Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another dad showing off - Delta youth hunt

Default Another dad showing off - Delta youth hunt

The kid drew a youth moose hunt south of Delta so we loaded the freezer and generator and headed north from POW. Nice to get out of the rain for a bit. A bit over 24 hours on the ferry and we hit Haines and we're on the road.

Haines Bears

Yukon Bear

For a couple guys from SE the scenery was something else. About the only fall colors we get is dying skunk cabbage.

The ferry schedule had us there a few days early so we checked into the caribou season. On our drive to the hunt area we saw lots of rigs headed the other way with racks in the back. Everyone had ATVs or similar we just had boots so we weren't quite sure how it was going to work. Got to talking with a few hunters, got pointed in the right direction and off we go into the brush. We got darn lucky, saw quite a few animals and after chasing them around for a bit got lucky on a couple. The kid was on cloud 9, we're deer hunters so everything up there looked huge to us.

A day off and we we headed to the Delta youth moose hunt. What a great deal that is, anyone out there with kids should be putting in for that. We saw lots of moose, a number of bulls it was spike, fork, fifty, 4 brow tine or a cow hunt. A couple days into it he picked this one out. Barley fed cow moose, doesn't get much better than that. This pretty much filled the freezer.

Funny thing, we don't have squirrels or rabbits and he was just about as happy to chase those as the bou and moose. Doesn't take much to keep em entertained.

Congratulations on the great hunt. So you're having problems finding caribou on POW?

Man, that is fantastic! That Delta youth hunt is such a cool opportunity, and that is great that you got to chase caribou as well. Congratulations to the young hunter!

Did the boy tip the big 'bou over? That thing is a keeper for sure!

BTW, Brian, how did he add 6 pictures to his post?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    BTW, Brian, how did he add 6 pictures to his post?
    We upped the limit a couple of weeks ago.

Too cool! I wonder what the odds are on a kid drawing on that hunt. Would love to take my son and grandson(s) on that moose hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We upped the limit a couple of weeks ago.
    It was a big moment when the limit was lifted. Currently local member strangerinastrangeland is uploading 36 pictures to single post - we should expect his internet connection to let him finish by about this time next year. Don't worry though... I'll be right here looking forward to it when he finally gets done uploading them.

With regard to the original post, I'm tickled to death with the kiddo's success. That's a mighty fine caribou (and moose too).
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

That's great! Congrats to your son. We really enjoyed doing that hunt last year with my niece. I'll keep putting my daughter in for it each year I can. Good job on the bou too, it doesn't get much better than that!

Congrats to the young hunter and to Dad for sharing with us! Looks like he has a very good teacher!
    What did he shoot the critters with anyway?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Too cool! I wonder what the odds are on a kid drawing on that hunt. Would love to take my son and grandson(s) on that moose hunt.
    Low. I don't recall the exact numbers, but am fairly certain it's under 5%.

Good job to both of you - I tried for that tag for several years before my daughter was too old.

WOW! You and the boy had a great harvest. Congrats to both of you and thanks for sharing.

Nice job! It looks like you had a nice trip with good weather. Tell your son he will have a hard time topping those animals next year!

Great job. Looks like a good time for all. Thanks for posting cool picts.
    Tim

IBOHNT, "everything looks big cause were deer hunters"
    There ARE big that's why. Congrats on some beauties.

Cool! One heck of a haul you got there. What did you do with it all? Did Delta meats handle some processing?

I've also been putting in for that moose permit for my oldest daughter. I'd do it just like you and haul up there through Haines. Way to get it done. Now that it is done. Do you feel it a cost effective way to hunt and haul your game home?

Sweet time in the North .... congratulations

and sure is nice getting out and driving for a change ...

Thanks for the kind words. The kid shot the caribou in the second picture, he still points out his is thicker and heavier. He used a 30-06 on this trip. Only ten tags given out for the moose hunt, it's like hitting the lottery.

Bighorse, I think that is the best way to do this hunt. We were able to bring everything we needed for extending camping without dealing with airlines and rentals. You have to have the freezer generator set up to make it work. We are able to freeze everything up for the ferry ride to k-town. Didn't use Delta Meats as we had spare time to deal with it ourselves.

And yes Johnnie the 2000 miles we drove was actually a lot of fun.

Hunting like that on foot, shooting, makeing Meat and comming home a Hunter and Provider.

That is a 'Life Skill' in Nature that is so basic and yet so rare in this world, he's a young
    Man in my book.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast