Thread: Finally Got To The Range Today...

Default Finally Got To The Range Today...

My week off cycle has finally coincided with good weather so I went to the range with my .500 A-Square Hannibal and my Oehler Model 35 chronograph. It was really cool to take a shot and hear the little printer busily chunking away printing my velocity receipt.

I was shooting the 575 grain cast, gas-checked bullets over 37.5 grains XMR-5744 for an average of 1150 fps. Recoil was next to nothing. The large shell in the middle is a 990 grain bore-rider someone gave me. I was going to shoot it too but I did not get the base under the extractor and made the mistake of closing the bolt. This rifle is made with the extractor so it will not ride up and click over the rim of a shell, the shell MUST come up out of the magazine, or you have to hold the shell down a little so the extractor will engage the rim. The end result was the bullet engaged the rifling and I could not close the bolt, so shooting over!
    That old rest is one I made...oh must have been 15 years ago. Made it on my porch for about $2.50 not including the $20 I paid a buddy of mine to weld together the base. It is fully elevation and windage adjustable. Even though I could now buy the fanciest benchrest rig I can find, I still like using the one I made.

The Oehler is really sweet. The proof channel keeps things honest, and the rig itself is hard to fool. Rarely do I get non-readable shots. For the price, I hope so. I wish I had purchased this years ago.

I didn't take pix of the target. I only have a 1x Burris on top of the rifle, and with the lightweight bullets, they kind of fly around at the low velocity. I am going to add another 5 grains of powder to see if they tighten up, and also will use maybe 100 grains of IMR-7828 to fill the case and get the velocity to around 1500-1800 fps. We'll see then.

I found the dongle for my Pressure Trace so next time I go shooting I will use that to capture some traces for you folks. The charges today were so low-pressure, I couldn't even get some new A-Square brass ironed out. it was fun though.

I know you really can't see much in these pix. If you want to see 1200x1600 pix with excellent detail, go to www.hunt101.com and in the "search" bar enter "Hannibal", and my pix will come up, click on "big".
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

My goodness - whats that thing weigh??? I would have to hire someone just to pack the ammo along - yikes!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

With four rounds in the magazine and one up the pipe, the sling and scope, ready to do serious damage: exactly 13 pounds. And trust me on this, you will want all that too. I fired this when I had first received the rifle when it weighed exactly 11 pounds four ounces with sling and five rounds. I slipped one shell in and pulled the laynard. The experience was something that you have to actually have to have happen to you in order to understand it, but at 122 foot pounds of recoil, the rifle got all over me and I thought I had seriously hurt myself. Really. My right arm was numb for 30 minutes after, so when it began tingling again, I was a very happy camper indeed. I didn't fire the rifle again until I had corresponded with the editor of Handloader magazine to learn how to tame the beast.

This straight walled case takes a high-expansion rate powder like RL-15, which is my favorite. For reduced loads I use slow powders such as IMR-7828, RL-22, H-1000 ect. I can take the velocity from 1000fps up to 2325fps which is the design velocity for my barrel length. Up to 1800 fps is ok. Over 2000 fps is getting stiff, and I can only take 3-4 full-on rounds. The first is ok, the second kinda, and the 3rd and fourth are chores that have to be done. Rolling with the recoil is the name of the game. But again, it's fun.

You can tailor your shells to what you want to shoot. I think a 600 grain solid at 1800 fps would be perfect for a lazer-like accurate shot on moose. I need to do that this year too.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Good luck with the moose hunt - sounds like ya only need one bullet anyways - odds are you will be unconscious after ya pull the trigger!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Good luck with the moose hunt - sounds like ya only need one bullet anyways - odds are you will be unconscious after ya pull the trigger!
    Noooooo...not at 1800 fps. The recoil is like a 12 gauge shotgun.

