Thread: Hagglund Bv206

Default Hagglund Bv206

Also known as a SUSV. I've been looking around for one of these, anyone have any experience with them, or know where a good used one can be found. I have found a few dealers over seas and in Canada, but would rather go through a private seller or US company and not deal with the import offices. Any ideas? Do they ever get surplused on base localy. I did see one cruising up in Eureka this summer.
    Thanx.

Call Tom Reed in Big Lake 841-0888

I have a fair amount if experience with operating them. A few years ago, I seriously looked into buying one and talked to a few people. First was the head maintenance guy for the army guard on ft rich. He said that as soon as practical, they pull out the Mercedes engine and replace it with a GM because the maintenance was so high. (the GM's aren't so great either, but they have lots of parts in stock). The next guy was a former general manager of Homer Electric Association. He said they got rid of theirs because it cost to much to maintain.

I really loved driving them- very capable, but if I had to pay to keep one running well...

http://www.extremehagglunds.com/ Taking Hagglunds to a whole new level.

My first experience seeing them outside a military application was at the Valdez Hillclimbs back in 2005 or so. Some guy drove one of those **** things WAY up the mountain. I'd love to have one, but it's a hobby into itself. It wouldn't leave time for my goal of getting a boat and an airplane, so I've given up looking for them. There is one in a yard off the Glenn Highway (north side) between N. and S. Birchwood (I believe). The last batch to go up for auction that I can recall was back in 2001. Most went for $10K to $15K.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The only experiance I've had with one is out on a sismic crew years ago, the geologist had one packed with gear...and the cat train had a Hagglund mechanic traveling with us (from Sweden). He also mentioned that they require a fair amount of maintenance. I suspect the military rings them out above and beyond anything I'd do . Thanx for the responses, I'm going to look into it further. It would sure be a nice long range moose buggy.
    Those extreme Hagglunds look saweeet. I looked into surplus DMRS today, and it looks like the US military does not surplus off road vehicles, citing saftey issues.

I agree. I have an idea on how to build a pretty good vehicle like them, but all it's going to take is money. I have a hydrostatic driven Bobcat I am going to retire soon. It's going to be awful tough for me to not diassemble it for the engine, hydraulic pump and hydrostatic drive motors to build my own track rig

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I agree. I have an idea on how to build a pretty good vehicle like them, but all it's going to take is money. I have a hydrostatic driven Bobcat I am going to retire soon. It's going to be awful tough for me to not diassemble it for the engine, hydraulic pump and hydrostatic drive motors to build my own track rig
    Just remember, going first class only costs 100% more ....Sounds like a great idea using a bobcat drive train. Those Kubota UTV's also use hydrostatic drives.

Even the skid steer controls and chain drive system for the final drive could be used. Build a new lighter chasis with a longer wheelbase, center idler tire, tracks over eveything. Just need to figure out how to make it go faster.

Check out this site www.repowersolutions.ca