Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 halibut per day VOICE YOUR OPINIONS

Exclamation 1 halibut per day VOICE YOUR OPINIONS

I searched to see if there was already a post on here about this and there wasn't, if your not aware the government is trying to put a one halibut limit on guide boats and allocate the fish to the commercial fisherman.......
    Please comment here on why you DO NOT WANT TO SEE A ONE FISH LIMIT ON HALIBUT......it's very easy and we only have until Sept. 21st to get these comments in. Once they get it passed through the charter business they will come after the public fishermen as well so the fight starts here.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=NOAA-NMFS-2011-0180-0001
    www.regulations.gov

I want to see inshore and near-shore halibut fishing completely shut down throughout Southcentral, regardless of whether it's personal, charter, or commercial use. Give the halibut a 5 year break or so to rebuild populations, which are obviously suffering.

1/3 of the halibut we caught out of Seward this summer had long line hooks in their mouths....that should tell you something. They are getting hammered all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I want to see inshore and near-shore halibut fishing completely shut down throughout Southcentral, regardless of whether it's personal, charter, or commercial use.
    That's just asking to put alot of people in the unemployment line. Restaurants, hotels, fishing gear sales, fuel, slip fees, and the people who works these boats, commercial or sport, will be out of a job. Regulations on the halibut catch need to limited to a shorter season.

Either way it goes some one is going to loose, guide's account for 8-11% of the halibut harvest so why should they be punished and the commercial rewarded...makes no sense.

I want to see inshore and near-shore halibut fishing completely shut down throughout Southcentral, regardless of whether it's personal, charter, or commercial use. Give the halibut a 5 year break or so to rebuild populations, which are obviously suffering.

1/3 of the halibut we caught out of Seward this summer had long line hooks in their mouths....that should tell you something. They are getting hammered all the way around.
    I can only assume you're joking. If you're not you'd better do a LOT more research into the reasons the halibut stock is where it's at because it is "suffering" for reasons that could very easily be taken care of with careful stewardship of that wonderful public resource. And yes, you can read that as "commercial fishing interest" including the halibut they waste as bycatch in other fisheries. I go out and supply an opportunity for the people of America that own the resource to catch a couple of those halibut they own. I could go on and on, but I'm not going to.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Some jobs may have to be temporarily lost in order to ensure long-term longevity of the resource and future jobs. Or we can continue fishing them until there are none left and all be out of a job for good.

Shorter seasons just means they get fished harder, faster. Limits on sport and charter boats kills that industry...nobody is going to want to pay $250/day for one fish on a charter boat, and it makes it hard to justify all the extra expenses for personal boaters. I try to at least break even on trips, i.e. catch enough meat to make it's market value at least as valuable as any trip costs me take. One fish limits with size restrictions would make that impossible, so I probably wouldn't target halibut anyway, so shutting it down completely for a faster recovery makes more sense to me.

The job losses is kind of a 6 of one, half-dozen of the other situation. We can save at least some jobs by having some halibut fishing now, or save the entire fishery to ensure jobs in the future.

Halibut are governed by rules specifically designed to ensure commercial harvest sustainability. If we really want to make a difference in rules/regs and the way the fishery as a whole is (mis)managed, we need to somehow take power away from IPHC, IMO.

Shutting down the whole fishery is just another temporary solution, are you going to do that every 5 years with only 1 year open between??? There's no way to fix the problem with out hurting people but shutting the whole thing down would mean massive job loss and halibut would be $50 a pound...makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFISHRIPPER View Post
    Shutting down the whole fishery is just another temporary solution, are you going to do that every 5 years with only 1 year open between??? There's no way to fix the problem with out hurting people but shutting the whole thing down would mean massive job loss and halibut would be $50 a pound...makes no sense.
    No, you do that to rebuild stocks, then reopen it with close regulation to make sure it doesn't happen again. Look at crabbing and shrimping in PWS for an example.

