeah.....nice bull!

Mike @ 70 north is a class act, helped my friends and I in Aug. I can't say enough good about him. Glad you had a good trip, fun place to hunt.

Great trip. I agree you can't beat Mike and Bob at 70 North.

Thanks for sharing, looks like it was a good hunt. Congrats to both of you on a couple fine caribou being harvested.
    BK

You should have stopped in Wiseman and checked on a room lots cheaper and way nicer.
    another way to put the caribou at ease is to hang a white game bag on your self (tucked in like a bib or on your back) and walk around slowly the caribou seem to think you are a caribou in a safe place at times feed right to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    The more problems you have, the more of an adventure it is! Least that's the way it should be remembered.
    Good story!
    Absolutely- nothing more boring than hearing a hunting story where everything went perfectly. Fortunately (?) for me, that's never been a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    You should have stopped in Wiseman and checked on a room lots cheaper and way nicer.
    another way to put the caribou at ease is to hang a white game bag on your self (tucked in like a bib or on your back) and walk around slowly the caribou seem to think you are a caribou in a safe place at times feed right to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the tip- next time we'll do that.