Thread: New GPS application needed

Default New GPS application needed

A lot of discussion about Unit boundaries and with sunset coming soon, I challenge someone to develop the GMU app for the hunter's GPS this winter. Satellites will tell you if you are standing within the area intended. Seems if a Tom-Tom can tell EXACTLY where a speed limit change occurs, a GPS should show the GMU boundary. Someone smart then I can make a few bucks with this development. I only ask for a FREE app when its developed.

I'll see what I can do. It should be easy, though I'm not sure how accurate the ADFG boundaries in the GIS layer are.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

This type of definition could all be eliminated

"bounded by a line beginning at Mile 140 of the Taylor Highway, then north along the highway to Eagle, then west along the cat trail from Eagle to Crooked Creek, then from Crooked Creek southwest along the west bank of Mogul Creek to its headwaters on North Peak, then west across North Peak to the headwaters of Independence Creek, then southwest along the west bank of Independence Creek to its confluence with the North Fork of the Fortymile River"

Good Luck

I think it would be a much appreciated effort!
    I do agree with nuskovich though, all area boundaries should use drainages or something on the ground we can see.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

All right. Here's attempto numero uno (since it's Hispanic Heritage Month).

This may or may not be good for your GPS. It's a .kmz filetype, which means it will open in Google Earth. Getting shapefiles onto your GPS shouldn't be much of a problem. I think it's a fairly straightforward process with most units. Someone mentioned that he could load GPS data directly from his GPS to Google Earth back in the spring when we were discussing this... if that is possible, then one should be able to go the other way as well. I dunno. It's a long winter and we'll figure it out before next season. I also want to create one for the five mile buffer along the haul road. I'm certain that ADFG has the shapefile I want but they probably won't give it to me (that buffer is a big cash cow for the troopers I'm sure).

About this file... it's in a zipped format so you'll have to unzip it before opening in google earth. Once unzipped, launch Google Earth and click File, Open, and choose the .kmz file that you unzipped. As the friendly forum admins have set a limit of 1 MB per attachment, I'm going to have to split it up into four files. Sorry.

Next post will have the others.

Southcentral_GMUs.zip
    Southeast_GMUs.zip

Aleuts_GMUs.zip
    Interior_GMUs.zip

Guess it'll take one more.

Northslope_GMUs.zip

This is the last one. Let me know what you think.

Oh man, that is awesome. How can I just make it a line on google earth rather than a shaded area?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Never mind. Got it. For those of you out there messing with this in Google Earth right now. Under the "places" menu on the left side of google earth. Scroll down to temporary places and click on the "-" box. That will bring up a list of game units. Right click on one of them and select "properties". In that you can change the shading and border outiline color to whatever you want.

I don't know how accurate those lines are compared to the definitions of the boundaries in the regs. It looks pretty darn close to me though. Keep the feedback coming.

When you scroll in it becomes evident that it is off on easily defined areas (like rivers) but it's pretty darn close. I sure wonder how a wildlife trooper makes his case in court since even surveyors can often disagree on a boundary.

Go here on Google earth and you can easily see the deviation from the ridge line to the line on your map. 6321'52.74"N, 14958'15.14"W

No, I'm not stalking you SkinnyD Another issue that has come up with my handheld GPS and Google earth is that the Garmin base map puts the Parks Highway and up the Dalton Highway to the west of where you really are. Google earth will do the same thing. It's almost like they use the same base map. Even if we did manage to load good data into our handhelds, is it going to be better than a Garmin base map that is a little off?

I have played with this and like it. I seem to recall downloading one last year as well. I play with GIS stuff at work as well, but haven't quite figured out how to get it into Garmin. A couple things to notice... in Google Earth, at the lower left corner you can select different imagery by different dates. You will notice that the different images will vary by 30 or 50 or whatever feet from one date to another. This has been playing havoc with some projects I have worked on. Also, where Doug talked about playing with the properties to change the fill color (style, color tab) more important than changing the color is being able to change the opacity. Set it about 35 or 40% and you can see through it.
    GOOD JOB SkinnyD.
    Last edited by acadinak; 09-15-2011 at 17:33. Reason: spelling

This has gone way too technical for me, but since you're interested in boundary stuff, here are a couple of links that might help on future adventures. The first is GPS data for Denali NP. The second has .pdf maps of Wrangell-St. Elias with a fair amount of detail along the Nabesna & McCarthy Roads.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/park-boundary-info.htm

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/parkmgmt/subsistence-maps.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Another issue that has come up with my handheld GPS and Google earth is that the Garmin base map puts the Parks Highway and up the Dalton Highway to the west of where you really are. Google earth will do the same thing. It's almost like they use the same base map. Even if we did manage to load good data into our handhelds, is it going to be better than a Garmin base map that is a little off?
    I don't want to act like I know exactly what the problem is... but it could very easily be a difference in datums between the basemap and the settings of the individual unit. I would suspect that Garmin basemaps are created in WGS84 and typically when you turn on a new GPS it's set to WGS84 too. If you are in NAD83, which I usually use, there will be very little difference from WGS84. However, if you happen to be collecting in NAD27 (like the old USGS topo quads) then there will be a big difference, especially the farther north you go.

Another thing to remember is that basemaps are created from a number of sources and some may be better than others. If you're using a GPS for navigation, it would be best to NOT change the settings while you're in the field and go by your own tracks, not the basemap.

I got a extra CD with my maping program that shows all the GMU's and Bondaries. I'm not sure how to get it load on a GPS but it works good with the mapping program. What type of Garmin GPSs are you guys using? I have the Orgen 400T.

I posted a GPS file of the GMU for garmin a couple years ago. I'll have to search to find it.
    I have a file that shows the GMU as tracks, or I can make them as a custom map to load on a hand held Garmin.
    Can also move your Google Earth track to and from Garmin handhelds.
    I got the GMU info from the GIS folks in AK.
    Making a track or map of the five mile buffer along the haul road is not a problem. I made one last year,it's on my computer somewhere.
    Pretty busy right now, but if anyone is interested I'd help them with it in a few weeks.
    Doug
    "The older I get, the better I was."

"The older I get, the better I was."