It's a moot point anyway; I'm not suggesting they are actually even going to consider doing that. Just saying I wouldn't mind seeing it, the same way I wouldn't mind seeing them shut the Kenai down to King fishing until numbers are strong enough to allow it again.

I'm not saying that they don't need to do something but completely shutting down a fishery like that is a little extreme, I don't feel that sport fisherman and guides impact fish numbers enough to warrent that......In the case of the Kenai regulate the commerical fishing more, market prices should not rise to much cause at least they can farm salmon

Size limit would be a good start. How about releasing everything over 50#?

Halibut are governed by rules specifically designed to ensure commercial harvest sustainability. If we really want to make a difference in rules/regs and the way the fishery as a whole is (mis)managed, we need to somehow take power away from IPHC, IMO.
    Can you point me at a reference for the bold print statement above, the rules of governance you reference? Are you intending to imply the IPHC is mandated to favor commercial harvest over non-commercial? If the statement is true, wouldn't it make more sense to leave the IPHC in place but tweek its focus a bit?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That could work or maybe do it like King's and have a 4-6 a year limit with one over 50lbs allowed per year

How would you define"near-shore" vs offshore? Specifically, would your proposal exclude the majority of the industrialized commercial fleet if their operational grounds fell outside the "near-shore" zone as you would define it?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Size limit would be a good start. How about releasing everything over 50#?
    Herassy!
    #Resist

Lets just shut all fishing down in Alaskan waters, and all drainages for all species for five years.... Come on now anticdotal evidnence like half the halibut you caught this summer had long line hooks in their mouth makes about as much sense and shutting down all fishing in Alaska.
    Based on my expereince - about 100 days a year for the last 15 years in Seward, there were as many halibut this year to be caught as their were 15 years ago. Fishing for halibut and salmon was excellant this year.
    A size limit would be great if the commercial sector was willing to release the larger fish. as long as they are taking 80% of the halibut and have no limitation on the upper size limit, I would be reluctant to agree to any size limitation. Over all halibut are one of the most well managed fisheries in the world and steps have already been taken to reduce the commercail 83% of the catch to allow the stocks to rebuild.

I don't think more stringent regulations focused on the sportfishing fleet is going to make a bit of difference in Halibut recovery until the commercial bycatch is dealt with. That is far and away the biggest waste of the resource with the least, as in ZERO, economic benefit.

Wow, I could swear you guys were talking about red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico (not yelloweye rockfish you have). The arguments are all the same, just a different species. I made a trip last year to your wonderful state, had great fishing on the Kenai and out of Seward, and will be back next year. Our red snapper limit went from 7, to 5, then to 2, a couple years ago. Total catch for both recreational and commercial sectors was reduced. The average size of the fish skyrocketed to over 6 pounds (way higher than offical projections) and this year was the best many people, including me ever experienced. Unfortunately the recreational quota was reached in a month and a half (June 1 to July 18). Reducing total catch works as long as the habitat is available, it's just a matter of allocation. We biologists call it "fisheries" management, but it's really "fishermen" management. The fish do fine managing themselves. I hope to be able to keep 2 halibut when I visit. I would very likely opt for salmon-only trips if the limit was one halibut, which I'm sure some of you would say is a good thing. I love your state. It's like a different planet from where I live. My truck thermometer read 97 this afternoon!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I don't know about that. This year was the best season in the last 6-7 years for us as far as halibut went. Lots of fish, didn't have to make unusually long runs as we have had to in the past, and we didn't catch a single fish with a long line hook in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I don't know about that. This year was the best season in the last 6-7 years for us as far as halibut went. Lots of fish, didn't have to make unusually long runs as we have had to in the past, and we didn't catch a single fish with a long line hook in it.
    I went out 7 times this year. 4 times were my own boat (4-5 people) out of Cook Inlet, 3 times (10-15 people) with charters out of Seward. We only caught 1 fish over 50 lbs (52#) in my boat. We caught no fish over 20 lbs with the charters. That is some pretty poor statistics. Did you get any big fish, say over 50 lbs? or over 100 lbs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast