Thread: Experience with Yamaha 4-strokes

Default Experience with Yamaha 4-strokes

Hi there,
    does anyone have experience with the 2007 Yamaha 4-strokes? I am thinking about buying one, would appreciate to hear some of your opinions....
    Thanks.

YENSUS

Hi , I have an o5 Rage, and have been very happy with it, the more i ride it the smoother it gets, last time out i got 18 mpg, it's nice not having to deal with oil, also nice not having the smoke & stinky cloths , no problem starting down to -15, thats the coldest it was here.
    everyone that i know that has a 4 stroke likes them, also a lot quieter too,
    i demo rode the new Nitro and that is a nice machine, it just needs some simmons skis..

Thumbs up 4 strokes

My sweetie and I are new to the sled scene...the two '05 Yamaha Vector Mt's (3 cyl.) are the only snowmachines I've owned.

I don't want to start an intergalactic pissing contest of biblical proportions in the classical scene by sounding like I'm dissing the other brands so I'll stick to pluses.

With a 4-stoke you will enjoy...

A) better gas milage, I put 4.5 gal in my machine...my buddy's 600 RMK took 7gals...we rode together. The dealer told me I'd get 18-20mpg...B/S...more like 12-16mpg...but hey, do you get what they told you on the car or truck you have in your driveway?

B) No stinky burnt oil smell for those following you and your clothes...someones brand of oil smells like bubble gum...which is ok, while another brand smells like dish soap...not ok. 2-stroke oil is spendy so that's another savings.

C) Quiet...they are quiet...some folks like the noise of a 2-stroke...me, I run a gas-axe all summer I can do without the noise. We even snuck-up on a wolf.

D) gobs of low end power.

They have never not started.
    Since December we've been lucky enough to get out and play 33 times accumlating 2000 trail, swamp powder, boondocking and hardpack miles on the o/d...they are stored in an unheated garage and we've seen -29F on the thermometer.

They are heavy...but since they are the first and only sleds I've owned I don't know any better. I've only had to break out the shovel once and that was cause I tried to make a 9-point turn on a survey line and buried it down to the 'pavement' in sugar snow. They both have reverse.

They come out of the box front heavy so I learned how to shift the weight rearward by
    fiddling with the track spring preloads to improve the handling...I assume everyone does that with any sled.

Across Long Lake in Willow when I chickened out the GPS said I did so at 80.8 mph. During the radar trap speed runs at the Willow Winter Carnival an APEX put down 94 mph and it was silent when compared to the other machines that took part.

We love 'em...and when I get rid of mine it will be only to get a new Yamaha.

Burn Gas...not oil

Smile The Only Way To Go !!!!

I have Viking Pro. and Attak 136" . I get over 15 mlies to the gallon. I have got 1000+ mile in 2 weeks on the Attak And the VK Pro. has 3600 miles grooming for the Willow Trail Comm. If you want more info give me a call 495-5884

2007 Vector Mountain SE here - Love it - needs more power though - but for entry machine awesome - adding a supercharger to mine voer the summer for a total of 270-280hp

Default Viking Pro on trail rides

Trail Boss,

How's that Viking when it isn't pulling a grooming drag? Would you take it on a 100 mile trail ride?

Looking for something for my wife that could serve double-duty as our hauler to get supplies to our cabin near Trapper Creek. Right now we got a pair of RMKs which aren't crazy about pulling heavy sleds. My wife is not an agressive rider and likes to just stay on the trails, so she really doesn't need a mountain machine. Any snowmachine for her has to be easy to handle and be comfortable on a long ride.

Smile VK Pro

It's ride is great and still has power to pull the house along too! I have been to 1 Stone Lake and back in 1 day about 190 miles. Remember that this is a big machine and wieghts about 700 lbs. but I know that it rides better than RMK's

This is a great place to find answers to your Yamaha questions.

Good Luck

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=41122

Default Yamaha 4-stroke

Anyone has to agree that Yamaha is definitely the leader in the 4-stroke series. They have been from day one (even with boat motors that took a while to catch on). I wouldn't be surprised to see that people start catching on to this 4-stroke business even more than they have. Just look at how may 07 phazers sold this year and I'll bet the 130HP 1049cc Nytro will sell a lot of sleds for Yamaha as well. 'Doo and Cat and Polaris might find themselves left in the dust if they dont start tinkering with the four strokes a little more.

On the other hand, the raw power to weight ratio with the two strokes is hard to beat (namely the REV-xp at 425 pounds with 151 hp).

Default Yamaha 4-stroke

Hi-
    I have an '05 Vector Mountain with 1900 miles on it. The more I ride it, the more I like it. The motors break in at around 1500 miles. My gas mileage jumped 2 mpg when I hit 1500 miles. I got 17mpg coming back from Dawson, at a steady 50 mph over 80 miles.
    Bottom line is you have to treat these sleds like a car. If it's cold (-20) plug them in to ensure cold starts. Mine has failed to start on occasion when it was really cold (-35). Install a circulating heater, a silicone pad heater on the oil tank (25 watt) and keep the battery charged with a trickle charger at all times when not in use and it will start. I've been told that there is a sensor on the machine and if it's too cold for the oil to flow from the tank, the sensor will not let the machine start. All of this means you need a power source which is not always available in the boonies. I've heard of people using a 2nd battery to jump start them or Sterno or propane bottles with stove pipes and small weed burner to get them going in really cold weather. I use my Skandic fan cooled when I go hunting in the winter so cold starting is really not an issue for me.
    The sled is on the heavy side for sure and if you're boondocking you will really feel it after a while. Those are the real worl down sides. Yamaha has got to address cold starting. As 4 strokes become more widely accepted, some manufacturer will come up with an alternative starting procedure.
    I hear Honda is thinking hard about building snowmachines with new, lightweight "revolutionary" 4 strokes. We'll see. It's all good, hope this helps.

Smile 4 strokes vs 2 strokes

I own 3 ski-doos and love them. tons of powere an light as a feather..
    on my 800 I get 10-13mpg on my 600 I get 15-20mpg so they are equal in gas milage
    I have to admit, the 4 stroke intrigues me. I would love to not burn oil!!! If they could get the weight at least close, i would consider them. Yamaha is really impresive with these machines, and I agree the outboards are probably #1 right over honda.
    If your strickly a trail rider, I would definitely check them out, you wouldn't be disappointed!! If you love the pwder like me......well take it for a test ride, they do ok, but there isn't a sled muchbetter than a summit .......yet, but they might get one soon. Yamaha is defintely one to watch!