Goodness Roger, heck of a rifle. Both boys tagged out with a .270, Dunc got his last nite about 8:30.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You can tailor your shells to what you want to shoot. I think a 600 grain solid at 1800 fps would be perfect for a lazer-like accurate shot on moose. I need to do that this year too.
    Sounds like you have the perfect firearm for Mastodon season...
    "Your papers are not in order"

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    With four rounds in the magazine and one up the pipe, the sling and scope, ready to do serious damage: exactly 13 pounds. And trust me on this, you will want all that too. I fired this when I had first received the rifle when it weighed exactly 11 pounds four ounces with sling and five rounds. I slipped one shell in and pulled the laynard. The experience was something that you have to actually have to have happen to you in order to understand it, but at 122 foot pounds of recoil, the rifle got all over me and I thought I had seriously hurt myself. Really. My right arm was numb for 30 minutes after, so when it began tingling again, I was a very happy camper indeed. I didn't fire the rifle again until I had corresponded with the editor of Handloader magazine to learn how to tame the beast.

This straight walled case takes a high-expansion rate powder like RL-15, which is my favorite. For reduced loads I use slow powders such as IMR-7828, RL-22, H-1000 ect. I can take the velocity from 1000fps up to 2325fps which is the design velocity for my barrel length. Up to 1800 fps is ok. Over 2000 fps is getting stiff, and I can only take 3-4 full-on rounds. The first is ok, the second kinda, and the 3rd and fourth are chores that have to be done. Rolling with the recoil is the name of the game. But again, it's fun.

tried to yep yah because ur friggen crazy but the system wouldn't let me rep yah. Can someone rep this crazy guy for me? I totally understand where you're coming from. I shot 5 rounds through a 460 weatherby magnum. What the owner didn't tell me (I was 19 yrs old) was that the last cartidge he handed me was a 500 grain full power handload. the 350 grainers were a reduced load. He laughed for days about how I "recieved" the recoil.

Mainer, I did that with one of my BIL's. He REALLY wanted to shoot it badly, so I gave him a shell, I just grabbed one out of the flip open wallets. I felt like a total 110% A+ ass afterwards. I have never done anything like that again, nor ever will. I can load a shell your 10-yo daughter would like to shoot to show her friends. I learned the hard way, and don't want anyone to have to learn what I did. I was scared of the thing for a while after the first shot.

I've owned the rifle since 1996 so have had the time to learn a few tricks. If you can get over the visual of the size of the thing, it is a rather versatile rifle. I can load .50 BMG projectiles by feeding carefully into the chamber, hooking the extractor under the rim, then closing the bolt. The 619gr APIT tracers are beautiful at night during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Goodness Roger, heck of a rifle. Both boys tagged out with a .270, Dunc got his last nite about 8:30.
    I can see him now in my mind. I will bring a couple rolls of film and see about an inexpensive digital too. I wish the .223 WSSM would shoot perfectly.
    Now I have to go out and abuse my shoulder with that .300 ultra. Eghad!

Interesting and if you happen to miss the moose and he is real close you could club him over the head with that rifle and knock him out, or you could take one of those cartridges out of the magazine and show it to the moose and watch him faint.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

probably!!

I've shot 470 gr cast over ~30 gr unigue for ~1100 fps from my 500 Jeffrey. It's a rediculous amount of fun, just a giant 22rf, but I was amazed how much ice and dirt it displaced behind the target.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've shot 470 gr cast over ~30 gr unigue for ~1100 fps from my 500 Jeffrey. It's a rediculous amount of fun, just a giant 22rf, but I was amazed how much ice and dirt it displaced behind the target.
    Momentum has a way of doing that "Mass x Velocity" It is like a VW bug going 1000 miles an hour and a Freight train engine going 60 miles an hour. They have pretty much the same energy but the momentum of the Train Engine is much greater than the VW bug, that if both were to hit a brick house, the VW bug would be torn into a thousand pieces, but the Train engine would just plow on through and keep on going for a good while.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS