Thread: My first Single Action

Default My first Single Action

I have been looking for a single action for quite a while. I knew what I wanted but wasn't finding it in any factory guns and had about settled on the fact that I would have to custom assemble my desired gun. Then out of the blue I ran across this one on Gunbroker which already had most of the stuff done to it that I wanted to do. I quickly emailed the guy and made a deal with him to end the auction and buy it outright. I just got my hands on it this past Monday and I couldn't be happier.

It is a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt that was originally a 7 1/2" barrel. A factory take-off 4 5/8" barrel was bought from Hamilton Bowen along with a set of his Rough Country Sights and both were installed on the gun along with a Belt Mountain oversized locking base pin and a blued steel ejector housing. All of these were features I was looking for. The only other thing I may someday do is have the frame color case hardened and possibly replace the front sight.

The reason I would replace the front sight is the ONLY issue I have with the gun so far. It appears that when the shorter barrel was installed, it bottomed out on threads before the front sight was totally vertical. It's not off by much, but it is enough that I have to adjust the rear sight nearly all the way to the right. I have it hitting point of aim now, but I don't like the blade being that far off center. I have a couple of ideas on how to rememdy the front sight and I may take that on as a winter project.

I am currently making a new crossdraw holster and gun belt for it myself. I'll post some pics of them when I get them finished.

Here are some pics of the gun. Let me know what you think.

Find a local gunsmith that can remove the barrel and adjust the face of the barrel to allow for proper alignment. Any smith worth his salt can fix your problem and it's much chaper than repairing/replacing the front sight.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Very nice!! Congratulations on the score!

I finally got around to taking some pics of the cartridge belt and holster I made for my new Bisley. I am starting trying to do custom holsters as a side business. Let me know what you guys think.

That is SWEEEEET, nice work.

wow it looks great! as to the front sight......it is only a silver solder job and can be relocated w/o removing your barrel. this will save you from having to reface the breech and forcing cone. good luck.

nice job on the gunleather.....it really looks professional
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    wow it looks great! as to the front sight......it is only a silver solder job and can be relocated w/o removing your barrel. this will save you from having to reface the breech and forcing cone. good luck.

nice job on the gunleather.....it really looks professional
    Would the barrel have to be re-blued if removing and re-soldering the front sight? That's why I thought it might be easier to mill off the front blade and slot the base to accept a pinned in blade.

Thanks for the compliments on the leather. Each one I make is better than the last. They are already better than many big name holsters I see in stores.

Very nice gun and leather. The .45 is the only single action I own as well.

Nice leather. How did you do the stiching? Do you have a machine?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Very nice gun and leather. The .45 is the only single action I own as well.

Nice leather. How did you do the stiching? Do you have a machine?
    No I don't have a machine. It's all saddle stitched by hand with an awl and two needles. @ 8 stitches/inch. It took a while.

That is a great looking rig. It shows the quality work that you put into it.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Your stitching is very, very nice. I never could get mine to look that nice (not even close) by hand is why I asked. Very impressive!

I want a holster and belt!

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    I want a holster and belt!
    PM me your email if you're truly interested. I'd be happy to fix you up.

Beautiful SA. Congrats and enjoy it.

Wonderfull looking rig
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Very nice rig...and the revolver....PERFECT!

Yes if you remove and re-solder the front sight the gun needs to be re-blued. If the barrel only needs to be "nudged" I would bet it can be done in a barrel vise (by a gunsmith) without needing to re-face the barrel. I have had to do that on several Ruger single actions, and most recently a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt.

If you mill off the blade and mill in a slot, won't it still be off center?

Good luck, you have a great gun there.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post

If you mill off the blade and mill in a slot, won't it still be off center?

Good luck, you have a great gun there.

Dan
    Thanks for the compliments.

If I decide to mill and slot the base I would mill the slot vertical in relation to the frame, which would be slightly off square to the front sight base but centered. I doubt it would be even a couple of degrees off and hardly noticeable. I haven't decided what I want to do yet.

If I had the cash, I would send it off to Hamilton Bowen to work his magic on it. I may bite the bullet someday and do it. I'd love to have one of his guns.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    No I don't have a machine. It's all saddle stitched by hand with an awl and two needles. @ 8 stitches/inch. It took a while.
    One leather worker to another, that's first class stitching! I also like the design and proportion of the rig. You have a bright future in your side business if you can get people to pay what your work is worth! After a slow start, I bet they will!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    One leather worker to another, that's first class stitching! I also like the design and proportion of the rig. You have a bright future in your side business if you can get people to pay what your work is worth! After a slow start, I bet they will!
    Thanks, BB. Business is picking up slowly. I love the work, unlike my day job.