Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citric acid, who has used it

Default Citric acid, who has used it

Never used Citric acid to preserve meat before, but was curious to try it. Was curious how much to buy (Caribou) as well as what conditions it would be useful for and if there are certain situations it wont do any good.

I'm anticpating weatherin the high 40's and rain for a hunt in southwest ak. I will have a rain fly pitched to keep the meat dry, but the meat may get wet if it is raining before I put the meat under the fly.

One package and one application should be sufficient unless it gets washed off. By yourself a small spay bottle to apply.

I have used it and am a believer in it. I agree with birdstrike. I spray the bags to keep bug activity to a minimum and will respray after a couple days.

I will not go to the field anymore without it. I have seen first hand the results side by side with meat not treated with citric in warm weather. It works and works well

I use it. I believe that one packet (ie game saver amount from Indian Valley Meats) is more than sufficient per animal. In fact, my experience is that you can do multiple animals and bags with a single packet if mixed as directed. I spray my animals with it as I butcher them in the field and initially place in bags that I also spray down. I have not yet used it as a wash on my game bags, but I may try this at some point. The value is twofold in that it helps to create a crust on the meat and it also assists in reducing the bug activity on the bags themselves. It is lightweight and inexpensive too. I have yet to hear a hunter who does not see value in it after using it . . . but there may be some that feel this way? Good luck and hope you have a reason to try it on your hunt

BTW You can find it many places. Fred Meyer, SW, and many locally owned places carry the orange tagged Indian Valley packets.
    Last edited by millsymojo; 09-14-2011 at 11:33. Reason: content

FYI you can also buy it in dry form at local pharmacies. last i bought was in a white plastic bottle. i bet it costs less than in the IVM packets but am not certain.

I buy it at Arctic brewing ( ANC). $6 per pound , lasts for many, many hunts.

My experience has been that it retards bacterial growth well, but has no effect on insects. Try spraying some on a piece of meat and leave it outside to see what happens. Worth doing though.

I have tried citric acid before and in my opinion it doesn’t hold a candle to vinegar and pepper. We use a small pot and fill it with vinegar soak the bag ring it out and put it over the meat. Then I rub fine ground pepper on the bottom of the bags (where the blood will drip). I have had flies lay eggs when using citric acid but never with vinegar and pepper. I also went to using sheets instead of the regular game bags and I will never go back (less surface contact with the meat and nothing is getting through it).

Game saver spray is what we use. Two years now for our early August hunts and it's really kept the flies away and even in the heat, our meat has been awesome...worth the $3 if you ask me...

We use a sprayer with lemon juice and a little cayenne pepper works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

At what temperature would you recommend there be no need for it? I know most will reply with when there are no bugs, but do you still use it at or near freezing?

What is the mixure rate? I bought some from the bulk area at Freddies so no instructions included.
    \
    Thanks,
    Grizz
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?” --Jack Handy

I honestly believe that it doesn't do a single thing to preserve meat. I only use it to repel flies and it works well for that in my experience. I mix it really strong, though.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I honestly believe that it doesn't do a single thing to preserve meat. I only use it to repel flies and it works well for that in my experience. I mix it really strong, though.
    And with no fly blow, it helps preserve your meat.

OK you got me there. However, there seems to be this fasle impression that citric acid somehow actually preserves meat. My use is to simply keep the bugs off until the meat is in the bags. Keep it clean, keep it cool, keep it dry, keep it in good bags

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    OK you got me there. However, there seems to be this fasle impression that citric acid somehow actually preserves meat. My use is to simply keep the bugs off until the meat is in the bags. Keep it clean, keep it cool, keep it dry, keep it in good bags
    Bingo...you and me both, Doug.

BTW, getting excited for the Falla class?

Default I'm a believer

I used it on caribou and had no problems through 4 days of temperatures from 45-78! The bugs were ridiculous, but the meat made the trip.

BTW, getting excited for the Falla class?
    ****thread hijack in process**** Absolutely. I was going to practice a bunch, then decided not to. I am going to try and show up with an empty brain willing to start from ground zero with him. I need to do an ammo count, though, and make sure I have enough. I'm also going to bring a spare firearm and 400 rounds just in case

I'm bringing two holsters apiece for the wife and I, 10 mags, and a backup gun too!! Can never be over prepared for an opportunity like this!!

According to the liturature, citrus spray is suppose to adjust the Ph on the meat surface to help retard spoilage. It seems to do that. I have also seen, first hand, the difference with bugs, especially flies, on game bags that have been treated/sprayed and bags that have not been so treated/sprayed. In my experience, it certainly helps.
    Everyone has different experiences as evident that one posted has seen it help preserve meat but has not effect on the flies but another has not seen it help preserve the meat but it keeps the flies off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast