Thread: Thinking about next May...

Default Thinking about next May...

I had my 17' Boston Whaler Newport towed up this summer. She has a 75 Johnson and a 5 horse kicker. I know people fish the lower CI for halibut from smaller boats. I am wondering where folks launch, I am assuming the smaller boats are not using the tractors. I also do not have an anchor system at this time. I don't believe I will have the room or the $ for a powered system. I used to fish the Columbia river with a guy that used a buoyed system that had some sort of a slip ring where he would tow the anchor to the surface. What is the name of that system? Is it necessary to anchor or is drifting a viable fishing strategy? Prepping the boat is my winter project so I am trying to figure out what all need to do to get her rigged up right.

You can get one of these at most any marine store, and some sporting good stores

they are generally referred to as anchor buoy pullers.

As to anchoring vs. drifting, it depends on conditions. I generally prefer to drift, but if the current and or wind are too strong, then it's time to anchor up. Just be aware that anchoring in cook inlet can be extremely hazardous during a tide rip.

You can launch out of Homer and fish K-bay. Probably best to plan your trips for early in the morning, as K-bay has a pretty consistant afternoon breeze that will easily produce a 2' chop, if not higher.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yup that is what I am talking about.

I have a 26' Hewescraft and I use one of the buoy anchor pullers and love it. Takes a little more work, but it's great.

I actually prefer to drift but it's really a personal preference sort of thing. There are some spots I'll anchor up in because I know there are a lot of halibut in that particular area, but I probably drift 90% of the time.

And yes you can launch at the ramp in the small boat harbor here in Homer and just fish K-bay.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com