Thread: Sagen saw?

Default Sagen saw?

I used a Sagen Saw for the first time this year and it's blade ROCKS! That said the handle is a nightmare for my big hands. Does anyone have an idea for a way to either mod this one or perhaps another saw that uses the same blade but a different grip?

http://www.sageninc.com/ssii.html

We sawed a moose jaw bone and all the ribs with one this year and even with the painful grip it was still the best saw I have used. Sure not going to cut a skull plate or leg bone with it but for butchering I have not found anything better.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That said the handle is a nightmare for my big hands. Does anyone have an idea for a way to either mod this one or perhaps another saw that uses the same blade but a different grip?
    You did a dangerous thing LuJon, you asked if anyone has an idea, not if anyone has a GOOD idea!

Simple: You could just build up the grip by wrapping it with padding and tape. Perhaps a chunk of ensolite or other closed cell foam, folded around it like a taco shell, then wrapped with tape like a boxer's hands. You'd probably want closed cell foam because otherwise the air movement might disrupt the wrappings. You'd probably want some kind of sports wrap tape instead of duct tape, because otherwise the glue would leak around the edges as your hands warmed the tape. I'm guessing you might need to re-wrap it every year.

Fancy: You could fabricate a separate, larger grip to fit your hand, on the same general pattern as the Sagen grip but larger in every dimension (just like a sewing pattern leaves a seam allowance), out of almost any durable material you enjoy working with. Once you have a custom grip, split it in half like a clamshell, trace the Sagen handle on the inside of each half, then ream, gouge, carve, or rout the handle shape in each side, to a depth of half the thickness of the Sagen's handle. Now fit your two custom halves around the Sagen handle like a closing bivalve, then attach the two halves together by any strong method of your choice (depends on what material you work with, and also on what type of plastic Sagen uses if you want to use an adhesive). I'm guessing such a custom handle would only be worth the work if you enjoy the project. (Or maybe you can find a knife maker to make you a custom handle.)

Excessive: You could either learn to create a mold and cast your own plastic handle, or else hire a fabricator to mold a prototype for you. One possible idea for doing it yourself is PlastiFix from USC, at http://urethanesupply.com/plastifixhowto.php depending on the type of plastic. To hire a local fabricator, search 'plastic fabricators near Palmer, AK' or similar, there are several. (Or maybe you know a college student studying to become a CNC machinist who needs a term project.)

Just don't blame me if you actually decide to try any of these ideas!

Nice looking saw but I like the browning ulta light folding saw for the larger range of jobs it can do. Fire wood to moose skulls.
    I used to carry the heavy wyoming saw till I held the browning. The blades are still good after 10 years of miss use. Have you see one of these Lujon?

I have used a bunch of camp saws some even had "bone" blades. They all are better than the sagen for wood but none have come close for cutting ribs.

I like the ideas on modifying the handle. I will have to play with that to get it right. Maybe just build it up with electrical tape the plasti-dip it.

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter353 View Post
    Nice looking saw but I like the browning ulta light folding saw for the larger range of jobs it can do. Fire wood to moose skulls.
    I used to carry the heavy wyoming saw till I held the browning. The blades are still good after 10 years of miss use. Have you see one of these Lujon?
    Checked online at the Browning site- is this the saw you have? http://www.browning.com/products/cat...cattype=322922

Thanks.

No, mine has a about a 20" blade .They make one about 12" also. It is all hollow aluminum and both ends[handles] fold and the blades store inside ,up to three .I carry a wood blade also.

I can't find it on that site. I am holding it now ,it a browning ulta-lite takedown saw ,the blades are 18"

Get a Browning folding saw and forget all that other stuff...
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

I do not think that folding one could cut a moose skull. Mine has cut 2 moose and a few bou ,elk and deer all with the 1st. blade.
    Can any one show a photo of one?

I personally like a two handed saw for the plunge cuts (used a gerber folding model last week....split the keel on a moose very well) but like the good ol Wyoming saw for legs and necks. Hatchet for the antlers.

I imagine hand cramp trying to one-hand saw anything on a moose, but I like the looks of the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter353 View Post
    I can't find it on that site. I am holding it now ,it a browning ulta-lite takedown saw ,the blades are 18"
    Nuts- I can't find it either. Guess they don't make it anymore. Isn't that always the way? Thanks anyway.