Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place for geese?

Default Best place for geese?

Anyone have any good suggestions for geese? I was looking into hitting up C&S in Delta but wanted to see if anyone had good experiences elsewhere. From what I've read, it seems hit or miss. Thanks!

Default Lake Otis Elementary for Geese

The play ground was full of honkers when I was trying to leave the UAA main campus today. I'd put the stalk on them from the West Campus Drive side, and flush them from there. They are pooping all over the place.

Your local park, school yard, or church grassy area should suffice. Just remember you can hunt anywhere once. It just depends on how much you are willing to $pend.

The ACWR will work if ou can find a way to put the sneak on them.

About all you get now days in south central is a very rare pass shot, anyplace. Watch for a hard frost in the interior, then the numbers here will increase for a few days in most areas, unless the hard frost covers south central also, then the geese will blow right on though. Sometimes good numbers for a week or so, maybe longer rarely. I have heard of people putting out decoy spreads of several hundred on areas of the hayflats and other large fields in the valley, but no idea how well they pulled. Bud
    Wasilla

South Dakota. Geese are tough here, only heard of a few killed ever.

SD is a little farther than I want unfortunately. I was driving home and the baseball fields on Ft. Rich were full of geese. Slightly frustrating to say the least. Thanks to everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it . I'm taking leave for the next two weeks starting Monday so I got plenty of time to try out several areas.

Jay if you want to drive up east of delta junction there is a guy who rents blinds on several large fields, with deks for sandhill cranes, if you hit it right you can do quite well, if not, you get to see more of alaska and a lot of cranes flying by at 200 yds elevation. You should be able to find him on the internet pretty easily, I just don't recall his outfits name off hand, very well known. You may have to call a sporting goods store in delta junction for info. Bud
    Wasilla

Cranes flying at 200 yards that's perfect isn't it, that's in range for the skybuster with a 3.5 inch mag

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Jay if you want to drive up east of delta junction there is a guy who rents blinds on several large fields, with deks for sandhill cranes, if you hit it right you can do quite well, if not, you get to see more of alaska and a lot of cranes flying by at 200 yds elevation. You should be able to find him on the internet pretty easily, I just don't recall his outfits name off hand, very well known. You may have to call a sporting goods store in delta junction for info. Bud
    That is C&S. They hunt blinds on the Schultz farms. Good operation. I hunted there once several years ago - No geese, but shot our limit of cranes - way, way closer than 200 yds. Might do it again sometime. If you go, plan to spend some time on the public land mid-day shooting stupid chickens.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I have no desire to shoot crane and C&S was honest saying that was pretty much it. He also said the cold weather either hasnt started pushing them hard there or they werent going to get great numbers this season. Really nice guy and I really appreciate his honesty and I will be there on opening day next year for specks.

Try the Chickaloon flats on the north side of the Kenai Peninsula. The first 2 weeks of October and that place will be full of geese. It is the best place I know to kill Alaska geese, the Anchorage geese go there to feed and rest. Access can be a challenge, best bet is a fly in. As far as cranes go, several hundred passed over my place yesterday, all headed east.

I talked to C&S yesterday. So far action has been hit or miss, sounds like at least half the days hunters are not connecting at all. I wanted to go up as soon as the interior got some freezing temps, but they are closing operations on 9/28. The lease property will shut down and allow bison hunters in at that time, don't want to mix with bird hunters. Their # 488 2589. Bud
    Wasilla

Yeah, I pretty much chalked up the C&S Delta trip as a no go. Unless I'm deployed, I will be there opening day next year.
    The chickaloon flats trip sounds sweet. Can you ride a quad out there or is it fly in only with a guide?

If you want to access with a quad you can go through the Capt Cook State Park and ride the beach, until you get to the boundary for teh refuge and then walk in the rest. Your not allowed to take a quad through the road along Mystery creek road. I know people the use 4x4 to access by that road but it is quite difficult from what i hear, not one for your everyday ride.

I looked on google maps to check out mystery creek rd. does it go along with the gas line all the way up to the west side. my buddy and i went ptarmigan hunting out past petersville on that road. I am assuming its like that or worse. Gotta take my truck down there and check it out.
    Checked and the cabin up there is booked until the 8th, go figure. May just have to camp it out if I can make it back there.

I don't know how it is now days, but we used to pick up geese on the Fox River flats well into October. Speckled, white fronts and canadians; mostly the latter.. But it is kind of a here today/gone tomorrow situation. Not too hard to get there with a wheeler. Perhaps one of the Homer guys could give you some intel. The biggest difficulty is finding cover on the flats.

Oh, and just to clarify (so nobody gets the wrong idea); make sure you have brought your wheeler to a complete stop before you shoot.

Thanks for all of your help fellas. Gotta construct some blinds before I head out there.

I'm reallly trying to get more info on the chickaloon flats area. Is there any kind of launch area in hope. I have a airboat and don't thing riding along the edge of the flats from hope to the refuge area would be a problem, but need to find out if I can put my boat in a small creek or something in hope. Perhaps where 6 mile dumps in, is there a gravel area I can launch and run the creek out to the arm on and then follow it to the rufuge. I have never been there and just thinking it seems like it might be worthwhle. I can run a inch of water, or on gravel, but can't run on mud, too much suction. Bud
    Wasilla

I looked and there is a fishing charter and rafting service out of hope. Doesn't mean they launch there (maybe six mile) but Resurrection creek runs through hope and the images from google maps looks like there could a launch into the creek off the end of main st. Zoom in on google maps and you'll see what I'm talking about. I can call some places down there tomorrow.

I called a couple of places in Hope and all of them pretty much said no operating launch is in Hope. The fishing charter said you could launch an air boat from 20 mile river. Thats all I got, hope someone who has launched from there chimes in for you Bud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast