Thread: "Skeleton" Cub?

Default "Skeleton" Cub?

I was in Bettles a few days ago when a group of Cubs landed. One of them had exposed tubing on the aft, lower section of the fuselage. At first glance, it appeared a bear got the better of it but when I got a better look I had to conclude that either it was built that way or the bear did a mighty neat job. It sort of looks like a cross between a Super Cub and a 1909 Bleriot.

Anyone know anything about that plane? I hadn't heard about a field approval, or stc for that, but I'm not really a Cub guy....Experimental? I wonder what the advantage would be, other than the bit of weight advantage of losing that fabric. Exposed tubing would be more exposed to the elements, but on the other hand, moisture wouldn't get trapped back there either. I wonder how flight charactistics are? Any thoughts?.....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Built in the experimental category by the same guy who did the Big Rocks, Long Props movies. He reported no ill effects from leaving the fabric off the aft lower section. He sold the plane to an Anchorage guy.

Was it yellow and did you notice "got rocks" on the cowling? If so, Mr Pid is right, that plane was built by Graig Miller.

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know I wasn't "seeing things". I don't think the plane was the same one in the video, as that one had no fabric, except for the tailfeathers on the aft fuselage whereas the one I saw had fabric on the top, aft fuselage. That video was impressive, however. Thanks for sharing it...Louis
    Louis Knapp

It's the same one. They put a larger baggage compartment there.
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

Aha, that explains it. I figured there couldn't be too many Cubs like that one running around!
    Louis Knapp

The top baggage is aluminum (not fabric), AND removeable. The rear "D windows" are just painted on the fabric. It was a "Purpose" built Cub. Great Performance with it's High Compression 0-360, and 90" prop.!! Very cool Cub!