Thread: Dumb Question that can be easily answered about the Sag

Default Dumb Question that can be easily answered about the Sag

So, a new found buddy of mine is a raft guide in the copper river. We are talking about doing a float hunt on the Sagavanirktok next year. After spending some time on google earth. there isn't much of that river that is past the 5 mile Dalton Highway Corridor. Just wondering why i see/hear about so many people hunting on or near the river.
    What am I missing?

Most people hunting near the river are archery hunters hunting within the Dalton Hwy corridor. If you want to hike in 5 miles outside the archery-only corridor, you'll need to cross the Sag. Floating the Sag, even though it may keep you within the archery-only corridor, might not be a bad way of avoiding some of the crowds if you're looking to bow hunt.

If you want a float hunt where you can use your rifles, consider the Ivishak River which flows into the Sag north of Pump Station 2. It'll require a flight in but you float out to your vehicle.

The vast majority of hunters on the haul road hunt from the road. If you have the ability to "cross" the Sag. ot opens a ton of new opportunities, as road hunters don't want to try aand cross the water to retrieve an animal. Therefore a boat becomes your firend.

If you like Class 5 rapids, you can start your trip at Atigun pass...but be sure to have your Wheaties! Otherwise, you can start you float of the Sag at Pump Station 3 and can float all the way to Prudhoe Bay. Most folks float a part of this section of river, with places to get in/out off the road every 10-20 miles. I think all of this float is strictly in the archery only area. Some areas will get you farther away from the corridor, so it would be less walking to get 5 miles out. IMHO, a GPS is a must as you need to be 5 miles from the road, not the pipe.
    At Happy Valley you can charter a plane to fly you and your gear out to the base of the Brooks Range (north side). This seems to be very popular with both hunting and fishing. Later in the year, Char are to be found! Hope that helps some...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

This is all good reading. My brother-in-law did the fly in and float down the Ivisak River a few years ago with much success. Any ideas on where to park the truck on the float out or info for the charter to fly in. Hopefully I can do this trip early next september.

Call & email Mike McCrary at 70 North (907) 659-2544 http://www.seventynorth.com/. Sorry I don't have his satphone number so if he's away from Deadhorse it may take him a few days to get back to you. I've floated the Ivishak twice using Seventy North both times. You won'tfind better service with anyone else.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Caribou-Float

Mike will take great care of you and help you figure out all of the small details. You'll park your truck at the Sag takeout. I think it's pipeline MP 49.9. It's a great trip if there's enough water to float your raft. It's also popular and you won't be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by frat2211 View Post
    This is all good reading. My brother-in-law did the fly in and float down the Ivisak River a few years ago with much success. Any ideas on where to park the truck on the float out or info for the charter to fly in. Hopefully I can do this trip early next september.
    +1 what Birdstrike said. If you do go on this trip, talk to someone who has done it before (several on this forum). Taking the correct channel on the Sag R. so you end up at the take out might not be so obvious. The correct channel (on river left) is marked but no guarantee it will be when you drift through. If you don't take the correct channel you could end up downstream of the take out. No problem if in a jet or air boat, but not much fun if you're in a raft.....

Thanks to Birdstrike and shearej for the information. I have heard more than a few horror stories about missing the take out with a raft. Definately do not want to be "That Guy" who makes his own story. I do not think that I would make this venture without the wife or good friend. I can't wait to get this done next year.

Quote Originally Posted by frat2211 View Post
    Thanks to Birdstrike and shearej for the information. I have heard more than a few horror stories about missing the take out with a raft. Definately do not want to be "That Guy" who makes his own story. I do not think that I would make this venture without the wife or good friend. I can't wait to get this done next year.
    When you shuttle your vehicle to the take out, make sure to GPS the location, then just follow your GPS closely when you sit the Sag. Not the end of the world if you do miss the take out as long as you recognize when you have gone past the point. Just involves taking your raft / gear out, hiking / hitch hiking back up to the take out and driving your truck down the Haul Rd to your take out and portaging your gear.

This is a great river to float, with lots of things to see. Be ready for some dragging during low water conditions. Mike at 70 North is a quality air taxi and has workers that will ferry your vehicle to the take out for you.

Here us the coordinates for both the braid that leads to the take out and the takeout itself.

Chanel to takeout.
    lat= North 69.5478587039, lon= West 148.549979143

Sag Takeout
    lat= North 69.567671176, lon= West 148.600306353

link to our trip report.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rip?highlight=

Have fun and be safe.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have floated it many times, Low water can be a real ***** with the bigger round boats. Look at a map and mark in your GPS where the Ivishak dumps into the Sag!!!! the correct channel is right after you hit the Sag, some years this channel is really small and easy to float by, Last year the correct channel was not marked. I floated past it a few years back, the river had changed so much that my normal land marks were gone.